Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I think I got 3D Banners figured out. EveryFileExplorer lets me create new CGFX files and I was able to extract the CGFX file from Omega Ruby and import into 3DS Max. So I got something a comparison in terms of what size the model should be and perspective and what not.

I've created a 3D banner for my Omega Ruby Randomizer rom and will test it when my 3DS XL comes back tomorrow. I found a tool that lets me build a banner from either a standard PNG or a one that uses a CGFX and CWAV. I haven't had a chance to use it yet due to my 3DS XL being stuck in the mail as I had sent it off last week to get NAND modded. :P

If it works like I think it should, I can make a 3D Banner for your program to make it stand out from the rest. All I would need is the texture assets you want to use and perhaps a 3D model if you can get someone to make something up or I can try and get creative and make something myself. (although it helps to know what exactly your idea would be for a 3D Banner so I have something to start with. :P )

A WAV File of what you want the program select sound effect to be should also be provided if you don't already have one.

EDIT: Seems that EveryFileExplorer doesn't currently support alpha textures when importing OBJ files for a new CGFX file. Not a big issue. Just limits what I can do a little bit. So the design can't use any alpha layers for now. ;)

Also banner texture animations aren't yet supported in any of the CGFX tools I'm aware of so that can't be done for now. (EveryFileExplorer shows an entry for it if one is present, but doesn't show any options when I select it nor does it let me export/replace it)

But a 3D model is definitely better then a 2D one so it will still be a big change from previous homebrew. :D

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
I think I got 3D Banners figured out. EveryFileExplorer lets me create new CGFX files and I was able to extract the CGFX file from Omega Ruby and import into 3DS Max. So I got something a comparison in terms of what size the model should be and perspective and what not.

I've created a 3D banner for my Omega Ruby Randomizer rom and will test it when my 3DS XL comes back tomorrow. I found a tool that lets me build a banner from either a standard PNG or a one that uses a CGFX and CWAV. I haven't had a chance to use it yet due to my 3DS XL being stuck in the mail as I had sent it off last week to get NAND modded. :P

If it works like I think it should, I can make a 3D Banner for your program to make it stand out from the rest. All I would need is the texture assets you want to use and perhaps a 3D model if you can get someone to make something up or I can try and get creative and make something myself. (although it helps to know what exactly your idea would be for a 3D Banner so I have something to start with. :P )

A WAV File of what you want the program select sound effect to be should also be provided if you don't already have one.

EDIT: Seems that EveryFileExplorer doesn't currently support alpha textures when importing OBJ files for a new CGFX file. Not a big issue. Just limits what I can do a little bit. So the design can't use any alpha layers for now. ;)

Also banner texture animations aren't yet supported in any of the CGFX tools I'm aware of so that can't be done for now. (EveryFileExplorer shows an entry for it if one is present, but doesn't show any options when I select it nor does it let me export/replace it)

But a 3D model is definitely better then a 2D one so it will still be a big change from previous homebrew. :D

Sounds good but i've no idea on what can be used for both sound and banner >.<

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, here's my first 3D Banner I did as a test. I found that the 3DS defaults to a spin animation for 3D banners that don't have animation data. So custom ones won't be stationary and boring. :P

I didn't expect the spin animation so my model wasn't setup for that. But my next one will. It looks like the model can take up the entire screen if you want it too.

I might make something for your program when I have some free time and you can take a look and see if it's something you want. You don't necessarily need to use a sound effect. In the above example, I just used the boot up sound my DS Lite makes. :P

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Alrighty, here's my first 3D Banner I did as a test. I found that the 3DS defaults to a spin animation for 3D banners that don't have animation data. So custom ones won't be stationary and boring. :P

I didn't expect the spin animation so my model wasn't setup for that. But my next one will. It looks like the model can take up the entire screen if you want it too.

I might make something for your program when I have some free time and you can take a look and see if it's something you want. You don't necessarily need to use a sound effect. In the above example, I just used the boot up sound my DS Lite makes. :P

Looks awesome, could you describe how you did it?

Reactions: Margen67

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I used 3DSExplorer to extract a CGFX file from an existing banner to use as a reference point so that my new mesh will have the correct scale. I extracted that with 3DS Explorer, then used EveryFileExplorer to open the CGFX file. That's what I used to export it to DAE format so I can open it in my 3D modeling program (3D Studio Max in this case).

I make the model how I want it using the official mesh as a reference point, then export as OBJ file. Then using EveryFileExplorer, I use the New from file menu to create a new CGFX file. That's where I tell it import the OBJ file I created. It creates a new CGFX file. (if the MTL file paired with the OBJ file is setup correctly, it will also import textures for the model)

I then use "bannertool" to build a new banner using my new CGFX file. I also use that to add a custom CWAV so I have a custom sound play when the app is selected in the Home Menu.

Currently it's not possible to create custom animations and alpha blending is not supported yet. I worked around this by just subdividing the mesh the logo is on until I had enough polygons. I then removed polygons that only had alpha on them. I then use a multires modifier to remove the extra polygons on the visible part of the mesh that remained so that it wasn't more complicated then it needed to be.

That's pretty much it. :P

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Why impossible?

The purpose is backing up eShop files without downgrading to 4.5 to get a ticket.db.

if you are on 9.2 or below you can get your ticket.db because you can get your nand ctr partition xorpads with decrypt9

ChrisX930

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I used 3DSExplorer to extract a CGFX file from an existing banner to use as a reference point so that my new mesh will have the correct scale. I extracted that with 3DS Explorer, then used EveryFileExplorer to open the CGFX file. That's what I used to export it to DAE format so I can open it in my 3D modeling program (3D Studio Max in this case).

I make the model how I want it using the official mesh as a reference point, then export as OBJ file. Then using EveryFileExplorer, I use the New from file menu to create a new CGFX file. That's where I tell it import the OBJ file I created. It creates a new CGFX file. (if the MTL file paired with the OBJ file is setup correctly, it will also import textures for the model)

I then use "bannertool" to build a new banner using my new CGFX file. I also use that to add a custom CWAV so I have a custom sound play when the app is selected in the Home Menu.

Currently it's not possible to create custom animations and alpha blending is not supported yet. I worked around this by just subdividing the mesh the logo is on until I had enough polygons. I then removed polygons that only had alpha on them. I then use a multires modifier to remove the extra polygons on the visible part of the mesh that remained so that it wasn't more complicated then it needed to be.

So I can create my own 3D Banner with it, yes? D:

ChrisX930

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes that's pretty much it right there. :P

haha :D thank you very much! :D
I have some experience with Autodesk so it should be able to create a nice looking one for me :>

btw. do you know something about the ctex and cmdl file formats?
I have some examples of them and I want to know how to edit / create such files.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I haven't really worked with those file formats. Also better mention this as you might run into this issue. Normals (for banners) appear to be setup by the visibility settings of edges. So be sure all the normals on your model are set to visible otherwise you will end up with a mesh missing a lot of faces once rendered on the 3DS. (Normals = What side of a face is visible and if they are visible at all)

ChrisX930

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I haven't really worked with those file formats. Also better mention this as you might run into this issue. Normals (for banners) appear to be setup by the visibility settings of edges. So be sure all the normals on your model are set to visible otherwise you will end up with a mesh missing a lot of faces once rendered on the 3DS. (Normals = What side of a face is visible and if they are visible at all)

okay, thank you :)
I'll check those file formats anyways, possibly I could do something with it.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France

It's possible with a free trial of 3D StudioMax ?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it possible to create a check for games? So that they would be listed with their names instead of IDs?
It's quite confusing to always look up the IDs for the corresponding game.
While convenient, it wouldn't be very practical. It'd likely require a constantly updated database and/or an internet connection.

I suppose an update feature that made use Eli Sherer's site could be implemented.
It could extract title information based on the IDs of the .cia archives you have installed and those residing on your SD card, which could then be stored locally.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I no longer have that banner. I accidentally overwritten it when I was making a banner for Sunshell. :P

EDIT: Oh you mean the theme...That's an official theme from the theme shop...no I can not share it with you here. :P

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
While convenient, it wouldn't be very practical. It'd likely require a constantly updated database and/or an internet connection.

I suppose an update feature that made use Eli Sherer's site could be implemented.
It could extract title information based on the IDs of the .cia archives you have installed and those residing on your SD card, which could then be stored locally.

I need a text-only archive to do this.
This website provides useless HTML tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7