WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So recently Nintendo shipped new stock of its limited Zelda New 3DS XL bundle and I bought one. Unfortunately it came with firmware 9.5.0-22E, so no hax for me. Old stock came with firmware 9.0.0-22E.

While I already have a Zelda 3DS XL console, I played lottery to get a hackable one and one with a better screen, but I got an inferior TN panel and an unhackable console.:hateit:

Update: Metallic Black New 3DS XL bought: Firmware 9.4.0-21E
Update 2: Another MM3D New 3DS XL bought: Firmware 9.5.0-24E
Update 3: Another Metallic Black 3DS XL bought: Firmware 9.4.0-21E

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh.
I am willing to bet all mew systems will be updated.
Nintendo is trying to crack down on gateway.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently Nintendo shipped new stock of its limited Zelda New 3DS XL bundle and I bought one. Unfortunately it came with firmware 9.5.0-22E, so no hax for me. Old stock came with firmware 9.0.0-22E.

While I already have a Zelda 3DS XL console, I played lottery to get a hackable one and one with a better screen, but I got an inferior TN panel and an unhackable console.:hateit:

" but I got an inferior TN panel"

what is a TN panel?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read this thread.

ok so to clarify you mean your old 3ds xl zelda edition has the TN panel?
or the MM edition has a TN too

im confused, i only read the 1st page of the thread so any more info or which N3ds XL's use IPS?
is it by region? is by manufacture date?
any other way to tell

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ok so to clarify you mean your old 3ds xl zelda edition has the TN panel?
or the MM edition has a TN too

im confused, i only read the 1st page of the thread so any more info or which N3ds XL's use IPS?
is it by region? is by manufacture date?
any other way to tell
I didn't mention the OLD 3DS XL at all. My 1st Majora's Mask New 3DS XL has an IPS panel, but a yellow tint. My new Majora's Mask 3DS XL has a TN panel and yellow tint. You should read more pages of the thread. Users have been posting pictures of TN vs. IPS panels. Basically it's a lottery whether you get superior IPS panels or inferior TN panels. Nintendo doesn't seem to have quality control of its panels.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't mention the OLD 3DS XL at all. My 1st Majora's Mask New 3DS XL has an IPS panel, but a yellow tint. My new Majora's Mask 3DS XL has a TN panel and yellow tint. You should read more pages of the thread. Users have been posting pictures of TN vs. IPS panels. Basically it's a lottery whether you get superior IPS panels or inferior TN panels. Nintendo doesn't seem to have quality control of its panels.

i have to wonder then if the N3ds and/or N3ds xl panels use screens with more bars in the parallax barrier in them than the old 3ds/xl
i think they are all made by sharp , but im not sure if sharp makes different 3d screens ones with higher bar counts
apparently they make and IPS and a TN version of their 3d screen unless nintendo gets the other ones from a different manufacturer?
either way i wonder if either of them or both have more bars, maybe the IPS one has more?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Is there actually a factual way to check whether the n3ds panel is IPS / TN, or is it just a subjective guess based on observed screen quality?

Reactions: weatMod

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is no way surprising at all, tvs at least are calibrated somewhat at the factory. Sure it's not perfect at all, but at least hey run the configs and flash it onto the system. Why nintendo couldn't do that at the factory is beyond me. You put the stock ICC profile on them, have a "control" screen there. Do a quick look at the two, if they're close enough move on. Hell it could be automated with a webcam thing taking pictures of the screens as they go through three test patterns and verifying they're within the control. It couldn't take that long to do, especially considering the insane profits that they're making off of these things.

Reactions: Margen67

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is there actually a factual way to check whether the n3ds panel is IPS / TN, or is it just a subjective guess based on observed screen quality?
It's not a subjective guess. You can see it clearly whether your screen is IPS or TN. Check the comparison pics in the GAF thread.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
YES!
So you either go for hack-able hardware or an ugly limited edition N3DS.

Glad to see some limitations to this BS. :P
Face it, all n3DS from now on will be 9.3 and above, 9.4 I bet will be the lowest.

I am weird, but I can't see the appeal some people see in that ugly golden 3DS.
To me, it would have been so much better in a purple-ish color with red/black Majora's sigils.

Reactions: weatMod

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the posts regarding the supposed TN vs IPS panels, I haven't seen anyone definitively prove this via model numbers OR even comprehensive visual data. The threads I've seen on this are incredibly opinionated probably because of each individuals visual sensitivities and sensibilities can greatly differ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)