Hacking Question Best way to move from SXOS to Atmosphère

MrSandstorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm currently running sxos emunand on a Lite with the SX Lite modchip, mostly because it was the only thing that worked when the modchips came out, but turns out I still have some shred of self-respect left, so I want to move (more like upgrade) to Atmosphère. More specifically, I'd like to replace the sx bootloader with Spacecraft-NX, then setup Atmosphère sysnand. I'm thinking sysnand because I don't intend to ever use online services, so I couldn't care less if my console gets banned, but is there any other reason not to use it?

Reading through the forums I found THIS tutorial, but it says it's outdated and doesn't apply for mariko consoles. From threads on the various different homebrew I think I was able to piece together an "upgrade path", but I'd like more knowledgeable people to give their input and point out my mistakes. What I came up with is:

1. Go into sx boot menu options and select cleanup
2. Flash Spacecraft-NX firmware to modchip
3. Reformat sd card to FAT32 and copy over files from latest Hekate and Atmosphère github releases
4. Follow this guide to get Atmosphère working

Also, how would I update the Switch since ChoiDuJour doesn't work for mariko sysnand? I saw people mentioning "Daybreak" and apparently that's the best way, but couldn't find much more.

Thanks in advance for your help!

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run both SXOS and Atmosphere. SXOS allows you to use all USB storage devices to play games without installation. You can use ArgonNX or Hekate to boot to a Multi OS selection menu and pick from there. You can also set Atmosphere as default to start it at boot automatically and go to SXOS when you hold L during boot. SXOS's USB loading works with HDD, SSD, SD card readers, flashdrives and anything else you have. With an OTG cable it works in handheld too. You should at least save a backup of your NAND while it is on a SX compatible firmware in case you want it later. Easier to restore than downgrading.

As for online. Using your SysNAND (if it's clean) is the typical way. You CAN go online with a clean EmuNAND as well. That's what I have been doing for over a year now. I could help you set up any of these scenarios. I actually use an EmuNAND for SXOS. An EmuNAND for Atmosphere(dirty) android and linux on one card and a seperate SD with a clean EmuNAND for online.

Ps, true self respect means doing what you want and not just following the leader. SXOS is still useful and the only way to utilize usb mass storage devices.. You already paid for the license. Use it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For the record, EmuNAND has a few benefiits. It functions completely separate from your SysNAND. It is essentially a second console. What happens in EmuNAND stays on EmuNAND. You can use it do shady stuff you dont want on your SysNAND. Use it to give someone else their own console (like a kid or sibling) use one to have separate game lists (adult or kid friendly) or to protect yourself from bricks and malicious code. If EITHER your SysNAND or EmuNAND breaks you can use the other. IF your internal chip dies you can use an EmuNAND. You don't technically need your internal chip once you have EmuNAND. Your internal NAND can even be removed. You can also have several EmuNANDs on one SD or several across several SD cards. It's a good idea to set one up. Just in case.

Last edited by mikefor20,

MrSandstorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you all very much for your help. I understand things more clearly now, and I think I should be able to set things up now.

I've been reconsidering my initial idea, but I think I'll still be going Spacecraft + Atmosphère sysnand, and keep a full nand backup and the tools to restore the modchip to the original firmware in case I decide to use SXOS again in the future. I never use usb loading or any online functionality, and I'm the only person who uses this console, so I think having a single cfw on sysnand should work for me (plus I'll get to use the built in memory in addition to the uSD). Also, if something goes wrong with the sysnand, I'll have a full backup ready to restore.

I don't hate SXOS or anything, but I have been facing a few issues with it. Things like the reboot option not working, the unfriendly cheats interface combined with EdiZon not fully working, and a personal bad history with closed-source homebrew. Very minor, nitpicky stuff, I know, but add to that the uncertain future of TX and it's enough for me to want to use something else.

Again, thank you all for your help!

Reactions: Kioku

MrSandstorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why not an emuMMC? If this bricks, you can easily create a new one.
Yeah, that's my biggest concern with sysnand, but it seems easy enough to just restore a full backup if anything goes wrong. Or is there something that could go wrong that a full restore wouldn't fix?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's my biggest concern with sysnand, but it seems easy enough to just restore a full backup if anything goes wrong. Or is there something that could go wrong that a full restore wouldn't fix?
it should be able to be restored just fine.. but having emuMMC is a a extra level of security... basically fool proof. I keep an extra sd with emuMMC back up in a drawer just in case.

Reactions: MrSandstorm

MrSandstorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it should be able to be restored just fine.. but having emuMMC is a a extra level of security... basically fool proof. I keep an extra sd with emuMMC back up in a drawer just in case.
That's a great idea. I think I'll do the same and have an emuMMC card ready to go in case it's needed. Thanks!

MrSandstorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are you starting clean, then?

I've got the SX Core chip and moved to Spacecraft/Atmos. No regrets.
Yes! That's exactly the idea, start clean and build up from there.

One small hiccup so far: I was getting the "No SD" screen after flashing spacecraft even though there was a uSD card in the console. I thought it was a bad flash, tried reflashing both Spacecraft and the original SX firmware several times with no change, just to find out that apparently the modchip doesn't even try to read cards smaller than 64GB (I tried using a temporary 32GB card while my main one was reformatting).

Reactions: Kioku

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes! That's exactly the idea, start clean and build up from there.

One small hiccup so far: I was getting the "No SD" screen after flashing spacecraft even though there was a uSD card in the console. I thought it was a bad flash, tried reflashing both Spacecraft and the original SX firmware several times with no change, just to find out that apparently the modchip doesn't even try to read cards smaller than 64GB (I tried using a temporary 32GB card while my main one was reformatting).
Maybe your 32 GB SD card was a fake?

MrSandstorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe your 32 GB SD card was a fake?
I tried with two different 32gb cards, one Lexar and one SanDisk, both purchased from reputable sellers and both verified with h2testw. I know that doesn't completely throw out the possibility of either card being fake, but I've been using them for years on other devices where they've been filled to capacity over and over without issue.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried with two different 32gb cards, one Lexar and one SanDisk, both purchased from reputable sellers and both verified with h2testw. I know that doesn't completely throw out the possibility of either card being fake, but I've been using them for years on other devices where they've been filled to capacity over and over without issue.
Well if you verified with them h2testw, that actually ensures they are real. My apologies.

mrsoczi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Can anyone provide a step-by-step tutorial on how to dual-boot Atmo and SXOS on my Lite with SX Lite chip? I am a bit afraid to tinker myself by collecting scraps of data from multiple threads as this Lite is to precious to damage. I have SXOS on emuNAND, upgraded to FW 11.0.0 using ChoiDujourNX. Thanks.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: