Homebrew Best way to make a boot snes DVD for wii?

sabelstrom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi.

I have been surfing around in two days now and only fund threads in forums from 2007 and 2008 about this.

But this forum seems up to date.

So i wounder how to make a bootable snes DVD with roms on it for the wii.

Have read about the WIIUI but it sems it isnt up to date. But the Snes9X GX seems up to date, is it the best emulator?

If it is, where can i read wish program to use to make the boot disc and how to know where to put the emulator files, rom files and cheat files?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only way to have a wii-mode disc that will be shown in the system menu and can be booted from any game loader is to use the wii disc structure, with partitions and encryption and whatnot.

so, you want to make a disc image that has your homebrew as its main.dol. and if you want to store roms on the disc and allow your program to read them, you need to store them in the wii disc structure as well since your disc is already in that format.

then you need to make your homebrew able to read this structure. there is an fst devotab in ftpii & wiixplorer that allows reading this structure. i started out by using this devotab, but soon found out that it wasnt the best for what i was doing, so i re-wrote much of it and slimmed it down. basically i gutted the normal DVD reading stuff in the emulator and replaced it with a devotab that can read the wii disc structure.

and from there, youre golden. you have a disc that you can boot with any available loader ( but requires an IOS with the sign checking bug ), and the disc contains all your roms, and your emulator knows how to read these roms. my first attempt took a couple days, so you could have it done by this weekend.

however, you wouldnt want to give it away as a birthday present, even neglecting the fact that sharing roms is piracy. you still wont have a pretty banner to show in the disc channel. and you probably would want to put it through some pretty good testing before you gave it as a gift.

sabelstrom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, that seems complicated.

Seems like WIIUI dose the same thing.

The wii have wiikey 1.9 somthing, homebrew chanel, neogama 7 and everything els you need to have to play New Super Mario Bros.

It have Gamecube controllers.

For example i think this one is just put in the dvd and play:
- no -

and this one:
- no -
Just want to do it simple, dosent matter if its a Game Cube boot as logn as it works.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I think I found an easy way to do it, if you follow the steps.
First of all, I've only tested this on dolphin, I will edit this after testing on my softmodded wii to make sure it work correctly.
EDIT:cant test this on my wii due to the fact I cant find any dvd's to burn it to
Second, this uses gamecube mode, so you won't be able to use a wii controller.

OK, now, how to do it:

Step 1: Downloading The Files
You will need the following files:
1.BootableDisk3.rar
2.SNES 9x GX 4.1.1 (I know it's not the latest, but it's the latest one that works with a bootable disk)
3.your romz, but you dont need to download those, cuz they are legal backups, amiright?

Step 2: Getting it all ready
1.Extract the BootableDisk3.rar to an empty folder
2.Right-click the "BootableDisc.bat" and click Edit. A notepad window should open up. Replace all the text there with the following:
Code:
mkisofs.exe -R -J -G .\my_bootable_disc\gbi.hdr -no-emul-boot -b bootldr.dol -o gcdisc.iso .\my_bootable_disc
now save the file and close the notepad window.
3.inside the "my_bootable_disc" folder, extract the snes9xgx-gc.dol file, and rename it to "bootldr.dol" (without the quotes)
4.create a new folder inside the "my_bootable_disc" folder, and name it "snes9xgx" and inside that folder, crate another one called "roms"
5.your "my_bootable_disc" folder should now be like this:
Code:
|--my_bootable_disc
ÂÂÂÂ| bootldr.dol
ÂÂÂÂ| gbi.hdr
ÂÂÂÂ|--snes9xgx
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ|--roms
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ| all your roms go here

(if that makes any sense)
6.Put all your roms in the "roms" folder
7.now go back to the original folder and run the "BootableDisc.bat" file if all goes well, it should finish and output a .iso file in the same folder
8.now you can burn that iso to a disk, and...

Step 3: Playing it

1.test it, make sure everything works, and enjoy!

NOTE:all the roms must be smc's and have the .smc file extension or they will not work!
Sorry if this is hard to understand, I made it in a rush, PM me, or post here if you need help

Reactions: alfabravo

knm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think I found an easy way to do it, if you follow the steps.
First of all, I've only tested this on dolphin, I will edit this after testing on my softmodded wii to make sure it work correctly.
EDIT:cant test this on my wii due to the fact I cant find any dvd's to burn it to
Second, this uses gamecube mode, so you won't be able to use a wii controller.

OK, now, how to do it:

Step 1: Downloading The Files
You will need the following files:
1.BootableDisk3.rar
2.SNES 9x GX 4.1.1 (I know it's not the latest, but it's the latest one that works with a bootable disk)
3.your romz, but you dont need to download those, cuz they are legal backups, amiright?

Step 2: Getting it all ready
1.Extract the BootableDisk3.rar to an empty folder
2.Right-click the "BootableDisc.bat" and click Edit. A notepad window should open up. Replace all the text there with the following:
Code:
mkisofs.exe -R -J -G .\my_bootable_disc\gbi.hdr -no-emul-boot -b bootldr.dol -o gcdisc.iso .\my_bootable_disc
now save the file and close the notepad window.
3.inside the "my_bootable_disc" folder, extract the snes9xgx-gc.dol file, and rename it to "bootldr.dol" (without the quotes)
4.create a new folder inside the "my_bootable_disc" folder, and name it "snes9xgx" and inside that folder, crate another one called "roms"
5.your "my_bootable_disc" folder should now be like this:
Code:
|--my_bootable_disc
ÂÂÂÂ| bootldr.dol
ÂÂÂÂ| gbi.hdr
ÂÂÂÂ|--snes9xgx
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ|--roms
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ| all your roms go here

(if that makes any sense)
6.Put all your roms in the "roms" folder
7.now go back to the original folder and run the "BootableDisc.bat" file if all goes well, it should finish and output a .iso file in the same folder
8.now you can burn that iso to a disk, and...

Step 3: Playing it

1.test it, make sure everything works, and enjoy!

NOTE:all the roms must be smc's and have the .smc file extension or they will not work!
Sorry if this is hard to understand, I made it in a rush, PM me, or post here if you need help

It been a long time I haven't use "GC Bootable Disc" and it was fun play multiple homebrews and emulators with rom on DVD on Gamecube. But I have a question, but I was thinking, it theres a way they can create "Homebrew Bootable Disc for Wii" by modified GC Bootable Disc?

BTW, I got the guide on the different page so it learn how to create emulators on ISO/WBFS (https://gbatemp.net/threads/emulator-and-homebrew-to-iso-wbfs-on-wii-mode.394516/).

Last edited by knm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E