Hacking Best way of storing backups

Zerox8610

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got myself a Wii and I'm planning on hacking it from Day 1.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to store backups?? DVDs? HDD? SD cards??
and .... maybe the cheapest way? haha thanks ahead of time!

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally burn a copy to DVD, then install the game onto the Fat32 HDD.

That way, whenever the .wbfs file gets corrupted (it'll happen eventually), you'll have your disc to install a new copy.

DVD's are cheap, too.

alexh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The aesthetic choice has to be the 500GB WD Passport Essential in Arctic White. (WDBACY5000AWT)

It matches the white Wii case perfectly.
It has an ultrafast USB3 interface for transferring files on the PC and compatible USB2 for the Wii.
It's relatively small capacity means it is not an Advance Format (4Kbyte sectors) drive so has full compatibility with all Wii apps.
It's a bit pricey compared to the competition (iOmega)
frown.gif

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Devante said:
That way, whenever the .wbfs file gets corrupted (it'll happen eventually), you'll have your disc to install a new copy.

wbfs partition gets corrupted

don't use wbfs partition , use fat32 and no problems with wbfs files

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you use a FAT32, don't you get locked down by the 4GB filesize limit? What will you do with Dual Layer games?

I'd have to go with NTFS personally.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
.wbfs files are normally split at the 4 GiB border to avoid problems

loaders/managers do this automatically without you noticing

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
I store my backups on my PC HDD and an external HDD (which is used to the wii). The odds of both of the HDDs dying at the same time is close to nil.

But ofc I have the original discs as well *COUGHS*
rolleyes.gif

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
FIX94 said:
Just store the wbfs files on your pc hdd too to make sure if your wii hdd is broken you have a backup.

thats exactly what i do. whats this about .wbfs corruption? ive been using WBFS Manager for years now with the same drive and never had any game or data loss. Ive read about the FAT32 thing and how everyone shud use it now, but ive not bothered so far. Will i notice any speed increase when loading games or what reason shud i switch to FAT32 plz?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
KTroopA said:
thats exactly what i do. whats this about .wbfs corruption? ive been using WBFS Manager for years now with the same drive and never had any game or data loss. Ive read about the FAT32 thing and how everyone shud use it now, but ive not bothered so far. Will i notice any speed increase when loading games or what reason shud i switch to FAT32 plz?
Well FAT32 is just better if the data gets corrupted because you can access the file system directly with your OS and no other programs are needed. The files are also taking less space on it btw. Check out wii backup manager and wbfs2fat if you think about a conversion.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Use a HDD with 2 partitions where 1 is FAT32 and the other is NTFS. Why? That way you can bypass the stupid noobiness 4GB only transfer. Give the FAT32 partition 100MB for the loader files. Should be plentliful. The rest of your games should be dumped inside your NTFS disk. You can keep them as .iso, but that would mean it will be uncompressed and will waste up your storage. Download Wii Backupmanager and simpy use that program to transfer. It will automatically make them into .wbfs format(Not the same as wbfs partiton and yes .wbfs format compress all the useless data on the .iso file) and then you go and game til you quit and get urself a PS3.

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
FIX94 said:
KTroopA said:
Well FAT32 is just better if the data gets corrupted because you can access the file system directly with your OS and no other programs are needed. The files are also taking less space on it btw. Check out wii backup manager and wbfs2fat if you think about a conversion.

Will give that a try. thx dude
smile.gif

Pyrate02

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my humble opinion:

I have had a WBFS WD portable hard drive connected to my Wii for years and it has never been corrupted. Also, I have modded many Wii's for friends/relatives all with WBFS and none have ever reported a problem. Also, I don't like making partitions on drives and storing all of the files/covers on the hdd because it is slower to load up than from SD. Further, its easier to update/change files on an SD card, at least for me.

As for which hard drive to use, I prefer and recommend WD portable elements. The latest passport drives have crapware built in that you cannot fully disable or get rid of. This will interfere with and will not work with the Wii.

As for storage of games, get a large external or internal hard drive and keep them there. There really is no point to burning them to DVD. I used WD 3tb external hard drive to keep my iso files on.

Pyrate

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zerox8610 said:

HDD, NTFS, 2TB or smaller. I've put many, many, many hours of thought into this.

minimum one mirror copy of each set of games. preferable 3 copies.

Bauldrick

Trophies
XP
Country
Zerox8610 said:

Store backups?

Along time ago I converted alot (most at the time) of my games to .wia that made the average .wbfs file much smaller, thus fitting more onto whatever device I (you if you like) choose to store them on. Ofcourse if I ever need to use them again I have to convert them back to .wbfs, but it saved alot of space and thus I suppose saved me money (cheapest way?)

There were some results somewhere, I can't find them, but alot of .wbfs files were reduced hugely

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To my limited knowledge, that clustersize doesn't matter much. It must be below 32K or below to get sneek to work (source), but that's about it as far as the wii is concerned. For what clustersize is and what impact it has, you'll better use google a bit.

EDIT: JoostinOnline corrected me.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
To my limited knowledge, that clustersize doesn't matter much. It must be below 32K to get sneek to work (source), but that's about it as far as the wii is concerned. For what clustersize is and what impact it has, you'll better use google a bit.
32K or below if you plan to use *NEEK. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far