Hacking Best R4 Firmware Available Overall?

mariomaniac33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been wanting to know if the clone R4 firmwares are any better than the last official v1.18 R4 update. It doesn't look like R4 will be releasing another official update (but we can't confirm this until September 15th).

My question is which R4 firmware is better out of the three:

Official R4 v1.18
R4 SDHC v1.21 (from www.r4sdhc.com)
R4-III v3.02 (from www.r4dsl.net)

R4 SDHC reports what they have updated, but R4-III does not. I'm assuming that both of them are clones from different companies, but does one of the firmwares stand out to be the best? Or are they both so bad that they are a waste of time to even try?

Oh, and I have an original R4 by the way (I have already upgraded to CycloDS because of the Wii-DS compatibility issue, but I would like to get the most out of my R4 since I have two DSes).

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Hopefully one of them is significantly better...

beve

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
you carnt run them on real R4's if thats what you want
i made firmware that look like them search custom firmware

if that what you want and use ysmenu if you want game compatibility

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
beve, seriously, shut up. those aren't custom firmware. those are just clone firmwares that you've downloaded from clone sites.
you can run them on your DS, but all of the latest firmware is the same.
no differences in compatibility or features- all are the same.
just use the real genuine firmware.

mariomaniac33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh really? The clone websites made fake updates? Figures.... it's a typical thing for a clone company to do. I think I may try the YSMenu technique on my R4, but just to make sure, can you still use the R4 v1.18 firmware with the YSMenu if you replace YSMenu with Moonshell? Or will that not work?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
beve said:
you carnt run them on real R4's if thats what you want
i made firmware that look like them search custom firmware

if that what you want and use ysmenu if you want game compatibility
Yes you can, I got just about every clone firmware to work on my original R4. They either just need a small patch or to be encrypted. Its fairly easy but useless.

The clones use the same exact firmware as the original R4 except for some hex editing here and there. They don't have their own firmware they basically steal the R4's firmware which means the clones won't release any updates to the firmware when the R4 dies out.

beve

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
psycoblaster said:
beve, seriously, shut up. those aren't custom firmware. those are just clone firmwares that you've downloaded from clone sites.

Seriously i could put game compatibility updates in but you guys abuse them so im not!

netter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I vote for ysmenu~!!
grog.gif

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
beve said:
psycoblaster said:

Seriously i could put game compatibility updates in but you guys abuse them so im not!
You couldnt do that to save your life.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
beve said:
psycoblaster said:

Dude, seriously, are yu Eric Bana in disguise? You can't even set up YSMenu correctly, how do you reckon that you could put game compatibility updates in? It's a little harder than hex editing a string? Unless of course you're thinking of hex editing YSMenu to look like another one of your super duper h4x0r firmwares. It's something I can actually see you attempting, but be forewarned that it would take about 10 seconds for people to figure it out and a lifetime for them to stop laughing at you.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't use any of the clones firmwares. They're not better at all, because they're just quick hacks.

I would recommend YSMenu. It takes a bit of work to set up, but once you have you have one of the best loaders available with near-perfect game compatibility.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
NatsuMatto said:
Aside from adding compatibility for a small number of games, what are the benfits of using YSMenu?
built-in gba support and etc, also lets you load nes and gbc games if you get the the emulators that run on a gba pak.

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephiroth said:
NatsuMatto said:
Aside from adding compatibility for a small number of games, what are the benfits of using YSMenu?
built-in gba support and etc, also lets you load nes and gbc games if you get the the emulators that run on a gba pak.

So if you don't have a Slot2 card, the only benefit is that you can run those few games that don't work with the R4 1.18 firmware?

Seems like a lot of work.

beve

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
im not putting game compatibility IN even if you can believe i can or not

wheres the quit gba temp button i want off!

D

Deleted-119707

beve said:
im not putting game compatibility IN even if you can believe i can or not

wheres the quit gba temp button i want off!

well YOU cant add any game compatability. Just Hex-Editing aint coding...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Broken condoms lead to broken hearts, won't someone think of the children!!! Lol +1