Best PC Gaming Controller

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by godreborn, Oct 30, 2017.

1. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm looking for a controller to use with steam and emulators. I tried my wii u pro controller and xbox 360 controller. the wii u pro contro696ller has issues with the start button. it keeps coming up as weird button presses or even coming up as disabled (snes9x). with the xbox 360 controller, there's a probably with double tapping the left and right buttons (mega man x). I need a controller that won't give me trouble. would that be the xbox one controller? how is the dpad with that controller? the xbox 360 controller has one of the worst dpads.

2. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Suspended
    Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    The xbones controller is amazing

felix.200, godreborn and TheVinAnator like this.
  3. RyanAnayaMc

RyanAnayaMc The ACE

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    The Xbox One controller is fairly solid for use on PC, although I really wouldn't praise its d-pad. For the purpose of emulators, I personally really like the Wii U Pro with WiinuSoft - it works great on any Steam game, and presumably on any emulator that supports controllers (I personally tested it for Dolphin). The Switch Pro controller is, in my opinion, a pure upgrade to the Xbox controller (although it does lack the analog triggers) because it has great sticks, nice buttons, and an awesome d-pad. The only downside to the Switch Pro is that you have to deal with x360ce for most games, which can get annoying. I have personally used this with Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, and it works like a charm.

4. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Suspended
    Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Pro controller dpad is too squishy for me

godreborn likes this.
  5. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    If you have Bluetooth, there are methods and free software to use both Dualshock 3 and Dualshock 4 controllers with PC.

godreborn likes this.
  6. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I tried connecting to wiinusoft, but I couldn't make a connection. I paired the controller, but I could never connect to it.

7. jDSX

jDSX Is a furry

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    New doink city
    I use either the xbone or PS4 controllers when playing emulators.

godreborn likes this.
  8. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Suspended
    Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    The Xbox controller are quite different to the dual shocks and are in my opinion less comfortable with the button anolg and trigger placement and design

godreborn likes this.
  9. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    what is the name of the software to use a dual shock 4?

10. RyanAnayaMc

RyanAnayaMc The ACE

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    There's DS4Windows which I used a really long while back. It's pretty much WiinuSoft for your DS4 - it emulates it as an Xbox controller.

godreborn likes this.
  11. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    DS4Windows

godreborn likes this.
  12. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I've been using the newer versions of the SCP tool to use my DS3 controllers for years. Practically flawless as long as you've got a decent Bluetooth dongle; all you need to do is disable the notification sounds. It's a shame the battery life on the DS4 is so awful; it's getting harder to find genuine DS3s as replacements.

godreborn likes this.
  13. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I could never get wiiunsoft to work, so I don't know if I'll have much luck with ds4windows.

14. Hatchetball

Hatchetball Modder/PCTECH

Sep 26, 2010
    United States
    Mississippi
    The one that is comfortable when you use it. I use and have several types but prefer a xbox 360 or xbox one elite controller. It just suits my large hands.

godreborn likes this.
  15. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    thanks. the wii u pro controller is being read as charge 2. I don't understand why this isn't working.

16. godreborn
    OP

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I discovered the problem. I've now successfully connected the wii u pro controller. :)

17. Trash_McPhail

Trash_McPhail GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Xbox One Controller is my personal favourite.

godreborn likes this.
  18. wafflestick

wafflestick (insert title here)

Jun 24, 2010
    United States
    US
    currently using the Nvidia Shield controller that was included with my shield TV works great!

godreborn likes this.
  19. Taffy

Taffy AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    jam a potato into your USB port. done

Hm.... All I've ever used was an Arduino Esplora and a Wiimote.

I'd say if you plug a classic controller into a wiimote, but what do I know?

godreborn likes this.
  20. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    The Xbox One dpad is surprisingly MILES better than the 360 one, and is my personal choice for todays games anyway. For any emulators though I used an 8bitdo which is fantastic on the PC. Also got a DS4, decent pad, not as good as the others for what I use them, but a good 'in between' pad if you only want one, and the touch pad is a good bonus for controlling your pointer ;)

godreborn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice