Best OS

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Wizerzak, Dec 24, 2010.

?

Pick one!

1. Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mac OS X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ubuntu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other Linux based OS

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Dec 24, 2010

Best OS by Wizerzak at 4:12 PM (9,736 Views / 0 Likes) 124 replies

1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    What do you think is the best OS and why? Please don't criticize any OS' performance that you haven't used and so cannot confirm.

Options to choose from:
    Windows
    Mac OS X
    Ubuntu
    Other Linux based OSs (sorry don't know much about Linux)
    Google Chrome OS (i know it's not out yet)

Any others that i haven't listed please tell me and i will add them to the vote, its just these are the most common.

Also i have added another vote for best windows version as i know this is another big debate.

Sorry if this has been posted like a million times before, i could find it anywhere....

2. KuRensan

Member KuRensan aka Pearbook

Netherlands
    definitely mac OSX. It's a lot easier than windows, No virus', easy instal + deinstall

3. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Windows 7 by far i have installed every one of these and none can compare to its user friendly appeal.
    And if you install a PCI or PCI-Express before installing OS 9 times out of 10 it will install a basic driver to run it.

4. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    7 all the way, I know there are alternatives for Windows software but I'm to lazy to look them up. Also I like PC games.

5. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Ubuntu Beryl >>> Windows Vista,

6. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    Windows...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    Here's my Ubuntu desktop:

Now, compare THAT to a windows desktop and come tell me it isn't awesome.

8. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    its just the background image that makes it cool....

9. pikachu945

Member pikachu945 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    agreed lol

10. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    OK, compare it to my Windows 7 desktop, then tell me mine isn't awesome.

11. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    BSD FTW

12. Pyrmon

Canada
    Can your desktop do THIS:

13. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    No, but my tablet laptop can, and that's running Vista. EDIT: so can several of the computers from my old high school, which run XP.

Gimmicks don't make an OS, capability and functionality does. Speed also helps.

14. Pyrmon

Canada
    That was just showing of the UI and level of customization possible with the Ubuntu OS. It is also quite fast and it doesn't get viruses. Oh, and it's free and open-source. And I do believe Ubuntu to be quite capable and to have all the functionality of Windows and more.

15. Bunie

Member Bunie #1 Princess

United States
    too late to vote it seems. its good to see people still have some common sense. Compatibility and speed is key, and windows has always won in these categories. open OS's fail because there's so many types that hardware support is near impossible to find, making them generally slower, especially for graphics cards. an open OS really does nothing for the average user, or even above-average users. nobody is going to build and compile a Linux distro. nobody i know anyway. slight tweaks can be done with programs on any OS, there's really no need to modify the source. [​IMG]

16. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    My Windows OS is running on shitty hardware (dual core Pentium, 2GB of RAM) and still boots in under a minute. I don't get viruses because I don't download stuff from dodgy sites. Free and open source? Well, I have the free part if you catch my drift... [​IMG] All of this and I can run any program I want without hassle. And don't say it's because I haven't tried Linux, I used Ubuntu as my main OS for 2 or 3 months. I liked it, yes, but it just lacked the functionality and programs I needed. That's why I see no reason to stop using Windows.

17. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Give me that wallpaper.

18. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    I know I have no need for it!

It's a matter of principle. The profit of a community built by the talent of the community for the benefit of the community, instead of the profit of a company, by the talent of a company, for the benefit of the company. Guess it kinda boils down to philosophy, rather than need.

But yes, for the average user, with no standards, OS/X or Windows will be much better, if only for the software compatibility. Especially for video games. Relatively few games are cross-platform with linux, and even fewer are exclusives. Wine isn't really built for gaming, but it will run pretty well with most things, or you could just pay for Cedega.

19. Pyrmon

Canada
    I have installed and used Ubuntu and other Linux distros on a large number of computers and they never failed me. There was plenty of support and drivers. And why are you talking of compiling a Linux distro? I don't think anyone as to do that to get Linux running on their machine. And windows didn't always win in those categories, it was beaten to death by Mac OS and Linux several times before. I can have control of most if not all the activity of my computer, I can make Linux look and feel like whatever I want, yes even Windows 7. It is so much more adaptable out of the box. And if Windows was so much better, why does Google use Ubuntu?

20. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    True, Ubuntu and Linux in general is very customisable. It's also very fast. It also gets viruses. It's free, although being open-source only matters to the development community. To end users, being free is one of the main features.

As for being capable and as functional as Windows... well, I've not seen that. A computer running Ubuntu will have no access to any other system on my network (making network gaming impossible) and have flakey performance with the internet due to the way my security is set up. Add the fact that the majority of my games won't run on it... well anyway, that's not to say that it's not capable, but I've not seen it be as functional as Windows.

EDIT: Am I the only one who feels this thread isn't really needed on GBATemp?