Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you think is the best OS and why? Please don't criticize any OS' performance that you haven't used and so cannot confirm.

Options to choose from:
Windows
Mac OS X
Ubuntu
Other Linux based OSs (sorry don't know much about Linux)
Google Chrome OS (i know it's not out yet)

Any others that i haven't listed please tell me and i will add them to the vote, its just these are the most common.

Also i have added another vote for best windows version as i know this is another big debate.

Sorry if this has been posted like a million times before, i could find it anywhere....

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Windows 7 by far i have installed every one of these and none can compare to its user friendly appeal.
And if you install a PCI or PCI-Express before installing OS 9 times out of 10 it will install a basic driver to run it.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my Ubuntu desktop:

Screenshot.png

Now, compare THAT to a windows desktop and come tell me it isn't awesome.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That was just showing of the UI and level of customization possible with the Ubuntu OS. It is also quite fast and it doesn't get viruses. Oh, and it's free and open-source. And I do believe Ubuntu to be quite capable and to have all the functionality of Windows and more.

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too late to vote it seems. its good to see people still have some common sense. Compatibility and speed is key, and windows has always won in these categories. open OS's fail because there's so many types that hardware support is near impossible to find, making them generally slower, especially for graphics cards. an open OS really does nothing for the average user, or even above-average users. nobody is going to build and compile a Linux distro. nobody i know anyway. slight tweaks can be done with programs on any OS, there's really no need to modify the source.
moogle.gif

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
That was just showing of the UI and level of customization possible with the Ubuntu OS. It is also quite fast and it doesn't get viruses. Oh, and it's free and open-source. And I do believe Ubuntu to be quite capable and to have all the functionality of Windows and more.
My Windows OS is running on shitty hardware (dual core Pentium, 2GB of RAM) and still boots in under a minute. I don't get viruses because I don't download stuff from dodgy sites. Free and open source? Well, I have the free part if you catch my drift...
wink.gif
All of this and I can run any program I want without hassle. And don't say it's because I haven't tried Linux, I used Ubuntu as my main OS for 2 or 3 months. I liked it, yes, but it just lacked the functionality and programs I needed. That's why I see no reason to stop using Windows.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Bunie said:
no need to modify the source.
moogle.gif

I know I have no need for it!

It's a matter of principle. The profit of a community built by the talent of the community for the benefit of the community, instead of the profit of a company, by the talent of a company, for the benefit of the company. Guess it kinda boils down to philosophy, rather than need.

But yes, for the average user, with no standards, OS/X or Windows will be much better, if only for the software compatibility. Especially for video games. Relatively few games are cross-platform with linux, and even fewer are exclusives. Wine isn't really built for gaming, but it will run pretty well with most things, or you could just pay for Cedega.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
too late to vote it seems. its good to see people still have some common sense. Compatibility and speed is key, and windows has always won in these categories. open OS's fail because there's so many types that hardware support is near impossible to find, making them generally slower, especially for graphics cards. an open OS really does nothing for the average user, or even above-average users. nobody is going to build and compile a Linux distro. nobody i know anyway. slight tweaks can be done with programs on any OS, there's really no need to modify the source. moogle.gif

I have installed and used Ubuntu and other Linux distros on a large number of computers and they never failed me. There was plenty of support and drivers. And why are you talking of compiling a Linux distro? I don't think anyone as to do that to get Linux running on their machine. And windows didn't always win in those categories, it was beaten to death by Mac OS and Linux several times before. I can have control of most if not all the activity of my computer, I can make Linux look and feel like whatever I want, yes even Windows 7. It is so much more adaptable out of the box. And if Windows was so much better, why does Google use Ubuntu?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
True, Ubuntu and Linux in general is very customisable. It's also very fast. It also gets viruses. It's free, although being open-source only matters to the development community. To end users, being free is one of the main features.

As for being capable and as functional as Windows... well, I've not seen that. A computer running Ubuntu will have no access to any other system on my network (making network gaming impossible) and have flakey performance with the internet due to the way my security is set up. Add the fact that the majority of my games won't run on it... well anyway, that's not to say that it's not capable, but I've not seen it be as functional as Windows.

EDIT: Am I the only one who feels this thread isn't really needed on GBATemp?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho