Best Modchip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by naes, Jul 13, 2008.

Jul 13, 2008

Best Modchip? by naes at 5:00 AM (2,041 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. naes
    OP

Member naes GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Decided to mod my Wii, right now I have the Twilight Hack on it but I want to be able to play back ups. So, what's the best mod chip for the least amount of money? I would prefer something that is solderless, but I've heard that I can just get a Wlip (is this good)? Please give me suggestions and comments about Wii modchips.

2. Arek1985

Newcomer Arek1985 Advanced Member

United States
    well I guess it depends on your wii, when I made my decision earlier today it came down to wasabi or d2pro9 because I have a cut pin drive d2b. I went with a wiiclip combo. That's supposed to be a solder less solution considering I got a pre soldered to clip bundle. But as everyone will probably ask, which version is your wii-drive. If you have older wii's I've heard good things about wii-key (I was going to get one of those because they were cheap and only 5 wires but due to cut pins it's more difficult to install.)IT seems nowadays it's between wasabi and d2pro9 due to compatibility with all chip sets. So I guess it's up to you and your preferences. But I'm no expert I just read through a lot of reviews recently.

3. fiveighteen

Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

United States
    Enter your wii's serial number [here] and see what kind of chip your wii will require. I had a DMS wii, and bought/installed a WiiKey pre-soldered onto a WiiClip V3, and it works perfectly. Reply with what kind of Wii you have and I/we will be more than happy to help you out.

4. naes
    OP

United States
    Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-D2C.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.

So, which mod chip should I get?

5. tedmg09130913

Member tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whichever one is cheapest;(wasabi or d2pro9) with wiiclip. Don't bother trying to solder them in directly. Use the wiiclip so you don't to ruin your wii.

6. naes
    OP

United States
    Now, I'm new to the Wii scene, so can I update my Wii if I have a modchip in it? Or do I need to wait for a special release or something? Also, which modchip is better? Wasabi or d2pro9?

7. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    by update you mean to 3.3E/U/J firmware of the wii right? yea just update that sucker if you want to if your below 3.2 then you need to update to play new games and id say d2pro9 is better tbh, thats just my OP tho, id go for a wiiclip if you cant solder for your life, or if you have a flat headed iron because you will never get the points on unless you have a good iron

8. naes
    OP

United States
    I mean regularly update.

9. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    i use d2ckey, but wasabi's probobly the best, since it updates, and works on all wii models... [​IMG]

10. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I was thinking of getting a modchip myself. Where is the cheapest place to get a D2Pro9/Wasabi chip with a WiiClip already soldered in stuff?

11. Arek1985

Newcomer Arek1985 Advanced Member

United States
    well I bought my d2pro9 from mod central. also checking the sticky topic about dealers for mod chips might help also. It all depends on the country your from really. If in NA or Canada it seems Canada mods and mod central get good reviews for service. Yea I haven't soldered much since fixing an input jack on my guitar and that's not near as complicated as soldering for a mod chip so I went with wii-clip, currently awaiting my order to ship.