Homebrew Best hardware for a softmodded DS experience.

Waygeek

OP
Trophies
XP
I was going to get a DS cart to run DS homebrew on a CFW 3DS. It has come to my attention that that may not be advisable, because the 3DS does not display DS software well. I've learned that a DSi with Flipnote pre-installed is the best way, because it can be softmodded now. Does it have to come pre-installed with Flipnote? The DS softmodding guide seems to include this file. https://dsi.cfw.guide/installing-unlaunch Does it have to be a specific model, DSi/DSi XL, and are certain colours more likely to come with the software pre-installed? Does a format re-install Flipnote as being a part of a fresh install? Can Flipnote be downloaded from official servers in 2019, or some other way? There are a few black DSi's, a blue DSi XL and a burgundy DSi XL in my area. I would be more interested in the black DSi's/the burgundy DSi XL. Does territory matter, did Flipnote not release bundled in some areas? I'm in the EU. For people who still have DSi's, do you recommend the smaller screen because of ppi image quality issues, like the 3DS? Or, does the fact the majority of games being 2D mean this issue is moot, and it's nicer to have crips pixel art on an XL screen? Also, can the DSi play my GBA rips, like I can do on a CFW 3DS? DSi's are also much cheaper, it would be great if I could get use out of a DSi now and buy a CFWable New 3DS later.

Lots of questions, thanks to anyone who has some answers.
I remember the DS homebrew scene being really great, much better than any handheld since unfortunately. Looking forward to owning one again.

Last edited by Waygeek,

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need Flipnote to be proloaded. 2D games like Crono Trigger look really nice on the XL, but I prefer the smaller screen/higher pixel density for 3D games. Some GBA games can be played in GBARunner2, but not all of them. All 3DSes can be hacked though, so one of those might be a better buy.

Of course, you can always wait a bit for Failzone and then buy any console because they'll all be hackable.

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Follow up to what SCOTT0852 said, it doesnt have to be a specific model, color or region, but the XL's are more likely to have flipnote. Formatting does remove it and there is no way to get it back.
On the 3DS you can hold select while booting the game and it will be in original resolution, which looks quite good.
The DSi can boot GBA games with GBARunner2, but compatibility is not very good, and there are reports of it corrupting SD cards. for GBA games stick with the 3DS's VC.
Anyway, you can wait a bit for more info on Failzone and see from there. It should let you hack and DSi, regardless of if it has Flipnote. Shouldn't be a long wait, to quote shutterbug2000 "and remember soon™ is sooner™ than you think. "

Waygeek

OP
Trophies
XP
there are reports of it corrupting SD cards. for GBA games stick with the 3DS's VC.

Yikes, will definitely do. I got a mint green DSi with Flipnote last week, prepping a 16GB card for it now, been using a 2GB for the time being which has been painful haha. Thanks for the post. I will probably gift some modded DSi's to friends when Failzone comes out :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte