Hacking Best flashcard to purchase for 3DS?

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went out and bought a 3DS today and traded my old DS lite in for it (and only got 40 bucks for it and realized I screwed myself out of being able to update a flashcart). I have an m3 DS real that I used but will not work with my new 3ds. Basically I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on the best flashcard to purchase for a 3ds. Is it worth investing a lot of money into something like the supercard dstwo, which from what I understand is one of if not the best flashcarts out there, or is it a better idea to purchase something cheap like the R4 gold that will do what I need it to do but won't have many extras? I'm a little wary of spending the money on a supercard incase something comes out just for the 3ds or should I just suck it up and buy the better card.

Nicole Luyben

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know why people don't answer your questions is because they are tired of those questions!
There are so many this kind of questions in the posts! Actually i have a similar feeling too,
blink.gif

But still give you some help:

Yes, DSTwo is a super card for you and also you can get it for less than 40 bucks i think

Other cards : Acekard 2i , R4i gold 3DS R4i SDHC 3DS are also in the play list !

Other tips :

Do not update your 3DS to 2.1.0-3 before you get the flashcard(DSTwo , Acekard ) !

If you already in 2.1.0-3 and want to buy DSTwo or Acekard , you need to use a DS/DSi to update your flashcard(Acekard 2i , DSTwo ) !

But R4i gold 3DS and R4i SDHC have been pre-flashed , so choose them is another good option, they can use in any 3DS firmware out of box !

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
By now most shops are selling pre-flashed Acekards too. Even if they are not advertising it, they should get you one if you contact them directly and ask for one.

I'd still recommend the Acekard 2i over the R4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn (don't buy the ones from other manufacturer websites). Although the Gold is cheaper, Acekard still seems to have much better support, and perhaps a sturdier product too. They also have a reputation for continuing to support their old products as much as possible (quite like Supercard team, really), something which the R4i-SDHC team does *not* have (and which the R4i Gold team is doing well in, but reputations still need time to build up).

As for the Supercard DSTWO, it's the best, and so is more expensive than the rest on this list. Get it if you can afford it, and/or if you want to play homebrew and utilise all its nifty features. Otherwise an Acekard is probably sufficient for everything.

Oh, and the 3DS update you want to avoid is v2.00-2, not v2.10-3 (which by itself does not block any flashcarts). Stay at v1.10-1 until you are sure you are getting a pre-updated cart.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Nicole Luyben said:
I want to know why people don't answer your questions is because they are tired of those questions!
There are so many this kind of questions in the posts! Actually i have a similar feeling too,
blink.gif

But still give you some help:

Yes, DSTwo is a super card for you and also you can get it for less than 40 bucks i think

Other cards : Acekard 2i , R4i gold 3DS R4i SDHC 3DS are also in the play list !

Other tips :

Do not update your 3DS to 2.1.0-3 before you get the flashcard(DSTwo , Acekard ) !

If you already in 2.1.0-3 and want to buy DSTwo or Acekard , you need to use a DS/DSi to update your flashcard(Acekard 2i , DSTwo ) !

But R4i gold 3DS and R4i SDHC have been pre-flashed , so choose them is another good option, they can use in any 3DS firmware out of box !

The DSTwo supposedly can be updated even on 2.1.0-x thanks to it's built in CPU. All the DSTwo needs is power from the 3DS to update, it doesn't need to boot. The only way a 3DS update could stop that is if it made the 3DS cut all power to the DS slot if it detected a flash cart.

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh yes, this isn't the first, its the billionth one
glare.gif

1 SupercardDSTWO best one there is but if its too pricey get,

2 Acekard2i The team updates constantly and it has an affordable price

3 R4igold, cheapest out of the three, and is cart thats...wow, still going strong
yay.gif

lpm98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i suggest you go with buying the r4i gold 3ds (r4ids.cn). it supports a lot of homebrew and runs on wood which is regularly updated to work with new 3ds updates. it is also very cheap. A good website to order it from is digitopz.com because it is trustworthy and always has free shipping.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Is it worth investing a lot of money into something like the supercard dstwo, which from what I understand is one of if not the best flashcarts out there

Yes, it is one of, if not "The Best" flashcarts out there. I own one, use it with one of my 16GB MicroSD's. I love it, and I haven't used my Acekard 2 or any other one since (I loved my AK2 and DSOnei btw, but the DSTwo just is so much more and so much nicer to me).

Love not having to patch anything either, or at the most only having to patch stuff once in a blue moon.

You'd be best getting the DSTwo, it will serve you well

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
molh394 said:
Oh, and the 3DS update you want to avoid is v2.00-2, not v2.10-3 (which by itself does not block any flashcarts). Stay at v1.10-1 until you are sure you are getting a pre-updated cart.
When I bought Zelda I was forced to update to play but it didn't say what firmware. From my understanding the new update introduced the e shop and internet browser right? I do not have either on my system so is it safe to assume I'm on the right one to not need a pre flashed one right off the bat if one didn't come pre flashed? Better yet is there anyway to see the system information so I can just see which fW I'm on? I have tried going through the options and haven't seen anything about it, nor about a "disable auto update feature" which I saw people talking about.

I know there's probably been a lot of threads about it so sorry for hassling you with seeing another one, but at the same time you didn't HAVE to click it, but I appreciate the advice.

I can afford the Supercard if it's worth it, I'm not some little kid looking for free games and the cheapest possible way to get it, but at the same time I don't want to spend 40-50 bucks on an old product (meaning for the DS) when something new could be coming out for the 3ds for 3ds games when there's basic 15 dollar options for the same things. I guess if I want to be safe though my best bet would probably just be to go with the supercard as they seem to support it well and hopefully will through future updates, and hell who knows maybe when something does come of 3ds hacking, they will be playable on high end older flashcarts /shrug one can hope.

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Lunatics said:
When I bought Zelda I was forced to update to play but it didn't say what firmware. From my understanding the new update introduced the e shop and internet browser right? I do not have either on my system so is it safe to assume I'm on the right one to not need a pre flashed one right off the bat if one didn't come pre flashed?
This is true. Most of the established online retailers are already selling pre-updated flashcarts at no extra cost by now, though, so this could possibly be a moot point.

Lunatics said:
Better yet is there anyway to see the system information so I can just see which fW I'm on? I have tried going through the options and haven't seen anything about it, nor about a "disable auto update feature" which I saw people talking about.
It's under the System Settings of your 3DS.

Lunatics said:
I know there's probably been a lot of threads about it so sorry for hassling you with seeing another one, but at the same time you didn't HAVE to click it, but I appreciate the advice.
Haha! Both are true, of course, but don't worry about this. If I didn't want to do it I wouldn't have bothered with this in the first place. There can be a lot to read up on, especially when you're still new to all this and unsure of many things about it.

QUOTE(Lunatics @ Jun 24 2011, 07:56 AM)
I can afford the Supercard if it's worth it, I'm not some little kid looking for free games and the cheapest possible way to get it, but at the same time I don't want to spend 40-50 bucks on an old product (meaning for the DS) when something new could be coming out for the 3ds for 3ds games when there's basic 15 dollar options for the same things. I guess if I want to be safe though my best bet would probably just be to go with the supercard as they seem to support it well and hopefully will through future updates, and hell who knows maybe when something does come of 3ds hacking, they will be playable on high end older flashcarts /shrug one can hope.
True! That's why most of the time I just recommend the Acekard 2i, unless I am giving a more comprehensive answer. Only US$15, has practically as good support as the Supercard, and is incredibly reliable.

As for 3DS hacking nobody knows if any of the flashcarts will work on 3DS mode (the stuff 3DS games use, the thing which is currently unhacked), though. It's true that DSTWO is probably the only one which stands a chance, but even so there isn't enough information for anybody to be sure. If you buy it in the hopes of being able to play 3DS ROMs on it someday, you will essentially be gambling on that hope.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people seem to ignore the R4i (3D) Revolution from r4idsn.com. It's virtually identical to the R4i Gold from r4ids.cn, as they are updated at the exact same time, and both run Wood. I personally prefer Wood a little over AKAIO (Acekard), but both are great and are an excellent value.

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question, when I was browsing through some of the flashcart subforums, I saw some posts and threads about the carts not fitting well and causing possible damage (mainly the dstwo and acekard I think). Is this something to be worried about (damage the connectors, "stretching" the case/slot etc) or is it generally fine unless you are doing something stupid to damage it?

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because when I posted it, I didn't see one on the first page in the 3ds section about it, and when I searched no threads came up for me about "the best flashcart" so I decided to make my own to try and get an answer and partake in a discussion about it myself instead of wading through threads to try and find something to bump up.

My apology was an insincere sarcastic apology to the dicks like you who come into the thread without actually contributing anything to the thread. If you knew what it was about, and knew you had seen others about it and didn't need to see more, than don't click on the f**king thread. You don't have to come in here with nothing to say but "Oh look this again". At least Ron gave an answer while making a comment about the thread.

I'm sure I'm not the only one upgrading to a 3ds and looking for a new flashcart to replace my old one, or only person looking for one for the 3ds in general. I am sure that I am not the only one who benefited by this thread and there were others looking for the same advice. If seeing a "repeat" thread bothers you that much that you had to come in here and say nothing useful, then maybe you should get out a little more.

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots? I said one swear word and it wasn't swearing at you. Just go away since you clearly have nothing to contribute.

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Lunatics said:
One last question, when I was browsing through some of the flashcart subforums, I saw some posts and threads about the carts not fitting well and causing possible damage (mainly the dstwo and acekard I think). Is this something to be worried about (damage the connectors, "stretching" the case/slot etc) or is it generally fine unless you are doing something stupid to damage it?
I have heard things here-and-there too, but it seems like it isn't much of a problem. It might be a tighter fit than usual, of course, but it still should not get damaged if you take note of that, and slot the cart in with care.

(might stretch your slot though, but again that shouldn't be very problematic)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill