pokemon platnuim
mario and luigi bowsers inside story

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. It's just a nice free roaming game to have and play every once in a while. Because the DS has far too few.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Radiant History, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and Sands Of Destruction are my favorite RPGs, they remind me the PSX era RPGs and we all know that was the golden age of RPGs.

Then Kirby Super Star-Star Ultra has to be my favorite platformer.

And as for remakes DragonQuest V: Hand Of The Heavenly bride takes the spot.

Also it seems like I'm the only one that hated The World Ends With You.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Trust me, you're definitely not.

GTA: CW isn't that bad either. Not sure if I'd take it over the PSP version but the touch screen mini games give it a bit of the edge. I'd definitely take it over the iPhone version at least (I can't use virtual buttons).

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Radiant History, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and Sands Of Destruction are my favorite RPGs, they remind me the PSX era RPGs and we all know that was the golden age of RPGs.
Actually, as somebody who has been playing RPGs since the NES, I'd personally say that the "golden age" for the genre was the PS2. That's when we could actually say we were getting most of the stuff that was actually fun from Japan (and kinda sorta mean it... :P ), and when localizations actually started really getting good. Don't get me wrong; the PlayStation had its share of good RPGs, but if you compare the localization (not the story itself, just the translation and adaptation) of Final Fantasy VII with Final Fantasy X, or Revelations: Persona with Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, you can clearly see a difference in quality.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, as somebody who has been playing RPGs since the NES, I'd personally say that the "golden age" for the genre was the PS2. That's when we could actually say we were getting most of the stuff that was actually fun from Japan (and kinda sorta mean it... :P ), and when localizations actually started really getting good. Don't get me wrong; the PlayStation had its share of good RPGs, but if you compare the localization (not the story itself, just the translation and adaptation) of Final Fantasy VII with Final Fantasy X, or Revelations: Persona with Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, you can clearly see a difference in quality.
I love the persona series and but for me PSX had a lot more higher quality jRPGs than the PS2 did.
And I'm not talking about the quality but the storyline, and yes they have improved in such a fast pace during one console generation.

This is my opinion on the PSX vs PS2 era of RPGs. Don't mean to offend anyone
PS2 era for me had a lot of generic jRPGs like .hack//G.U. which unlike the original and brilliant .hack// series of games became a generic piece of garbage.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying PS2 had horrible jRPGs, I love the MegaTen series especially on the PS2 and the first Xenosaga game is a masterpiece and who could forget Odin Sphere or Rouge Galaxy? But as I said before more generic games kept coming out. I love Star Ocean 1 and 2 but the PS2 era (and the 7th-gen era) ruined the series for me same for the Tales Of series even though I have to admit I only liked Phantasia. They kept getting more mediocre and I kept having high hopes for disappointing games.

But there are tons of amazing PSX games that don't disappoint in story or in gameplay, Legend Of The Dragoon, Final Fantasy 9, Xenogears and Wild Arms (Oh god, poor wild arms) to name a few.
The stories of these games were all very different and had interesting plots that led you to keep playing unlike these era of jRPGs which you know the bad guy from the start and you need try to kill him from the beginning but "stuff" (due to a very bad story design) keeps happening for example
.hack//G.U. - AIDA = Bad -> Find Source to destroy it -> Kill little pieces of AIDA -> -> Kill final (disc) boss ->Cliffhanger -> keep buying the games -> Spend 40$ to buy the second disc and repeat all the steps -> Spend 40$ on Disc Three to get a horrible "happy ending" even the fans knew who the bad guy was from the beginning .
These era are missing out the mystery element, without mystery you get a boring plot and in my opinion half of the PS2 jRPGs really needed that element.

Also I love Snes jRPGS here's how I list the jRPG era.
PSX -> Snes -> Xbox 360 (Yes I find Xbox 360's jRPGs to be more enjoyable than PS3 ones) = PS2 -> PS3
I grouped the Xbox 360 and PS2 together because even though the xbox lacks jRPGs they're still good i.e. Lost Odyssey.

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've got the most fun out of it with the Castlevania series. Wasn't too impressed with the inhouse games this time. Metroid, New Mario and the Zeldas haven't been perfect IMHO. But Mario Kart was great.

DarkraiHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Here goes:
1) TWEWY. ^^ (Who wouldn't like it?)
2) Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations.
3) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.
4) Suikoden Tierkres. (forgive me if I spelled it wrong)
5) Naruto: Path of the Ninja 2.
6) 9 hours; 9 persons; 9 doors.
7) Nanashi no Geemu. (Scary... ;-; )
8) Professor Layton Series. (Unwound Future in particular, loved the ending)
9) Dragon Ball Kai; Ultimate Botouden.
10) Okamiden.

My top 10. =3

xvinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Then Kirby Super Star-Star Ultra has to be my favorite platformer.

And as for remakes DragonQuest V: Hand Of The Heavenly bride takes the spot.

I hate TWEWY too, especially its title, albeit I've played the whole game. =)

Daisydaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The world ends with you, all Megaten games and 999. I don't know in which order I'd put them, but they're all reeeeeaaaally great imo. :P

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
There are various impressive and advance games available for Nintendo 3DS and Different People like different games according to their preference. Some of most popular 3DS games are Combat of Giant, Mario cart seven, Super street fighter, Legend of Zelda, Super mario etc.

All very nice, but this be the DS section! :)

Tekken179

Trophies
XP
Country
Professor Layton series are the best series for me in DS it was something completely new to me and fell in love with them... amazing games series, by that stage i had just discovered all the great DS titles , Phoenix Wright series, TWEWY,

list goes on but DS took over most of my gaming and now 3ds does and I consider myself a hardcore gamer... ps3, wii, gaming pc, xperia play, usually good at everything i play (not to boast like) but since the DS i've lent slightly more towards nintendo ;) NES was my first console and a nintendo will be my last console.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For me FFTA2 has to be among my all-time favorites.

Among slow-paced puzzle type stuff, I spent a lot of time with Picross and NYT Crosswords.

I got a lot of enjoyment from DQ9 as well.

I have to put myself in the didn't-like-TWEWY camp. I really really tried to like it, but it just reminds me of everything I find irritating about Japan. I guess I've been here much too long. Going on seven years.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The World Ends With You and Style Savvy (incidentally two of my top 10 favorites of all time!). They are original IPs and totally non-derivative, AND manage to be endlessly entertaining. I mean, I had lost all faith in games by the time TWEWY came out, but when it did I was like, "OMG, not only is this awesome, it's better than almost everything I've played to this point..." It's one of the only games that actually superseded the hype I built up in my mind. As a result, whenever I hear people saying that game XYZ can't live up to the hype, and that people shouldn't have had such high expectations for it, I know that it's just an awful game.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
radiant historia is overrated.
ironically, its terribly linear for a game that gives you the option of time travels and its hard to keep an overview if you're doing quests too
and the battle system revolved around chosing the same exact attacks every two battles to move stuff around the battlefield
it wasnt a bad game, no way, and among the better rpgs of the ds, but it wasnt in anyway the best there was on the ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Judge Wario :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: