Best display settings for NESds

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Xamrin, Apr 17, 2013.

Apr 17, 2013

Best display settings for NESds by Xamrin at 12:58 AM (2,003 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Xamrin
    OP

Newcomer Xamrin Member

United States
    I'm running NESds on my R4i card on 3DS. The display is fully controllable, but is hard to properly set. When full scale the game is too large for the screen, when scaled to fit the screen the pixels become horribly compressed. To anyone familiar with NESds: Do you know the best settings for running it on 3DS with the best possible quality?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You do know about getting the 3DS to scale or not scale DS-mode stuff, right?

3. Xamrin
    OP

Newcomer Xamrin Member

United States
    No, I've never heard of that.

4. Rydian

United States
    When starting a DS game or DS-mode flash cart from the home screen, press and hold Start/Select while starting it to change/remove the scaling effect.

5. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Well, in most games there is nothing too important at the top or bottom edges so you can get away with using full scale. However, games are still enjoyable with the game scaled to fit though it doesn't look great, so it varies from game to game which one is best I guess. Use the one that's less annoying to you?

I think he means the way NES emulators have to scale the image vertically to fit because the NES' graphics output is taller than the DS screen. Disabling the DS mode scaling may help a bit but it won't solve the issue.

6. Rydian

United States
    He complained about the nature of the scaling, so I'm letting him know there's a second thing he needs to disable too.

7. Xamrin
    OP

Newcomer Xamrin Member

United States
    I looked up 3ds scaling and found Start+Select. That didn't help.

8. Rydian

United States
    If you disable the 3DS's native scaling, then the NesDS's scaling options will be relative to native instead of relative to an already-scaled resolution, did you try changing those afterwards?

There's no way to play emulation stuff at a 1:1 pixel density across the whole screen because the 3DS has a larger resolution than DS-mode does. If an image is going to fill up the empty space between DS-mode and 3DS-mode, than it's gotta' scale.