BEST DEALS how to get them?

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello fellow Creamers,

regardless of what you buy in particular, regardless of used or new, please share your tips on how to get the best deals.

Thank you!

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
research is better than just search

And what do you do in "Research"?

You still "Serach" do you not?

ReSearch = You Search again, and again, and again...

Last edited by AncientBoi,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello fellow Creamers,

Pick one lol
The Best Coffee Creamer Brands to Top Off Your Morning

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In term of your opening question, you can look around for the best price around for new and used condition, if you are okay with used condition then buy used, if not buy new. Usually there are sales during holiday time so if you are willing to wait around that time wait for it.

Hard to give tips when people don't know what you are after.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I don't get why people ever complain about the politics forum, the standards users uphold there are much higher than in the general discussion forum.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. However as there are billions of items in even more variable condition with people whose finances, desires (see pain points if you want a more economics term) and such you can never know even if they were rational mean the perfectly efficient market is a myth (though there is certainly the invisible hand as a net effect), and this applies to all parties in the transaction (I know how much money I have and I am willing to spend, I do not know what they will take and their attachment to it, such things can be modified by all parties involved as well via various psychology). See also why centrally planned economies are useless.

You need to seek these inefficiencies. That is how you get the best deals.

Personally I like to deal with the clueless.

Others often favour seeking a loss leader and exploiting it for their purposes.

That is a bit abstract.

I alluded to what would be dubbed imperfect information above. Do you think the grandma selling off the junk her grandkids left at hers last console cycle knows the prices of such things in local games shops or ebay? Actually ebay has become quite popular in recent years even among the elderly but you can still certainly meet those that can't be bothered. Seek those.

Some would say an item has three costs.
What it costs to get it, what you pay to store it and what you pay to dispose of it. If you can not dispose of something you have to store it, and if you have to pay for storage it may become more convenient to offload that item without a period of intense price discovery. More colloquially I will hear it phrased as "I just don't want to have to take it home" and that has multiple solutions -- time (do you appear just before it is done) and volume (do you take a larger chunk away and in turn incur your own disposal efforts).
You will see notable variations on this in the times to come as well for many businesses seem overstocked on goods and are incurring storage penalties -- item destruction, fall off of market demand, cost of storage, cost of having funds tied up in said items assuming it was not debt/leverage that purchased them in the first place). So as to recoup some money and stop incurring extra costs they will let it go for less and less, you then being in an effective auction with other players who are possibly even more unknown to you.

Further to that is condition. It often pays to be somewhat expert in (quickly) assessing the condition of the item as it is relevant to your needs, and further to that skills in repair to offset the cost of that were you to farm it out to someone else. Quickly is also often an operative word on your opponent's side -- if your stock increases by 1000 items and likely will next week then 20 minutes per item (very short as research goes, even for me who is quite good at it) as it might if you were doing clearance of a house, warehouse, failed business or the like then a lack of information might be in play.

Loss leaders. There is a general trend in economics towards monopoly, though such things tend to also become top heavy and fall over in the mid term (the biggest companies today were not those 10, 20, 30, 40... years ago and those of those days are similarly not present). One of the ways you break into a market is with advertising, the second is with cheap prices. The promise of being the next monopoly (or indeed the distributed risk if you want to consider how much technology investment works, and despite impending economic fun and games likely still will) then sees funding offset losses and thus be your discount. While I generally consider marketing types to be subhuman scum they are never the less incentivised to produce the most benefit for the least loss/outlay so you will have to work very hard at this. You can try to follow forums and other such places were people attempt to aggregate news on such matters (crowd sourcing does get around the time problem) but you might then find yourself behind the curve, missing out on the best stuff kept secret so as to be exploited. Some would encourage you then to see older efforts and the failures on the part of the marketing types that led to it in the first place.

You also have to consider the reason for both your and your would be competitors in buying the item.
Am I buying the game to play for myself, am I buying the game to resell (or possibly trade*), am I buying the game to sit on my shelf and sell on in 10 years, or am I buying this dead console knowing I can likely repair it and thus fall under what would be called value added manufacturing.

*quality of funds is a concern in this. Nobody likes store credit when they could have cash, or indeed cash in the bank with all taxes paid. However if you were going to buy something in the shop anyway...

Reactions: Creamu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is Janet Jackson alive?