Hacking Best CFW for PSP 2K?

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to upgrade my PSP 2K (Running 5.50-Prot4) to a newer CFW release. From what I have seen, the two "major" CFWs right now are Pro and ME. Can anyone help explain the major differences between the two? By the looks of it, PRO seems to be the better choice, but I think I read on QJ that it isn't all that stable (may have been older release). Im going to get my GF a PSP 2K in the near future (want one that is fully hackable, so not going for 3K or PSPGo), so even if I don't update mine I will need to know what to use when I hack her's.

Appreciate any help you guys can give. Been out of the PSP scene for the past few years so Im a bit lost when it comes to the new CFWs.

gartlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have only ever installed Pro on my PSPs (1000 and 2000 models), upgrading from M33 5.00-6 many months ago. I have never regretted it even for a second. I have never had a problem, but then I keep plugins to a minimum.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The go to choice is PRO-B8. 6.20 PRO-B8 should be possible for a perma-install on a 2000 series. It is very, very stable. I have it on my 1k via the permanent patch, and I have yet to have an issue. Plus, you get PSN access as well as everything else proper PSN access grants you. It works great, and is fairly hassle free. With PRO-B8, you can also get a 6.xx popsloader pack, and it will be supported.

Nobody really uses ME that I know of actually. I'm fairly in the dark regarding it outside of knowing that it exists.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd post the blog update I found on QJ about ME, but I'm pretty sure Id get in trouble for it.

I had a feeling PRO would be the answer. For the sake of argument: Beyond PSN access, is there any other reasons to upgrade from 5.50-Prom4 to 6.20 PRO-B8? I be lying if I said I wasn't worried about leaving 5.50-Prom4. Its worked well for me since I installed it, but without Prom being updates anymore, I worry I won't be able to play new games. I know patch the ISO itself, but that is a pain especially since Im on a Mac.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's faster, it plays all games clean, it has a fully featured popsloader, it's made by one group rather than a firmware cobbled together on top of an older firmware (meaning that it's likely to be more stable), it's regularly updated, it doesn't secretly steal your cookies in the night while you're asleep.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
It's faster, it plays all games clean, it has a fully featured popsloader, it's made by one group rather than a firmware cobbled together on top of an older firmware (meaning that it's likely to be more stable), it's regularly updated, it doesn't secretly steal your cookies in the night while you're asleep.
It won't steal my Mint Oreos? SWEET!!!
wink.gif
Thanks for the heads up on that. Full Featured popsloader would def be nice.

Edit: On a side not, there is no way to perminstall 6.39 Pro-B* on the PSPGo right? I was thinking of getting one for my GF (small hands and built in 16GB) but it doesnt seem worth it if its not a perm install (Im old school).

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, you can't perm install it, but you can just use a temporary install, it has all of the same features, the only difference is that you have to click an icon and wait 10 seconds before you get into the CFW from a cold boot (holding down the power button for 10 seconds, then turning it back on)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just perm install the 6.20 version of PRO on a PSP Go. If it's not on 6.20 you can downgrade easily.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
no, you can't perm install it, but you can just use a temporary install, it has all of the same features, the only difference is that you have to click an icon and wait 10 seconds before you get into the CFW from a cold boot (holding down the power button for 10 seconds, then turning it back on)QUOTE(xist @ Jul 16 2011, 03:19 PM) Just perm install the 6.20 version of PRO on a PSP Go. If it's not on 6.20 you can downgrade easily.
Thanks for the info. I was worried the LCFW install would be missing features. Now I just see if she wants a Go or 2k.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The LCFW is fine....i use it on my Go rather than the full permanent install because i like the neat way it keeps things behind the scenes and it only takes second to activate a CFW environment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill