Best cart for...

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by H Punch, Apr 24, 2008.

Apr 24, 2008

Best cart for... by H Punch at 3:53 PM (963 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. H Punch
    OP

Newcomer H Punch Newbie

United States
    I'm trying to figure out the best dedicated GBA cart to meet my needs. I'm wanting to play all the GBA Final Fantasy games as close to flawlessly as possible and be able to listen to MP3s also. I'm guessing that an SD or Micro SD based card is the way to go as far as taking some music with you. But is there an SD based cart that will play the Final Fantasy games well? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Oh, don't know if this is relevant, but I'll be using a GBA Micro for this. Thanks.

2. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    MP3's aren't going to happen on a GBA micro without a PlayYan.

I use both EZIII and EZ4 miniSD.

3. Jack-Of-Trades

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Actualy there are mp3 Codecs for gba

Keep in mind the mp3 won't be very good at all in 16Bit Mono

2 Choices

GSM Player

4. H Punch
    OP

Newcomer H Punch Newbie

United States
    Well, that answers that doesn't it. [​IMG]

I don't know where but I thought I had read you could do mp3 on GBA? I bet I was reading about a DS card. Oh well not that big of deal.

About the FF games... So, with space for tunes not being an issue, I'm assuming that most any of the 'non-removable memory' cards will play these roms fairly well?

5. Jack-Of-Trades

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah they should all run well even on a 128M card (not counting FFTA wich is 256M)

Only diffrence between onboard mem flash cards and removable mem cards is onboard mem carts only have NOR (slower but perm) and removable have PSRAM and nor

Removable mem is just storing a lot of roms on the sd so you can flash them through the cart

And i just told you GBA could have mp3's (after you convert them to wav/gsm for gsm player
    or PCM for musicplay advance)

just that the audio quality isn't verry good

(i have the shin-chan ending theme on my gba)

6. H Punch
    OP

Newcomer H Punch Newbie

United States
    Thanks for your input guys. [​IMG]

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you have to convert them, then they aren't MP3 files anymore now are they? [​IMG]

If you decide to get a cart, I suggest looking into GBA GSM Player for playing your audio files. It does a decent job at maintaining listenable quality with a very small filesize, though you will notice a good amount of background noise, especially during quiet parts of songs.