Best Browser Built For Speed?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by WiiFit_Guy, May 12, 2016.

1. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

WiiFit_Guy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Hi guys, just wandering what is the fastest Internet browser to use in 2016. Any Benchmarks saying which browser is the best lately?

PS. Using Windows 7

Thanks

2. SockNaste

SockNaste My Little Pony Fetish

Banned
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    2 High To Remember
    Chrome, but Firefox has some fun features.

3. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Well honestly I have done a few tests. For Windows 7 it seems like Chrome is better with HTML 5 rendering but Firefox is faster with sunspider and used http://www.speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php and found out firefox is faster.

Any Firefox users here that can recommend me cool extensions?

4. 0x40

0x40 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2013
    For making Firefox faster? NoScript for blocking JavaScripts, and uBlock Origin for blocking ads and other URLs.

5. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Do the ad blockers block Youtube ads? And when I mean extensions, I mean extentions built for speed, privacy, cool features (like the ad blocker ect).

6. iAqua

iAqua

Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Anything Chromium based should be pretty fast. Such as Vivaldi ( I recommend this ), and Chrome.

7. 0x40

0x40 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2013
    Most of them do.

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

GBAtemp Patron
    Frederica Bernkastel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 31, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hinamizawa
    This is kinda a loaded question, much of the problem with the modern web is in websites and webapps which haven't been built to perform or to function without hefty payloads.

So long as you stick to a sensible, standards compliant, browser - Edge, Opera, Chrome, Vivaldi and Firefox spring to mind - and employ a sensible policy on performance, i.e. block ads and render blocking tracking scripts (uBlock and noscript as mentioned above, or an alternative I use is to block all JS from non-secure origins in Chrome, and then whitelist some sites), you should be okay with whatever you enjoy using most.

From a different perspective, be very wary of the impact of extensions and plugins on performance, especially in Chromium based browsers which do not handle this well (on the upside, you gain security) - i.e. Vivaldi, Opera, Chrome, Brave.

Oh yeah, and maybe give Brave a spin, it has much of this blocking tech built in.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  9. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Chrome is from experience the 'fastest' on a PC. Though you've got to keep in mind that Chrome is a nasty resource hog and will eat up your CPU mercilessly, even on sites that aren't particularly heavy.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Firefox is pretty fast using FasterFox on the Turbo setting. Without actually timing the browsers with a stopwatch, page load times seemed similar in Chrome and Firefox + FasterFox. And Firefox uses far less RAM and is a lot more capable so there's that.

11. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    Firefox with adblocker.It works fast for me.

12. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Firefox is better than Chrome in my opinion. Uses way less ram and offers a lot of more features as a browser.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Except with the deprecation of XUL, a lot of plugins that made Firefox better can no longer be used.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-firefox-the-walking-dead/

14. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Firefox is great for people that don't have that so great pc's/laptops since it does use less resources then Chrome

15. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    Crap, I am the odd one out:creep:. I use SeaMonkey, it is lite, and uses most plugins that FireFox uses such as adblock, and feels much faster too. Also a nice throwback to everybody whom used and like Netscape Navigator.

16. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I use chrome on all of my machines. It gets the job done

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Netscape Navigator, my childhood : ')

17. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    i have a really low speed internet .I need a better browser than firefox which loads faster.(download speed=12 to 24 Kb/sec)
    The image quality can be low.Any other than firefox.

Whats that,Can it make my browsing fast.

Last edited by Vishnoo, Jul 7, 2016
  18. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    I use Chrome because it's more polished than Firefox, but i use Firefox on my Phone....for performance reasons. I don't really care about it taking up RAM (Chrome), especially when you have 8GB of RAM xD

Lol, you can still download and use it...http://download.cnet.com/Netscape-Navigator/3000-2356_4-10145004.html

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik, Jul 7, 2016
  19. 0x40

0x40 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2013
    Changing browsers won't help much. You can increase the cache size so things aren't downloaded more than once, and install a plugin that makes things like images and videos not load unless you click on them.

20. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Best thing you can do, Firefox + AdBlock + Google Dns [8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4].