Beloved classic GoldenEye 007 lands on Switch and Xbox this week

GoldenEye007box.jpg

One of Rare's most well-known titles is hitting modern platforms this week. GoldenEye 007 is launching on Xbox through Game Pass and Nintendo Switch on January 27th, marking the first re-release of the 1997 N64 game, not counting a remake in 2010 made by Eurocom. Online multiplayer will be an included feature, exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version of the game, while the Xbox release will have traditional split-screen multiplayer.

:arrow: Source

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I've just looked this up on xbox.com and it's the original game just with widescreen and more resolution options.

Just...why? Get the unreleased XBLA remake from the internet and play it in Xenia, with actually updated graphics. Looks so much better. I honestly thought they were finally releasing the decent remake, not just the original game with the original graphics.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So I've just looked this up on xbox.com and it's the original game just with widescreen and more resolution options.

Just...why? Get the unreleased XBLA remake from the internet and play it in Xenia, with actually updated graphics. Looks so much better. I honestly thought they were finally releasing the decent remake, not just the original game with the original graphics.
That doesn’t make any sense…

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is the multiplayer friends list only, or can you pair with randoms? Might be just enough to get me to sub to the N64 expansion for a year if it's the latter. I really wish Goldeneye Source was still going strong, for that matter.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh hell. Back in the day, not even Mario Party nor Mario Kart could get so wild as Goldeneye 007 was in multiplayer mayhem. It was awesome, and it still is. The game is so well done that even today it is fun and very comfortable to play. Glad to finally see it again on a Nintendo console.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Same day as Deadspace... Noice.
Post automatically merged:

Still salty it's emulated instead of a proper remaster.
Post automatically merged:

Still salty it's emulated instead of a proper remaster.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, if you own Rare Replay DIGITAL, you get Golden Eye for "free". If you own the physical version of Rare Replay, you can go get fucked.

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm very interested to find out if the Switch version will still have the hidden ZX Spectrum emulator hidden in it like the original N64 version of Goldeneye did.

The N64 version had 10 ZX Spectrum games in it which were.

• Sabre Wulf

• Atic Atac

• Jetpac

• Lunar Jetman

• Alien 8

• Gun Fright

• Underwurlde

• Knight Lore

• Pssst

• Cookie
Thought that hack required you to use 2 controllers to enter in a button combo at the same time to unlock those games IIRC if my memory serves me right.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh look, a Nintendo released whole ONE game after months. Oh boy oh boy!
They release one N64 game per month for a subscription that costs $50 per year. I mean, there's also NES, SNES, and Genesis, but it feels like junk they throw at it to prove its value.

I don't mean to disrespect the old era of gaming, but come on, at $50 they should be giving GCN, GBA, DS, and Wii games to actually prove it's worth paying that much.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They release one N64 game per month for a subscription that costs $50 per year. I mean, there's also NES, SNES, and Genesis, but it feels like junk they throw at it to prove its value.

I don't mean to disrespect the old era of gaming, but come on, at $50 they should be giving GCN, GBA, DS, and Wii games to actually prove it's worth paying that much.
If they actually cared about providing value they'd include games like Switch Sports, Advance Wars, etc for free with the subscription. The reason they don't care is because this way, almost every cent from every subscriber is pure profit, it costs them next to nothing to emulate old games. So even with a much lower percentage than MS or Sony have subscribed, they're still raking in the dough.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

Oh wow, that makes it better i guess.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see the original emulated on the Switch, but to see them release the original, not the "enhanced" version, on the Xbox...that's just dumb. I was gonna buy it on Xbox, but not now. I'll just keep playing the better version on my RGH 360. I wonder if it was a legal issue as to why they could not release the "enhanced" version, since it was leaked, or because it was made by the old members of Rare.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel really bad for the people who are willing to shell out big bucks for a game that can be emulated.
although emulators exist, alot of N64 games dont run very well, and GoldenEye runs especially poorly even on high powered PCs

Thardus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
although emulators exist, alot of N64 games dont run very well, and GoldenEye runs especially poorly even on high powered PCs
Meh, I would have said the same thing not too long ago.

I just mastered the game (with retro achievements basically twice because I didn't have hardcore mode enabled the first time) on the Steam Deck, docked, with Switch Pro controller, in native widescreen (which can be changed in the watch pause menu)... and it was glorious.

Of course, it played smoother because the framerate on the original N64 (which I still own) is terrible.

Edit: re: retro achievements: Beating the game with enemy rockets on Agent was fun. Beating Cradle on 00 Agent while crouched... was not. Other than that I had a blast. And I'm generally a purist. Would recommend in case the Switch version doesn't have the achievements system.

Last edited by Thardus,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see the original emulated on the Switch, but to see them release the original, not the "enhanced" version, on the Xbox...that's just dumb. I was gonna buy it on Xbox, but not now. I'll just keep playing the better version on my RGH 360. I wonder if it was a legal issue as to why they could not release the "enhanced" version, since it was leaked, or because it was made by the old members of Rare.
I looked up GoldenEye XBLA on YouTube and it looked really enjoyable, sorta like an early Time Splitters game (from the same dev team, I think, so not surprising).
Of course, it played smoother because the framerate on the original N64 (which I still own) is terrible.
It must be even worse on PAL copies, then. lol I don't know how anyone these days can still put up with playing a game converted to PAL (play it at a slower speed than the NTSC counterpart). Someone might say some games were optimized, yes, but not all.

If you want an even worse example...

PAL Sonic ate Mario's mushrooms. haha

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol