Hacking Beautifying game backup names in SKY3DS Diskwriter

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, this is purely about aesthetics, and if you're not interested in stuff like that, you can stop reading now. All others, continue reading...

Since one of the more recent versions, SKY3DS diskwriter shows actual game names instead of image names in its list(s). However, the naming schemes used is inconsistent and there are even some names missing. Examples (yup, all of them are possible names in SKY3DS):
Code:
0981 - One Piece - Unlimited World Red (EU)
1201 - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS US
1202 - Kiniro_no_Corda_3_Full_Voice_Special_JPN_3DS-HR_temp
1150 - Ultimate NES Remix_USA
1123 - Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (USA) (En,Ja,Fr,De,Es,It,Ko)
Finding_Nemo_Escape_to_the_Big_Blue_Special_Edition_EUR_MULTi4_3DS-ABSTRAKT
personaq_kor
Monster Hunter 4_kor
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (AUS)
Ugly, isn't it? I noticed the renaming rules are included in the Setting.ini, which reads like this:
Code:
[Setting]
CTR-P-AGRPCF23    =0001 - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Shadow Wars (EU)
CTR-P-ASMPCFDD    =0002 - Super Monkey Ball 3D (EU)
CTR-P-ALGP8523    =0003 - LEGO Star Wars III - The Clone Wars (EU)
CTR-P-AQEP20CD    =0004 - Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D, The (EU)
CTR-P-AREPCD13    =0005 - Super Mario 3D Land (EU)

So, I figured, using the XML 3DS release list, I could build something better. However, there is one small puzzle piece missing:
CTR-P-AGRPCF23 =0001 - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Shadow Wars (EU)

The part before the bold part is the standard image name. Easy, and also included in the release list, the part afterwards is just the game name. So, does anyone know where the bold part comes from? It's obviously a hexadecimal number, and it has 4-digits most of the time, but sometimes only three. Any ideas?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
However, there is one small puzzle piece missing:
CTR-P-AGRPCF23 =0001 - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Shadow Wars (EU)

The part before the bold part is the standard image name. Easy, and also included in the release list, the part afterwards is just the game name. So, does anyone know where the bold part comes from? It's obviously a hexadecimal number, and it has 4-digits most of the time, but sometimes only three. Any ideas?
... and I already figured out the answer myself - these 4/3 hexadecimal digits represent the first 2 byte of the game backup file. There's something strange going on where leading zeroes are left out, even if they are on the second byte, but that's about it. So, is there any database where I can find all the first 2 byte of all known game backups?

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... and I already figured out the answer myself - these 4/3 hexadecimal digits represent the first 2 byte of the game backup file. There's something strange going on where leading zeroes are left out, even if they are on the second byte, but that's about it. So, is there any database where I can find all the first 2 byte of all known game backups?

You could parse them both, since the length of the C/KTR-XXXX is known, you should be able to work from there... right?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could parse them both, since the length of the C/KTR-XXXX is known, you should be able to work from there... right?
If you mean parsing from Setting.ini, you are right, but there's still the problem that this one misses a few known game backups.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't use a Settings.ini file at all and all my backups just use whatever filenames I assigned to them on the drive. Frankly, Sky's method of "naming" the ROM's was obsolete Day 1. As long as you're not using restricted characters you should be totally fine without a Settings.ini file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30