Battleborn is free-to-play starting today

PIqr9m8.jpg

Earlier today, Gearbox Software's FPS game Battleborn became free-to-play on every available platform (PC, Xbox One, and PS4), in the Americas at least. The PS4 version of the game will become free-to-play starting on June 13th in Europe and Japan.

Claiming to be a free trial, anybody can download the game and play unlimited multiplayer matches.
Gearbox Software said:
Players can now pick up Battleborn as a free downloadable experience that grants UNLIMITED access to all competitive multiplayer gameplay modes and maps, without any time limits or level caps. To keep things fresh, there is a weekly rotation of six heroes from the roster of 30 total heroes. Progress with each hero and player account progression is also permanent, so when the same character comes back around players can pick them up where they left off. To download the Battleborn Free Trial, head to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Steam store page and search for Battleborn. Each page has a “Try Now” button to download the Free Trial.

This decision was probably made in order to combat the continually declining playerbase. The game itself never quite got the traction that it needed due in part to it being released around same time as other large titles, specifically Overwatch.

Prospective new players don't need to worry about being completed obliterated by pros online at this time, as Gearbox Software are also introducing a queue specifically for new players.

Gearbox Software said:
With the launch of the Free Trial, we’re also introducing a queue specifically for new players. This queue was created just for new and lower rank players to learn the ropes without being matched with more experienced players. Even if you’re a quick learner or an experienced MOBA player, we wanted to give you enough time to find your Battleborn play style and favorite heroes. Once a player masters Battleborn’s mechanics and reaches Command Rank 20, the Novice Queue will disappear and they be able to join other Battleborn players in the regular queues.

In addition, Battleborn recently added several new training modes to help new and old players get accustomed or re-accustomed to the game.

Already bought Battleborn? While you won't be getting a refund, you will be getting several in game perks as a way of thanking you for for your support. According to Gearbox, players who purchased the game are automatically bumped up to "Founder" status. Founders are given the following perks:

Founders Bonus Content said:
  • 1,000 Platinum
  • 50,000 Credits
  • Exclusive “Founder” player title
  • Gold skins for Mellka and Deande
  • 5 Core Loot Packs
  • 1 of each Command Faction Pack (5 total)
  • 1 Exclusive “Founder Loot Pack” that includes…
    • 1 guaranteed piece of legendary gear
    • 1 guaranteed piece of legendary boss gear
    • 2 guaranteed pieces of common (or better) gear
    • Guaranteed exclusive legendary “Shard of Solus” gear item (a 0 activation cost LLC Shard Generator)
    • 4 guaranteed Flair items including exclusive “Founder’s Crown” Flair item

:arrow: Source: Gearbox Studios News

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already bought Battleborn? While you won't be getting a refund, you will be getting several in game perks as a way of thanking you for for your support. According to Gearbox, players who purchased the game are automatically bumped up to "Founder" status. Founders are given the following perks:
That's horsepucky. I would much much rather get my fooking $60 back. What a terrible purchase.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Battleborn actually has a campaign and imo is slightly better then overwatch. Overwatch did better because it was made by blizzard. While battle born was made by gearbox. It is just that simple. Most of my friends infact enjoy battleborn and barely tauched overwatch.

So ya, blizzard fanboyism won overwatch it's userbase

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

I personally feel that this stinks of desperation for the game. I play Overwatch myself and have never touched Paladins, but I felt a little sad for the game that couldn't. Unfortunate timing, more aclaimed developers, large fanbase. Paladins never looked that interesting to me though, not to mention the Paladins creator basically going crazy....

CraftyZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I remember when I was actually looking forward to this one when it was announced, it's a shame it had to come out right around Overwatch and get drowned out.

At least now I have an excuse to actually get it now lol

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
this is really cool for those that do not have OW.
i tried paladins before buying OW.

paladins is really fun too, this game looks alot of fun as well.
but i am mostly addicted to OW lately.

screw blizzard XD

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The game already cost less than a McDonald's meal, stores around here sell it for £5 or less, I fail to see how this helps. The game is crap, that's life.

That's horsepucky. I would much much rather get my fooking $60 back. What a terrible purchase.
You bought it for $60? Jesus Christ, it was discounted to $15 within a month or so. It was easily the biggest big name bomb this gen so far.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You bought it for $60? Jesus Christ, it was discounted to $15 within a month or so. It was easily the biggest big name bomb this gen so far.
Unfortuantely for me, money is no object, but I did have 7 or so friends who were all playing it. I figured i'd grab it so we could all play together. Don't buy digital, kids.

I actually have one of the rarest trophies from the game : "log into a lobby with a full team of 5"

Last edited by BORTZ,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortuantely for me, money is no object, but I did have 7 or so friends who were all playing it. I figured i'd grab it so we could all play together. Don't buy digital, kids.

I actually have one of the rarest trophies from the game : "log into a lobby with a full team of 5"
I personally like digital when I know it's a multiplayer game since I have two PlayStations and both need a copy of the game, so the digital option often works out cheaper. Discs for everything else though, all day long.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like digital when I know it's a multiplayer game since I have two PlayStations and both need a copy of the game, so the digital option often works out cheaper. Discs for everything else though, all day long.
I know what you mean, and I did it so I would never need to get my disc, just change apps. Turns out I never wanted to change to that app specifically.

OMG its literally the 5th rarest trophy I have ever gotten ahahahahaah
E5JvuHh.jpg

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: GBATemp Rule 63. Uhh... someone check. :ninja: