Hacking Battery inside the SCDS-1?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I just placed an order for a SCDS-1 and I saw on the GBAtemp review that it has a battery inside, though nobody explained its purpose. What does it do, and how long does it last?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It was used when the cart did save on the SRAM and then saved the file on the microSD on the next reset.

Now it directly saves to microSD, so it's not needed anymore.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Wait... the SCDS has two modes? This is new. What's the differrence between em? Also, is the battery ONLY needed for clean mode? And how long's it last?

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
Wait... the SCDS has two modes? This is new. What's the differrence between em?
I think one saves directly to the Micro SD while the other still uses the SRAM? I beleive there was an option in the patcher menu for cheat patching and other options.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
SRAM save is the only differrence between clean mode and umm... "dirty" mode? O.=.o; But original NDS carts don't even save to SRAM anymore...

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I never actually used games with the clean mode so far. I've tried around 80 games, and all of them have worked so far, no problem. And did you read the old review? There's a new one. I've also wrote one last month. It's on my blog here.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While in clean mode, all patches are off. This includes:
Speed (for uSD)
Cheats
Saver (this is the bit about SRAM saves)
Soft-Reset
In-Game guide
D/L play
RTS

But all these can be toggled individually as well. I personally have never had to use the "clean" mode.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
gratefulbuddy said:
While in clean mode, all patches are off. This includes:
Speed (for uSD)
Cheats
Saver (this is the bit about SRAM saves)
Soft-Reset
In-Game guide
D/L play
RTS

But all these can be toggled individually as well. I personally have never had to use the "clean" mode.
I've used it once before the Arm7 problems were solved.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
over the life time of the scdsone there has been several games that have not worked in patch mode & have had to use clean mode until they were fixed
i dont know what they are of the top of my head but im sure if you read the change logs of the older loaders it will tell you

EDIT
a quick look at the supercard site give these games would not work in patch mode

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So clean mode just means all patches OFF? Every cart can do that, I'm just shocked that the SCDS-1 goes as far as even trying to emulate the save chip with a battery-backed SRAM, I mean is that even necessary? Like... are there games which will not work if they don't save on SRAM?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Searinox said:
So clean mode just means all patches OFF? Every cart can do that, I'm just shocked that the SCDS-1 goes as far as even trying to emulate the save chip with a battery-backed SRAM, I mean is that even necessary? Like... are there games which will not work if they don't save on SRAM?
The capacitor is just there to allow saving without patching the rom.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that the SCDS1 was released at about the same time as the R4, and up until the R4 every flashcart wrote saves to a seperate chip and then copied them to the .sav file next time it was booted up. The EZ-V has a seperate save chip as well, which is is no longer needed for the same reason.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
There isn't a battery in the SCDS1. There's a round capacitor that looks very much like a battery, but IIRC it isn't one.

Exactly what I was about to say. I thought it was confirmed that it was a capacitor, not a battery, which also helps explain why it failed so often (causing many complaints against the SCDS before the firmware update that allowed it to save directly to the microSD card).

DS games don't even use SRAM. Not enough room in the cartridges to put the battery. They use EEPROM or FLASH if I remember correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...