basic questions before buying a ps3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TherealDarknes, Jan 29, 2017.

1. TherealDarknes
    OP

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    i have some questions on what ps3 i need to buy to mod and all of that junk so

1 what versions of the ps3 can be used i tried using the stickyed thread but the link was changed to a supercard seller
    2 can i play backed up games online or can i even play online at all?
    3 can a slim ps3 play ps2 backups using cfw

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    1. Does this mean modable firmware? If so 3.55 and under.
    2. This is possible but from what I hear you risk a possible ban.
    3. Yes.

3. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    1. anything with metldr 1. use psdevwiki to determine that. all phats + some slims can be hacked fully.
    2. u can play online, but do not cheat. also, there r some games that make u more prone to a banning, so be careful with those. black ops 2 is one of them. games seem to be how sony knows rather than being on cfw in general. the eboot.bin (the main executable) sometimes scans for certain folders to determine if ur on cfw. there r only about five games that do this (don't know the full list).
    3. yes, it can.

4. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    no i meant which ps3s as in which slim models and which fat models

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    firmware isn't the deciding factor. 3.55 is only the firmware u can hack without needing a hard mod. 3.56 and 3.60 can be hacked as well or some consoles anyway. it's whether u have metldr 1 or 2. the keys to 1 r known. metldr 2 - no. all phats r hackable as they contain metldr 1. all slims up to the 2500 series r hackable. 2500 is the weird transition from metldr 1 to 2, so some of those r hackable. after that, none r. u can tell by the date code if it's hackable with 2500. if a console can be downgraded to 3.55 or lower, it's hackable as it contains metldr 1. hope that helps.

6. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    where can i find the list of moddable ps3s

i found a 2501A will that work

Last edited by TherealDarknes, Jan 29, 2017
  7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    psdevwiki has that info.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

here, I just found it: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

yellow means sometimes hackable, red means non hackable (cfw-wise). this is based on the minimum downgradable firmware which is the section it's in. 3.60 is sometimes hackable as well as there r some with metldr 1 in the wild. I've never seen one, so I'm basing that off of what I've heard. it's not listed on there. I'd go with one that's for sure hackable rather than tempting it.

8. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    crap i found this one and its in both green and yellow http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playst...560471?hash=item1c7b2bec97:g:i7UAAOSwjDZYh-kA should i just find a new one now?

9. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'd suggest finding one on 3.55 to know for sure. u need the manufactur's date to know with one in the middle.

10. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    i was trying to avoid that as buying one that can be a downgraded and an e3 is cheaper than buying a pre modded console or one on 3.55

11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    really? u could always ask the person. the date of manufacture is on the back.

12. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    just sent one hope he responds before it ends

oh and yes it actually is cheaper to buy a console thats moddable and e3 flasher than it is to get a modded console or one on 3.55

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it would be even cheaper to send it to someone. e3 flashers can be reused, so someone will likely charge u less than the e3 and sata station which is what like $65 together?

14. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    i don't know who i could send it to and who would actually be trust worthy and not just run off with my console

15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    @Zero72463 apparently runs a downgrade service. I don't know how good it is. anyway, u should use someone here. reputations r on the line if they're unscrupulous.

16. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    i will check him out thanks man you have been a big help

17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I try. if I offered such a service, I'd do it for free since ur a temp member. I don't own an e3 though.

18. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    ok so where would i look to find this list of what games are safe to play and can i play non back up disc games online on a modded system or will that also get the account banned also i don't plan on cheating so i have no worry of that

19. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    use sen enabler or psn patch to reduce risk. both will remove cfw syscalls as well as remove history. then, the system won't be able to scan shit. I don't know the list of high risk games, but that should protect u.

20. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    ok thanks im going to be putting that on my new modded fat ps3 thanks c: