Hacking Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a question:
How can i create/restore a stub IOS?
As far as i know slots 249-251 contain a stub IOS on vWii.

I have a FS-Toolbox dump of my "Vanilla"-(only HBC installed)-vWii and want to recreate stub IOS wads for slots 250, 251.
But when i load up my NAND filesystem in ShowMiiWads i can´t see the stubs.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not listed, because they are not present on the NAND.
There's no Stub IOS, as stub one are usually used by old System menu, and instead of deleting them they simply replaced the data (it's safer than deleting IOS?). they just don't exist on vWii.
There's no (official) way to install/replace/update IOS, Nintendo patched the IOS installation function, so they didn't feel like installing a stub IOS in the first place that you wouldn't use/replace anyway....

Here is a clean vWii Syscheck
Code:
sysCheck v2.1.0b18 by Double_A and R2-D2199
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: unknown

Drive date: Unknown
Homebrew Channel 1.0.0 running on IOS0
Hollywood v0x21
Boot2 v0
Found 41 titles.
Found 29 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stub.

IOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
IOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
IOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
IOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
IOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
IOS59 (rev 7201): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches

Report generated on 2012/23/12.

Reactions: [Truth]

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have modded my WiiU with the help of this and other threads and have seen it mentioned several times that you are kind of hosed if you brick your vWii.

But I checked and after modding the vWii on my WiiU I went back to WiiU mode and went to settings and deleted all the content and settings. It did a complete wipe of the system and formatted the WiiU. When it finished the vWii was restored to original settings. HBC and my cIOS's were all removed - it looked like it was factory new.

I don't want to intentionally brick my vWii but if anyone has a vWii that is bricked have you tried doing a WiiU reformat? It may help.

MrVestek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rried that and it didnt help me but that was on the older firmware. perhaps this is an undocumented feature of the new firmware. i wont be hosing it again just to find out anyway... ;-)

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it safe to install DLC wad files on vWii?

I do not see why it would not be. if the wad had invalid data, it should not cause a bannerbrick as its not a channel so you should be able to uninstall it via a wad manager if you cannot via the Wii data management stuff.
so, technically, it should be safe.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to help with taking dev stuff to the next level, help Maxternal with 3 core coding (interesting, take a look): http://gbatemp.net/threads/coding-vwii-3-core-support-everything-you-need-to-know.347626/

If anyone had Linux experience or wants to help with step two (Linux with/through vWii after Maxternal finishes their part): http://gbatemp.net/threads/linux-help-please.347856/page-2#post-4642212

--To those who have looked I thank you for checking it all out. If anyone wants to look, maybe you could help, make an observation, provide a link to check out, OR mention it to somebody you know who likes to play with stuff like this.

Reactions: blinkzane

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question:
How can i create/restore a stub IOS?
As far as i know slots 249-251 contain a stub IOS on vWii.

I have a FS-Toolbox dump of my "Vanilla"-(only HBC installed)-vWii and want to recreate stub IOS wads for slots 250, 251.
But when i load up my NAND filesystem in ShowMiiWads i can´t see the stubs.

If there's no official one, how did you install it? I'd be interested to see your syscheck.

nemesii

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I'm sure I am probably missing something really basic, but I can't get the HBC installed on vwii. hackmii.org is down, so I am using a back up I had from softmodding my wii - but I can't for the life of me figure out what IOS I need or where to get it for vwii. Currently running the indiana pwns exploit gets me into the hackmii installer where it naturally stops just after starting to tell me 'There is no usable or vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii. etc' What would be my next step? (assuming hackmii doesn't come back online all of a sudden) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm sure I am probably missing something really basic, but I can't get the HBC installed on vwii. hackmii.org is down, so I am using a back up I had from softmodding my wii - but I can't for the life of me figure out what IOS I need or where to get it for vwii. Currently running the indiana pwns exploit gets me into the hackmii installer where it naturally stops just after starting to tell me 'There is no usable or vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii. etc' What would be my next step? (assuming hackmii doesn't come back online all of a sudden) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you said " I am using a back up I had from softmodding my wii" if this is true STOP. the vWii and Wii are different.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you said " I am using a back up I had from softmodding my wii" if this is true STOP. the vWii and Wii are different.
wait, sorry, ignore me. I'm tired.
just don't use Wii IOS on your vWii, tbh I've never done the indiana pwns exploit so I'm no help, I prefer the twilight princess exploit since I have experience in it.(which doesnt work for vWii)

but otherwise ignore me. I'm still waiting for this next update to play with anything.

zeke177

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've ran into a big issue. My Wii u. Now gets error code 105-3102 when I do anything internet related. I'm on firmware 2.1.3 but here's the weird thing, I installed some cios so I can play backed up games I had and the games worked fine. But I get my error code. My brother I only put hbc and emulator on his he is on firmware 3.1 and yet he gets the error code as well. No cios installed on his. What should I do?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've ran into a big issue. My Wii u. Now gets error code 105-3102 when I do anything internet related. I'm on firmware 2.1.3 but here's the weird thing, I installed some cios so I can play backed up games I had and the games worked fine. But I get my error code. My brother I only put hbc and emulator on his he is on firmware 3.1 and yet he gets the error code as well. No cios installed on his. What should I do?
Maybe I am going "Out on a limb" here, but update your Wii U. No update is said to have blocked whatever the hacks use. Yeah, update, lmfao...does nothing yet to prevent install/running of home brew on vWii either (yet).

zeke177

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is I get this error when doing anything internet involved. Including updating. I click update and bam. This error code. Eshop bam, error code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended