Hardware Baseless Nintendo NX speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'll take the 1000th reply to this thread and add some speculations of my own.

The Nintendo NX will be a streaming media box. Instead of Nintendo focusing on putting next gen specs inside, they'll just put the necessary good components. Games will be streamed through the internet. Nintendo will implement a rental system for games. Possibly a subscription service that gives you access to all games for the time you subscribed in.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nx is not the successor to wiiu is almost like why there wont be a PLAYSTATION 5 because sony is done with the playstation name/banner/logo.
It doesnt mean sony isnt making home consoles anymore... It just wont be under the playstation name.
Its the same thing as what nintendo is gonna do with their NX

(notice how the new chinese console "FUZE" is competing against thecompany NINTENDO and NOT the system WiiU LMFAO)
nzyj7insw2ky1mzynv7w.jpg
Shit, Now they're are 4 consoles in the console war

Reactions: gameboy

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gtx 1070/ Polaris 10 just blew me out of the water. 6.5 teraflop (which at 900 MHz is almost 5 teraflop), which is the kind of power ps4k can achieve under current spec. That is nearly 3 times of ps4k.
I am really worried the nx.

the problem with high end specs and pixel count is that not many devs and companies have the ability to even produce games that run at 1080p/60fps. Its either go buy gorgeous game or a 16bit game theres almost no in between. The only company who consistently put out good games with good gameplay and graphics i can think of at moment is Ubisoft: Facry, Assassins Creed...

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Nx is not the successor to wiiu is almost like why there wont be a PLAYSTATION 5 because sony is done with the playstation name/banner/logo.
It doesnt mean sony isnt making home consoles anymore... It just wont be under the playstation name.
Its the same thing as what nintendo is gonna do with their NX

(notice how the new chinese console "FUZE" is competing against thecompany NINTENDO and NOT the system WiiU LMFAO)
nzyj7insw2ky1mzynv7w.jpg

Much what you :discuss:said:discuss: goes in hand with my speculation :creep:

This is easy. Think Google Chromecast. Now take that concept and apply it to the "NX", all NX is a mini server that uses a USB dongle of some sort that enables streamed games. Now take that same stick, and put it in your brand new built PC *BAAM*, NX is using your new GPU to play. The method can be applied to many consoles like the PS4. Because when you step back and ask yourself, WHY compete with PC graphics, rather than USE PC graphics, everything would make sense. As for piracy, i don't think you can pirate a game that's streamed, and if we're talking about the name, then Nintendo X (Cross-over?) would make perfect sense.

I think there were a various companies that tried what i just mentioned, (Ouya) i think was one of them, but it didn't take off to my knownledge. HOWEVER, since Nintendo is a big name that's been around for a while AND has big games like LoZ or Mario copyrighted, i believe that not only is their (NX) version of Ouya is going to take off but it's going to lead Sony and Microsoft to take the same initiative. So say good bye to consoles everyone, and say hello to a CRAPload of accessories and add-ons.

Last edited by romeoondaline,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That seems to be the case. Rumours have the console using an IBM/AMD combo like the Wii U, and the handheld uses a Nvidia Tegra setup.
At this point using ppc would kill Nintendo for both lower spec (power8 make e7 look cheap, and ppc has stopped development pretty much after power mac died), newer gen of developers not knowing about the architecture, and now loss of reputation.
Tegra would not be much harder to develop for than smartphone. Though tegra x1 is a minimum.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The IBM chip isn't really PPC, though it is based on it. I think the main thing is that Nintendo plans on continuing to use the same architecture, meaning they can just update their development software instead of starting from scratch. It allows them to port their massive back catalog over all the time. I expect I can buy a NX, transfer my Wii U collection to it, then sell my Wii U to pay for NX games.

I really don't think Nintendo has any interest in fighting in the rat race. I have long believed that the NX would simply be an updated version of the Wii U architecture that takes in account bottlenecks found in the Wii U but otherwise being a minor boost - kind of like the Gamecube chips compared to the Wii chips.

Don't forget that while the Wii's controllers made it more approachable to casual gamers, the initial low price helped cement it as the console you buy alongside your PS3 or Xbox 360 - putting it in the lead at first.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The IBM chip isn't really PPC, though it is based on it. I think the main thing is that Nintendo plans on continuing to use the same architecture, meaning they can just update their development software instead of starting from scratch. It allows them to port their massive back catalog over all the time. I expect I can buy a NX, transfer my Wii U collection to it, then sell my Wii U to pay for NX games.

I really don't think Nintendo has any interest in fighting in the rat race. I have long believed that the NX would simply be an updated version of the Wii U architecture that takes in account bottlenecks found in the Wii U but otherwise being a minor boost - kind of like the Gamecube chips compared to the Wii chips.

Don't forget that while the Wii's controllers made it more approachable to casual gamers, the initial low price helped cement it as the console you buy alongside your PS3 or Xbox 360 - putting it in the lead at first.
Power7 and 8, let alone 9 is too expansive for this, and the majority does not know how to handle power's insane multi threading.
And gc was ahead of the time, wii u was already behind in 2013.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, just so you guys know, the "MH" was PURE speculation with absolutely nothing backing it up. It was just a placeholder name in an article to speculate on what Nintendo's next handheld could be like

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like we've all been busy the last few weeks, im still catching up on old rumors i thought this thread woulda posted more lol.

The latest being VR, i always thought the "MH" would possibly double as a vr headset too, if plugged into the NX, because of the size and design. But then again i feel someone is reading this speculation thread and taking it as "rumors" instead. If they do come out with augmented reality headpiece maybe that too could double as VR. either way NX is rumored to be "VERY" affordable possibly making it the cheapest VR console people can buy.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like we've all been busy the last few weeks, im still catching up on old rumors i thought this thread woulda posted more lol.

The latest being VR, i always thought the "MH" would possibly double as a vr headset too, if plugged into the NX, because of the size and design. But then again i feel someone is reading this speculation thread and taking it as "rumors" instead. If they do come out with augmented reality headpiece maybe that too could double as VR. either way NX is rumored to be "VERY" affordable possibly making it the cheapest VR console people can buy.
That would be awesome. Imagine Zelda in VR. Or pokemon battles.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a lot of these games being delayed are only for the purpose of releasing closer to the NX release date and that they are actually "complete" for day one play

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That would be awesome. Imagine Zelda in VR. Or pokemon battles.
What about metroid prime? It's made in first person and work well with dolphin vr. Both zelda and mario need to be in third person which takes a lot more effort to ultalize vr properly, if not impossible.
Pokemon battles on the other hand will be awesome.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I feel like a lot of these games being delayed are only for the purpose of releasing closer to the NX release date and that they are actually "complete" for day one play
Please don't say that. Kimashima should know how pissed the players are.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about metroid prime? It's made in first person and work well with dolphin vr. Both zelda and mario need to be in third person which takes a lot more effort to ultalize vr properly, if not impossible.
Pokemon battles on the other hand will be awesome.

Just think like you're controlling a puppet or a remote-controlled toy. If you don't have a translation concept in mind then it will be difficult to make any sense of it, but if you imagine how your actions manipulate Link or Mario (such as a controller manipulating a toy or using a puppet attacked to strings) It'll work.

The easiest solution would be to use a controller as before and pretend you're controlling a roboLink or roboMario, but if it can track your hands and fingers it can place virtual strings attaching your limbs to the puppet's strings.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just think like you're controlling a puppet or a remote-controlled toy. If you don't have a translation concept in mind then it will be difficult to make any sense of it, but if you imagine how your actions manipulate Link or Mario (such as a controller manipulating a toy or using a puppet attacked to strings) It'll work.

The easiest solution would be to use a controller as before and pretend you're controlling a roboLink or roboMario, but if it can track your hands and fingers it can place virtual strings attaching your limbs to the puppet's strings.
But both of them use follow camera. Which might not be the best to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i dont have a wii u so not me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Steam
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I'm seeing a bunch of people trying to sell consoles for way more than what they are actually worth (regardless of the overall conditions) just because of the fucking motherboard revision
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get the amount of work behind it but it's more to brag hey look at me original hardware
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I was so confused when I saw 3 consoles costing twice as much as the average price you would expect
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I'm going to melt
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Going to smoke a bowl, eat pizza, drink a beer, and watch I Saw the TV Glow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do people on YouTube keep making themselves glow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh