Gaming Backing up / Restoring / Initalising Bootleg Pokemon Green

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am trying to use the GBATool to Backup the save from my Bootlegged version of Pokemon green without much luck.

Trying to make a copy of the Save produces a 128KB Save file that couldn't be read correctly by VBA, However I am not so sure the save is even in there as I also cannot even Initialise the Save or Write anything back even a fresh backup from the same cart...

The Rom it is using is also curious, The Normal Size of Pokemon Leaf Green is 16MB but this one when backed up to a .GBA comes out to 32MB

Both sizes seem to be Double what it should be but even that I cannot be sure given how the game loads and saves when playing normally.

When loading the game every time tells me "The Previous Save Will Be Loaded" and when saving the music hangs for a second or two then comes back (sort of some midi instruments don't seem to play after this)

I Know directly sharing the ROM is against the rules of this forum and as such I wont put it up here.

But, Here is a link to my save if anyone wants to take a look and maybe shed some light on this it would be awesome!

For those curious here is the internals of the cart
w0789Ril.jpg

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
43% of that save file is 0x00, and 43.4% is 0xFF. of the other 13.6%, it consists of 1,2,4,8,11,20,40,7F,80,BF,DF,EF,F7,FB,FD, and FE. All of those extra characters occur around 900-1,100 times, none of the other characters show at all. There is no obvious lead-in or padding either, with small difference bits spread everywhere.

In addition, the actual data (whatever was read) appears to be spread out haphazardly.
save.png
As you can probably guess, the filler is either 0x00 or 0xFF depending on where in the file you are.

So while I originally thought the file would just need to have lead-in or padding trimmed... after looking at it, whatever data it read, it's not the save and it's not recoverable.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yea it looks like GBATool didn't read the Save properly at all (which explains the fact it wouldn't load into VBA) and produced a junk file.

I wonder if there is any alternative rom / save backup software for DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: