backed up save file not recognized [Gateway]

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by wiibomb, Jul 21, 2015.

1. wiibomb
    OP

wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    recently I tried a rom I dumped for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, I dumped the rom and the save, in fact I have several saves from different times since 100 hrs with the game and up to the 534 hours I have now..

when I try to start the rom with the save I backed up (named with the ID of the game, so gateway can find it) the rom said that the save needs to be reformatted and cannot be used, it reformats itself and then I start with a clean save file.

I tried with with my own dump and also with the scene dump but I find always the same result and I cannot continue my game from Gateway, anyone know a solution for this? or why does this happen?

2. Commandertemp

Commandertemp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2014
    United States
    gateway doesnt have support for any 3ds saves under 4.x; the only card2 game that works iirc is acnl

3. wiibomb
    OP

wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    but... MH4U is not a card2 game

4. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    The bolded sentence is the reason why it's incompatible.
    Please read my signature.

Maximilious likes this.
  5. wiibomb
    OP

wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    oh thanks for your answer @MelonGx

guess I won't be able to use my save, I just hope that I can restore it to a retail cart if I ever need to

EDIT: just a little question, are we allowed in this forum to ask for a save file?

6. henn64

henn64 Hey Dood

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    Behind You >:)
    Word of advice: Don't dump GW saves from the GW Menu. I use either SaveDataFiler for Card2 games or I copy the .sav files from the root of the large SD and stick 'em on my PC. Anyone correct me if i'm wrong but I think .cia Card1 games (not legit eshop) also have .sav files.

7. wiibomb
    OP

wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    I don't understand, sorry.. why I shouldn't dump the saves from my retail cart through the gateway menu? does it corrupt the save file in the cartridge?

8. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    (1)
    As my signature explained, if a Post-Oct-2013 retail save is read by GW, it AUTO-CORRUPTS.
    If you don't have any backup, then it has gone forever.

To dump a save from Post-Oct-2013 game properly, you shouldn't use GW platform.
    Use Pasta / NTR / rxTools + 3DS SysNAND 6.0+ instead.

(2)
    http://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/game-saves/

9. wiibomb
    OP

wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Thanks, I'll do what you said