Avoid updating ps4 system to v9.0 or 9.03!

2DSGamerdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hi all,
um this is just a post that any ps4 users should not be updating their ps4 systems to v9.0 or/and v9.03
as these fw's can cause seroius longterm issues that cannot be fized/patched easily by a fufture fw, maybe they can, but atm
sony has fucked us ps4 users all up for now.

one way to ensure that your system stays on a stable/working/safe fw is to:

1) uncheck the "system software update" option in automatic downloads section on my ps4 in settings,
so that your system does not automaticly download the newest FW update currently out there.

2) if it does, just delete the downloaded file, do not install it to your system.

3) the system updates (v9.0/v9.03) are not safe to use have on your system, as they can cuase these things to happen after fw install:

- Brick ps4 system (does not work properly, won't boot up)
- super slow/lagging issues (on all models) ps4 fat/ps4 silm/ps4 pro
- games will not load up or can be played (not cmos bug?) as v9.0 should fix the cmos bug?
- other issues.

so, since the newest fw updates for ps4 are so unsafe to use, do not update your system to them.
mine is on 8.50 and it's working fine, and i will keep it that way until sony relaes a fw that does not do the above issues to a ps4 system,

a working system is way batter, 100x times batter than a non working one (bricked).

i dunno way sony is doing this to ps4 users specificly, but they pretty much suck on fixing the fw's to fully safe/stable working ones for ps4 users.

maybe sony did this to cause ps4 users to buy ps5's instead and ditch their ps4 units?

Reactions: console and KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This happened before with various firmwares bricking bd drives and causing boot loops. They don’t do it on purpose, but it’s annoying.

Is there a wave of bricks then? I mean a staggering statistic of numbers of consoles that are bricking? Or is it the odd one or two reported?

2DSGamerdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This happened before with various firmwares bricking bd drives and causing boot loops. They don’t do it on purpose, but it’s annoying.

Is there a wave of bricks then? I mean a staggering statistic of numbers of consoles that are bricking? Or is it the odd one or two reported?

i dunno, it seems to be alot of users reporting issues with v9.0. not sure about v.9.03,
but it can't be any better than what v9.0 does :( .

im not updating my ps4 to these fw's, so i can have a working system, it's way better than a non working one.

tho, if you don't have the latest fw, you can't use psn or update/sync tropfies, but it's a minor/small con compraied to the big con that is what v9.0-9.02 does to the ps4 systems, it seems.

bd drives bricking and boot loops? woo, ps4 updates really suck then and now it ssems.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 7.55 firmware (for my own legal bought and not want to jailbreak) and still hold for a long time. I heard a lot of people are complain about 9.0 - 9.03 firmware on their PS4 systems. Same with 8.xx firmware affect problems on their PS4 systems.

Look like Sony don't care about people's PS4 system problems cause by 9.xx firmware updates. I not sure if someone make lawsuits against Sony for damage all PS4 systems due to bad or buggy firmware that mess up, bricking them. :(

Sony force all people to buy PS5 systems and ditch PS4 systems. It's make me sad to heard about news. I just understand what problems are go on. Then I would be force to buy PS5 system. :(

2DSGamerdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm on 7.55 firmware (for my own legal bought and not want to jailbreak) and still hold for a long time. I heard a lot of people are complain about 9.0 - 9.03 firmware on their PS4 systems. Same with 8.xx firmware affect problems on their PS4 systems.

Look like Sony don't care about people's PS4 system problems cause by 9.xx firmware updates. I not sure if someone make lawsuits against Sony for damage all PS4 systems due to bad or buggy firmware that mess up, bricking them. :(

Sony force all people to buy PS5 systems and ditch PS4 systems. It's make me sad to heard about news. I just understand what problems are go on. Then I would be force to buy PS5 system. :(
right, im on 8.50 and im not even thinking of updating to 9.0-9.03 beaucse of the serious issues that these fw can cause to the ps4.

sure, i cannot go into PSN or sync tropies from my system to psn, or use it to get those free KH story so far themes that i have unlocked recently.

but a small con, the big picture here is that my system still works and plays fine, so im ok. updating it to 9.0-9.03 would be bad as i dunno what might/not happen to my ps4 system, and i do not wnat a non working, bircked ystem that has issues.

Reactions: console

Panzer_Baboon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These sorts of things happen with all devices these days. I updated a TV this morning that has Android TV as an OS that I haven't turned on in 10 months. It took 20 minutes to upgrade and I thought it was dead when it took almost another 20 minutes to start from a black screen. This is how things are these days. I didn't update a router with security flaws for months out of fears that it will break or break settings for my set top boxes that are very hard to configure without using the router that the ISP provides.

I didn't turn on my Pro for over 2 months worried about people saying the 9.00 update bricked their console. I worried needlessly as usual. I go through my routine of removing any disk in the console, making sure I'm using the stock theme, remove any USB devices, etc. and proceed to update. It doesn't restart very quickly. I always panic when it sits there a long time being turned off. It comes back to life and after less than a minute, everything is fine once again. I wonder how many people panic during this time and do something to the console when they shouldn't touch it at all?

3 days later, the 9.03 update comes out. Do I update? No, too worried about what people post online to attempt it. Luckily, this time there was a reward for having the unwarranted fear of updating the console.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my Pro from 8.52 to 9.00 via the Safe Mode manually with a USB. All went A-OK.

It still felt a bit "scary" in case it'd update itself somehow.

Demix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are people bricking on 9.0/9.03? I always do the offline method with usb recovery and never even heard of these "updating" issues

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are people bricking on 9.0/9.03? I always do the offline method with usb recovery and never even heard of these "updating" issues
Most folks don't do that and PS Plus users get the "free" feature of updating automatically (possibly free users now too) so if it happens, it's real unfortunate.

I don't remember when I updated my PS4 Slim to 9.00 or if it was automatic. I left it unused for months.

jdexo1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
For what it's worth, I personally updated my old base ps4 running on 8.03 to the retail 9.00 normally. Haven't even heard of this issue

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot brick a ps4 just from updating unless "You" interfered the updating process. Bricking happens when the user screws up or tampers with something they do not understand. All this thread has done is created fearmongering 9.0 is totally fine. If you go to 9.03 that just means you cannot jailbreak your ps4

skarama

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You cannot brick a ps4 just from updating unless "You" interfered the updating process. Bricking happens when the user screws up or tampers with something they do not understand. All this thread has done is created fearmongering 9.0 is totally fine. If you go to 9.03 that just means you cannot jailbreak your ps4
Well I can confirm, it does brick it and I've done exactly 0 "interfering". My network features were disabled on 9.0 and I was forced to do the 9.03 update. The second I launched the process it goes to Error SU-30676-2, with very little explanation as to what to do about it. I've since tried running the update multiple times, deleting notifs and downloads, I've gone into safemode to try the USB update, I've done a full reinstall of the PS, and all I achieved was deleting my profile, settings and games. Now I can't play a single game because I can't connect my user (network feature) without updating, which of course, fails every single time. I've then bought a whole new disk, replaced it, downloaded the PS OS file from playstation file, same freaking error. My PS4 is now completely useless because of this update.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
restoring the system didn't fix it?
I've read that the only fix was a restoration (and losing the profiles, savegames, screeshots etc.)
Sorry it didn't help :(

I'm also keeping my console on 8.50 waiting for a fix, but it's taking its time...
9.0 was in September, 9.3 in December.
Sony is aware of it, as they (over twitter's official) ask the users to send the console back, but the warranty is over for years...you have to pay for a repair.
but they never acknowledged the problem, they only ask users to send the console.

When I read about the issue with 9.0, it was supposed to be happening if the HDD has issues (bad sectors, etc.), or BD reader issue. But it's maybe something else as you replaced your drive. I suppose your disc drive worked fine before too ?
Someone said he plugged his drive in someone else console, updated, put it back, and it worked (here)

it was also discussed here too :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps4-firmware-update-v9-0-bricks-consoles.594325/

and on reddit

Last edited by Cyan,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been on 9.00 since the day the JB came out, no issues at all for me so far either. If i do get any issues then i guess i might then have a reason to open the PS5 i have sitting here :)

Reactions: UnderJinx

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can confirm, it does brick it and I've done exactly 0 "interfering". My network features were disabled on 9.0 and I was forced to do the 9.03 update. The second I launched the process it goes to Error SU-30676-2, with very little explanation as to what to do about it. I've since tried running the update multiple times, deleting notifs and downloads, I've gone into safemode to try the USB update, I've done a full reinstall of the PS, and all I achieved was deleting my profile, settings and games. Now I can't play a single game because I can't connect my user (network feature) without updating, which of course, fails every single time. I've then bought a whole new disk, replaced it, downloaded the PS OS file from playstation file, same freaking error. My PS4 is now completely useless because of this update.
Sounds like a bad HDD or theres something else going on with that PS4 especially if it had a history of problems thats not being explained here. A brick means that the PS4 wont turn on period, yours is still very much functional if it can make it to the homescreen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over