Avoid eMMC corruption - any preventive measures?

Glomgold

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I ran WiiUIdent today and found out that I have eMMC manufactured by Samsung. I guess that's good but not great. I bought the console recently, used but in good condition. I'm running Tiramisu with an external SSD and a 64GB SD card. I haven't installed any games, wads etc. to the NAND. I have a complete backup of the NAND, didn't have any issues.

My understanding is that the game saves also are on the SSD (Wii U / Wii) / SD card (Gamecube)?

Is there anything I can do to make the Wii U live a long and happy life?

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there anything I can do to make the Wii U live a long and happy life?
Keep the nand empty and run everything off the external drive, that's all you can do to prolong its life. Don't worry too much about it though, I have 2 Hynix consoles myself and that's what I do. I mean, there're multiple ways to fix it now so that's something.

Reactions: Glomgold

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would just use it as it is. Samsung eMMCs in the Wii U are not problematic. Also just leaving stuff on the MLC save won't make the eMMC die faster or something. The only thing that would put significant wear on it is saving. But even with that I wouldn't expect that the wear on the eMMC is significant. The eMMC should be able to sustrain a few TBs of writes. saving are a few MB at most. And then not even all writes go through to the eMMC but land in the SLC cache. And the SLC should be able to handle 10th of TBW,
Saves for Wii U Games go to wherever it is installed (USB / MLC). Wii Games, including the ones from the eShop installed to the Wii U side save alwas on the slccmp and never go to the eMMC.

Reactions: Glomgold

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1