Avatool - Homebrew Tool to Change Avatars

This is a quick tool I threw together in my free time the last two days to make changing avatars to custom ones easier for myself. It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash. While I have had 0 problems testing it, it does write to system save data, which some might consider risky. Also, guaranteed ban online. You've been warned.

Avatars are 256x256 JPG files. Place them in the folder sdmc:/avatar/. Avatool will only see files with the extension '.jpg'
Once on the main selection screen:
  • L and R change the targeted avatar image
  • Up and Down control the file menu
  • A will overwrite the target with the selected source image
If the write was successful, you will see the target image change. Reboot and it should show on the home menu and profile screens.

Keep in mind this isn't supposed to be anything fancy.

avatool.jpg

https://github.com/J-D-K/Avatool/releases

Last edited by JK_,

Grand-Master

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.instagram.com
XP
Country
United States
This is a quick tool I threw together in my free time the last two days to make changing avatars to custom ones easier for myself. It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash. While I have had 0 problems testing it, it does write to system save data, which some might consider risky. Also, guaranteed ban online. You've been warned.

Avatars are 256x256 JPG files. Place them in the folder sdmc:/avatar/. Avatool will only see files with the extension '.jpg'
If the write was successful, you will see the target image change. Reboot and it should show on the home menu and profile screens.

Keep in mind this isn't supposed to be anything fancy.

https://github.com/J-D-K/Avatool/releases
You're truly awesome, now we have and can have custom avatars! Great! much personalized than ever, better than ever, thanks for this tool man, my respects:grog:

Gimzie

professional moron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a freaking avatar gives you ban, it's only natural themes do it also.
But hey, that what one gets by making the console ours.
It's a damn shame, really.

Why do companies hate us so much that we can't make the console truly ours?

The difference is that avatars show up for everyone else online, whilst themes do not. And to my knowledge, theme information isn't reported to Nintendo.

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a different TitleID when using the HBMenu NSP. I'll give the Avatool NSP a go and see what happens. I also uploaded all of my recent Atmosphere crash reports, I had cleaned out the folder right before I tried this out, so they should all be crashes from Avatool.

--Edit--

Avatool NSP also crashes at the same point
Does this one work at all? I haven't had time to rebuild the console output stuff. This one is straight account shutdown to select.

Attachments

• Avatool.zip
    588.1 KB · Views: 200

ruyor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this one work at all? I haven't had time to rebuild the console output stuff. This one is straight account shutdown to select.
This one seems to crash in the same spot, there's just no text/UI on the screen until the crash report now.

I don't really need it to work as I changed mine already via DevMenu, but I do want to help debug this odd problem as this is an awesome thing to have as a homebrew app. If there's any extra info you need that could help, just let me know

Last edited by ruyor,

Bartitude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi ! Can someone explain to me how it works?
I launch Avatool and I come across a page that asks me to either press A (which makes the console crash) or press + (which brings me back to the menu)
What should I do ?
Thank you

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi ! Can someone explain to me how it works?
I launch Avatool and I come across a page that asks me to either press A (which makes the console crash) or press + (which brings me back to the menu)
What should I do ?
Thank you
I'm looking into it when I can. I want it as consistent as it can be for everyone who wants to use it. I have a good idea of what it is though.

Edit: @ruyor @Bartitude Attached a newer, hopefully more stable version. It will still crash eventually, but hopefully you can at least make it to the selection screen.

Attachments

• Avatool.zip
    2 MB · Views: 207
Last edited by JK_,
Reactions: Csmrcc

Bartitude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm looking into it when I can. I want it as consistent as it can be for everyone who wants to use it. I have a good idea of what it is though.

Edit: @ruyor @Bartitude Attached a newer, hopefully more stable version. It will still crash eventually, but hopefully you can at least make it to the selection screen.

Thanks for the link but what is the precise procedure to change the avatar?
What I do:
- I run Avatool via nsp or nro
- I have a message telling me to either press "A" or press "+"
- When I press "A" the console crashes ...
- When I press "+" she returns to the menu san nothing else ...
Did I miss a step?

thanks for the help

A

a9lh-1user

From the FIRST post:
And that:
It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash.

Hope it helps ;)

Bartitude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From the FIRST post:
And that:
It works by terminating the account service on your Switch which will lead to a crash.

Hope it helps ;)
The procedure of changing the avatar with "L" and "R" and everything else, I understood, thank you.
What I do not understand is how to get there?
When I'm on the home screen, what should I do?

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link but what is the precise procedure to change the avatar?
What I do:
- I run Avatool via nsp or nro
- I have a message telling me to either press "A" or press "+"
- When I press "A" the console crashes ...
- When I press "+" she returns to the menu san nothing else ...
Did I miss a step?

thanks for the help
Are you using the version from the post you quoted? I posted a new NSP and NRO with an issue fixed that I overlooked. After you press A, it's supposed to bring you to a simple selection screen.

Bartitude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Are you using the version from the post you quoted? I posted a new NSP and NRO with an issue fixed that I overlooked. After you press A, it's supposed to bring you to a simple selection screen.
Yes I took the last version you put in your previous post. :)
When I press "A" (when I have the choice between "a" and "+") it makes me crash the switch and I am forced to restart it.

Bartitude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Once the console crashes, I have 2 "errors":
(x1) XAJ400236640555
(x2) 6.1.0.

Can this help solve the problem?

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once the console crashes, I have 2 "errors":
(x1) [serial number]
(x2) 6.1.0.

Can this help solve the problem?
You do have a folder in the root of your SD card named avatar and have at least 1 jpg image in it, right? That's the only way I can get it to instantly crash now.

Bartitude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You do have a folder in the root of your SD card named avatar and have at least 1 jpg image in it, right? That's the only way I can get it to instantly crash now.

Yes I have an image in "jpg" 256x256 which weighs 24.76 kb
Should I try with another image?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah it's good it works!
In fact the only image I had put to test your program is not good but it seems to put other image that works.
Thank you for your help and thank you for this simple but great program! ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol