• Replies 355
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Also, for the record, Rainbow Road is my favourite course as well so I'd like to verse you at some point. I tend to vote for it frequently, simply because it rarely is chosen.

I did not realise that the shrink cloud increases your speed! That introduces some interesting possibilities. I actually like the item and enjoy passing it on to my opponents (at least when there are players to pass it onto).

Unlike the DS version where it is utterly useless due to the map on the secondary screen, I like the "crappy ink." I find it very disconcerting myself, so I expect that others may feel the same. That said, this may dissipate as familiarity with the courses increases.

Certainly, luck plays a huge role. I've benefited several times when the odd invincibility star has been dropped unceremoniously on the final stretch. It's the computer programmer in me - I can't help but break things apart. It's what I do™ ... It's the way I role™ ... I can't decide which is the lamer slogan, opinion?

Come to think of it, reading your account of the match made me realise a failing in my strategy: I try to pass the cloud on straight away giving my opponent ample opportunity to pass it back. I should time it more carefully to pass it just as it's about to go off. When it comes down to it, it's always human error
wink.gif

A

armand66

OP
Yeh man, the cloud itself, even though i'm not a big fan of it, is actually one of the most strategic items you can get in the game.

Basically, with each "shock" you gain from it, you pick up speed, the final shock you seem to be almost doing the same speed as invincibility, except a second later you cop a lightning and of course, get shrunk.

So, if you cop the cloud, use it to catch up as best you can (if this is possible, sometimes you get it way too far back, just bad luck if so) and try to time it to your benefit, to keep your speed, but to shrink them. In 1v1, as long as your driving close to your opponent, clouds might be the item to bring about the most wins if used correctly.

(In games i've played or watched wherein the Cloud racer passes onto another, that user almost always wins)

I didn't realize the cloud made you faster, till i was on Luigi Circuit 1v1 with a mate, and he got it just barely behind me, and next thing i know he was well ahead of me (watching this in split screen showed a dramatic increase in speed by the end) until next thing he knew, he was shrunk lol.

I agree about the Ink, on the DS it was useless as you could drive through the entire map screen anyways, but on some courses in MK Wii it is very hash indeed. Ghost Valley 2 springs to mind as a course you don't want ink on, not because the course is hard (easy to memorize and most of us know it by heart) but because combined with the sky colour, seeing any bananas or shells can be hard with ink.

Beatnik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As the other thread is locked:
"ROUND 1:Original:Luigi Circuit, DK Summit, Grumble Volcano"

'DK Summit' is called 'DK's Snowboard Cross' in my version, assuming we're talking about the 3rd track of the Flower Cup. It might be worth making a note of this.

QUOTE said:
I didn't realize the cloud made you faster, till i was on Luigi Circuit 1v1 with a mate, and he got it just barely behind me, and next thing i know he was well ahead of me (watching this in split screen showed a dramatic increase in speed by the end) until next thing he knew, he was shrunk lol.

Well, at least Luigi Circuit was good for something, right?
tongue.gif

A

armand66

OP
Ah yeh i made a mistake there lol, i'll get it fixed up soon enough lol.

Man, we both know Luigis Circuit ain't good for anything, ANYTHING!!!!! lol.

We need to get some 12 player League GPs, or team gps set up, would be cool fun.

Have to admit, i've raced in a few races worldwide with some League members, and if i was second and they were first, i've held back reds, nothing like finishing 1st and 2nd against a whole group lol.

genx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Armand66, are those tracks you used in your example, are the ones we have to race in ? Or could we pick any 4 from original cup and 4 from retro cup ? Only asking because I don't like some of the tracks.
smile.gif

A

armand66

OP
Those are the tracks we race in lol.

For ROUND 1 for example, i face ELO in the "classic round", GBA Shy Guy Beach, N64 Mario Raceway, N64 Sherbet Land are the courses we MUST pick in the first 3 races of our GP.

If elo beats me 3 races to 0, thats what the score is. The 4th race (since its a GP) doesn't matter to the league.

In my other ROUND 1 game, i gotta face BIG CHOP, in the "Original round", on Luigis Circuit, DK Snowboard Cross, Grumble Volcano, i might lose 2-1 after three rounds, before the last game for fun.

Out of all those courses, i like N64 Sherbet Land, N64 Mario Raceway, Grumble Volcano. NOT a big fan of the others, but, other people might be. We don't want to have people only playing what they like or are good at (which is much the same thing lol).

If you look at the list though, we play ALL the courses over the course of the season, that is, if you manage to make the grand final, hehe.

vertabray

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Hey guys

Just been playing a little and decided to watch the world ranked #1 on a few tracks

TIP FOR TODAY
Watch world Rank #1 to get racing tips.

I just realised that Maple Treeway has 2 shortcuts both very well hidden.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!! Now give me presents!!

A

armand66

OP
Lol, it's funny how many miss the second shortcut, which is plainly obvious for most, but its at such a point most people are panicking about being flipped around and the upcoming finish line lol.

Daisy Circuits is a good one with a mushroom, as is Coconut Mall and Moonview Highway.

Happy Birthday man, consider my advice to download Okami my birthday present rofl:P

Beatnik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hilarious, I knew about the shortcuts at the finish line but I didn't know about the one right at the start. No wonder I'm consistently walloped on that course! ...okay, that and I have a tendency to be knocked off the branches
smile.gif

Edit: I wonder if screen size/ratio has anything to do with people missing the second shortcut. I play on my Dell 24" Widescreen LCD and they're blatantly obvious.

Happy Birthday Vertabray!

vertabray

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
armand66 said:
Lol, it's funny how many miss the second shortcut, which is plainly obvious for most, but its at such a point most people are panicking about being flipped around and the upcoming finish line lol.

Daisy Circuits is a good one with a mushroom, as is Coconut Mall and Moonview Highway.

Happy Birthday man, consider my advice to download Okami my birthday present rofl:P

Thanks guys

And I did DL Okami, man soooo much talking at the start. 16 minutes before the save point :-P

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, Happy Birthday Verta
biggrin.gif

Hmm Maple Treeway shortcuts? What!!? lol

Might take your advice and d/l the ghost data.

A

armand66

OP
vertabray said:
armand66 said:

Thanks guys

And I did DL Okami, man soooo much talking at the start. 16 minutes before the save point :-P

Lol, yeh, the game starts extremely slow, especially for action-adventure, but once you get into it its a fantastic game and well worth it, i'll buy a copy of it when it comes out here, just for support to the dev. (same goes for mario kart, the wheel is a bonus lol)

@Beatnik, thats a good point about screen ratio. I play the Wii (and 360) on a Samsung 101cm Widescreen LCD, and i passed that shortcut at the end of Maple a hundred times, and it's very easy to see, but in the heat of the battle i never usually vear that way lol. Both the Maple shortcuts i can imagine might be hard to see for people on a non-widescreen image, given MK is 480p. Haven't tried it on a CRT tv to see if it's cut out. The first one, well, obviously great for time trials, but will be interesting to see if its worth it in 12 player, given no items on the shortcuts path, and a heap of people right behind you with items galore.

Seems to be a lot more shortcuts in this game than the previous few mario kart games, although some of them are purely mushroom/time trial based.

I played a heap of N64 Mario Kart, and was able to finish Wario Stadium 3 laps in next to no time with the wall jump trick, not to mention spinning around on DK Jungle Highway for 3 quick powerslide laps, or Jumping the wall on Mario Raceway, or making the big jump on Rainbow Road, or, lmfao, the cheating hit wall/fall into water on Royal Raceway hehe.

The Good ole days.....

A

armand66

OP
Yeh, Rainbow Road is difficult for a lot of people Lisa, just go into Time Trial, and get used to it in there and you'll get used to it enough to be doing Mini-turbos on every corner.

Beatnik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's strange. From my second time racing Rainbow Road (both times on WFC) I've been able to do it correctly. Maple Treeway, on the other hand, I don't think I will be able to do adequately in a million years.

A

armand66

OP
Yeah, when i'm on WFC i tend to pick Rainbow Road, at least until i get it. Copping crap like Luigis Circuit (wish Luigis Mansion was a retro track) means i don't feel bad when half the scrubs get lapped on Rainbow Road.

Every corner can be mini-turbo'd around, and as long as you don't cop a blue shell or lightning on a jump, it should be a fairly safe course. (Or use a light kart on that first straight, usually good way of being knocked off)

Only time i've lost it online has been to a player that knows it as well as myself, and has either got the lead, or i've lost it barely through a Blue. (I don't know if you remember Beatnik, but i've raced you twice on RR 12 player, and they were actually back to back. First race you won, second race i won, and both times, we were miles ahead of the opposition.

Elisa_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Beatnik said:
It's strange. From my second time racing Rainbow Road (both times on WFC) I've been able to do it correctly. Maple Treeway, on the other hand, I don't think I will be able to do adequately in a million years.
It's strange. From my second time racing on Maple Treeway (on WFC because i haven't even unlocked it in 1-p) I do it so pro. Rainbow Road on the other hand, I don't think I will be able adequately in a million trillion years.

A

armand66

OP
The basic A-League ladder has been placed in the fixtures topic, to let people know how things will work. It'll be updated once a week from the week of the 28th.

The B-League Ladder will be placed within as soon as we finalize how big the B-League will be.

desh_thiere

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, I am going to have to withdraw my name from the league. With the release of Okami I have been spending all my spare time on that, rather than mario kart. I don't think I will up to the standard put forward by the other tempers so let someone better take my place.

Feel free to still add my friend code, as I still play online a bit, just not as much as everyone here
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They said that they will also discontinue support for Windows 7, of which I thought they'd already done so.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get use to Linux then
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya