Gaming Attempting to flash, but can't

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're talking about the same drive that was mentioned in this thread, but because of the different nature of this topic, I am choosing to make this thread instead.

Okay so in short, I have the hardware that I should need to be able to flash the thing. My main computer with a 680i SLi motherboard has native SATA ports on it. I also got the VIA SATA card connected to a different computer.

In both cases though, as I am setting up to go run jungleflasher and get things started, I can't do it. Why?

On the 680i (main) system, the thing hard locks up as soon as I plug it in. It doesn't matter if I've enabled or disabled eSATA functionality on the BIOS, and even if I disable eSATA and boot up with the drive turned on from the get-go, it even freezes solid on POST. Not even ctrl-alt-del will get me out of it.

On the system with the VIA card, going to My Computer, it then hard locks there, and I can't get any further response from the system.

So just what am I doing wrong here? And what can I do so I can go get this done already?
mad.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Uninstall the via sata drivers if you installed them (you might have to go into the system directories and wipe them out there).
There were some third party/hacked drivers also doing the rounds that did not cause issues but I do not have a link to hand.

Diagnostic method yanking the sata cable/powering the drive down: does it bring back your system?
If so going to my computer tries to poll/read the drive as it would a normal drive which it is not and windows is not known for error catching/handling (I see the same thing on broken/dying drives or ones with corrupted file systems/FAT entries).

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least on the 680i, unplugging the sata at that point does nothing to fix it. but then again, I had the same scenario when I tried an external hard drive that had an eSATA port, and tried to use the sata-to-eSATA plug that the HAF 932 case I have supplies.

Powering it off after booting up doesn't bring it back either.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so for now, I have simply wiped and reformatted the system that has the VIA card in it. Annoyingly though, the retail OEM key that was from its prior installation doesn't want to work with the only XP CD's I currently have (which are from MSDN licenses), so this is not a "permanent" solution until I can get it to 'take' the key it should.

That means right now, there is no VIA card driver. The system is basically fresh...

So what driver should I install so that the VIA card will work, and allow me to connect the 360 DVD drive to it so I can proceed?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No drivers are needed for the sata card; it should be sitting on various system buses already.

The only things that need installing are PortIO32 (they come with jungleflasher) and the USB drivers for your probe of choice.

shadowwolf1579

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't the via card come with an install disc? When i got mine I installed it into my computer, then used the disc it came with and installed the drivers. Then I installed the PortIO32 that Fast is talking about and then did all the jungle flasher stuff

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried that in my prior install, but the whole system just locked up when I plugged the 360 drive in last time. the system wouldn't come back even if I did unplug it after, or ctrl+alt+deleted.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure you have it in half open mode properly (without it your drive is a standard 360 drive)? I find if you give about 7 odd mm between the case and the edge of the mould marks it works pretty well.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Are you sure you have it in half open mode properly (without it your drive is a standard 360 drive)? I find if you give about 7 odd mm between the case and the edge of the mould marks it works pretty well.
Am I supposed to do this before booting up the computer?

I've also noticed that the computer has yet to be able to detect the xtractor is plugged in via USB, so it won't let me install its driver, either.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need to have the drive in half open mode before powering it: usual way is to eject it and then close the tray but before it gets far kill the power and then manually push the tray in.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just noticed something very particular.

Again, as a recap, the VIA card drivers are installed in XP.

I've also got the PortIO32 drivers installed fand showing up on the device manager.

But right now, I can't seem to get the Maximus Xtractor to show up in the device manager so I can install its driver. I've so far tried plugging it into different USB ports on the same computer and nothing yet. But the Add Hardware wizard won't let me 'add' it.

shadowzeroX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay what type of drive are you flashing if you say i will guide you through it i can guide you through all of them my AIM is statsdakid message me if you need help still.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a lite-on 7k series drive... so I need this maximus to work.

I thought about going the serial port route, but realized that I do not have an old-school serial cable lying around for the purpose.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been able to contact consolesource, and given what the guide from the xtractor's website says, the thing should be auto-detected for me to install its USB port software. So that being said, looks like the one I got isn't working correctly, and will need to be RMA'd.
frown.gif

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, according to the tracking, the xtractor has made it there. But I've yet to get a message from consolesource saying that they've received it, and/or when I'll be able to get my replacement.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy, it just keeps getting better...

Short and sweet, finally got the replacement xtractor. But I am now missing the cable that links it to the spear that I would need to use for my 7k series Lite-on drive.

Any suggestions? I would rather not have to order another spear at the way this is going, but I was hoping to have been able to start doing this almost a month ago now.
frown.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The cable is just 5 pins going right through (no crossovers, no devices) all you need info wise on the PCBs and even if you did not feel like just sorting it then it is a fairly standard connector that you could probably pick up from an electronics supply shop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum