1. TehCheez

OP TehCheez Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I've tried multiple compression types with 7zip and WinRAR and I'm only saving roughly 2gb on both my SX OS and Hekate NAND backups.

I purchased the Switch used (couldn't find a new exploitable one at any local stores) and it came with FW 6.0.1 installed. The second I got the Switch out of the store I did a factory reset and cleared everything, turned airplane mode on, and did a NAND backup with both SX OS and Hekate in that order. My NAND should be basically empty but I'm still not getting the same compression that most others are getting. I've followed the guides on the forums and did some research on different types of compression with no luck. Since I bought it used and content was on it previously does that screw my NAND backup or am I just missing something while compressing it?

2. asnka

asnka GBAtemp Regular

Kazakhstan
    winrar?

3. TehCheez

Newcomer

United States
    Are you asking if I tried WinRAR or what WInRAR is?

As I mentioned, yes I've tried WinRAR. If you're asking what WinRAR is in some good compression software that's old enough to drink: https://www.rarlab.com/

4. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    whether your nand is full or empty it occupies the same amount of space

Zidapi likes this.
  5. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    Incorrect, the data is still "zero" if it's nothing written. My brand new Switch I managed to get down to 12gb from 32gb with 7zip LMZA2 compression.

tiliarou likes this.
  6. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    uhm i used winrar to compress my nand and it is now 330 MB or so

7. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Sweden
    Think my Nand backups are like below 2Gb or something, can't remember 100%
    Then I'm just using latest winrar version with standard settings :>

8. shadowofdarkness

shadowofdarkness GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Your nand image is encrypted doesn't matter if it is empty and zeroed out. It will not be zeros that you are compressing.
    The encryption would be bad of it was as them people world be able to tell where actual data was in the image.

chippy likes this.
  9. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Data is not actually deleted but marked as deleted. It remains in the partitions lowering the compression ratio. Only way is to clean it up by zeroing out and reformatting them.

10. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

France
    Same, my .rar is arround 500mb

11. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

Austria
    I compressed my NAND backup with WinRAR and it's now about 480 MB. :)

12. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

>people unironically using WinRAR after the 90's

sup3rgh0st, Draxzelex and 8BitWonder like this.
  13. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Dont think people get this or forget that it's encrypted

14. gg11

gg11 Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    When you perform a console "reset", it only resets the settings to stock settings, delete some files in the filesystems inside, but like on a computer when you delete a file, the underlying "dirty" block" (eg old data) are not erased. Only a full reformat of the filesystems would really clear the old block. It's not done by the factory reset.
    So when you try to compress the dump, you try to compress all the old blocks of the previous owner as well...

Maybe with hactool memloader, you could backup the files, and rebuild a clean empty filesystem ?

15. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Ok everyone, your all for getting that the nand is encrypted. Meaning all data (blank or not) is random crap so people can't see what's in the data. The blank space is encrypted too so people can't see where in the drive (nand in this case) is the real data for them to focus on decrypting.
    It's the luck of the draw on how small your nand will compress using the same tools and same settings.
    You have the SAME chance of the nand to compress worse when you delete something (actully 0ing out the space) then putting something onto the nand because it's encrypted

16. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Gambia, The
    No. When nothing is installed, it should be around 2 to 2.5gb or around that ballpark.
    I have stuff installed and the backup is around 4gb compressed. You can get way better than 12gb.
    Of course it matters, hence the huge compression that is possible

17. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    I noticed I f-ed up. It wasn't my brand new Switch, it was my original Switch it was from... DERP!

18. shadowofdarkness

shadowofdarkness GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Zeros compress well, encrypted zeros do not compress the same. Since they are no longer zeros.

A nand image is encrypted data even the empty space is encrypted. You will never get that good of compression in this case. Some variation is possible on compressed size depending on the encrypted data but it will never be all zeros.

chippy likes this.
  19. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    Someone posted instructions to zero out the empty portions of a nand image, to make it compress like it was new. I don't remember what thread it was in tho, and not sure what you should search for, but look around if you're particularly keen.

20. TehCheez

Newcomer

United States
    This makes sense, I was thinking that might have something to do with it. I may look into using hactool in the future but that'll have to be when I've got a free weekend or something. Even tho both my backups are taking up roughly 60gb, I've got backups and that's what's important.

@gg11 mentioned what tool to use for it. I may look into it in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Attempting, compress, backup