OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all,

Quick question.

I booted into CFW , went to install an NSP Using DBI (in Windows) , and rather than selecting to install to MicroSD I accidentally selected to install to NAND. Once I realized what I did, I went into DBI on the Switch and removed the title from NAND and then installed it to the MicroSD.

My question is: If I boot into OFW in the future, will there be a trace somewhere of the NSP having been installed on the Nand and therefore be banned ? I do have a backup of OFW that I took in Hekate a few weeks ago that I could restore, but would prefer not to unless what I've done above has made my OFW dirty..

Thank you

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all,

Quick question.

I booted into CFW , went to install an NSP Using DBI (in Windows) , and rather than selecting to install to MicroSD I accidentally selected to install to NAND. Once I realized what I did, I went into DBI on the Switch and removed the title from NAND and then installed it to the MicroSD.

My question is: If I boot into OFW in the future, will there be a trace somewhere of the NSP having been installed on the Nand and therefore be banned ? I do have a backup of OFW that I took in Hekate a few weeks ago that I could restore, but would prefer not to unless what I've done above has made my OFW dirty..

Thank you
if emummc, No.

Reactions: zxr750j

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The NAND is your emuMMC in this case, you should be filling it up with games (otherwise it's a wasted 32 GB of space on your SD)
  • that's why the whole semantics in he NS scene is mighty confusing for newcomers...
  • and that's also why Sthetix suggests to reduce the size of EmuMMC at partition time mine's only a few GBs

Reactions: jkyoho

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • that's why the whole semantics in he NS scene is mighty confusing for newcomers...
  • and that's also why Sthetix suggests to reduce the size of EmuMMC at partition time mine's only a few GBs
No, you're emuMMC isn't only a few GBs. It is either 32GB or 64GB depending if you're using a OLED Switch or not. There's no way to make it smaller

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
No, you're emuMMC isn't only a few GBs. It is either 32GB or 64GB depending if you're using a OLED Switch or not. There's no way to make it smaller
there is: on my Switch OLED my whole EmuMMC setup is 12Gb instead of 64Gb. The OS itself only takes around 2.5Gb, and the USER (virtual) partition of the EmuMMC accomodates whatever rest of the overall space specified in the Hetake's partition tool (I specified 12Gb overall). I install all my games to the "HOS" partition (the SDcard partition that you see when mounting it to a computer) so I have absolutely no use of emulated NAND space. HorizonOS doesn't care the amount of NAND space is available. Partitionning your EmuMMC to 32gb or 64gb is a complete waste of storage space.

The only issue is that you can only do that when initially setting up a new EmuMMC, since hetake's partition tool doesn't provide partition resizing.

I'll add to my comment a couple of screenshots that showcase my setup within a couple of hours.

Last edited by MightySashiman,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
there is: on my Switch OLED my whole EmuMMC setup is 12Gb instead of 64Gb. The OS itself only takes around 2.5Gb, and the USER (virtual) partition of the EmuMMC accomodates whatever rest of the overall space specified in the Hetake's partition tool (I specified 12Gb overall). I install all my games to the "HOS" partition (the SDcard partition that you see when mounting it to a computer) so I have absolutely no use of emulated NAND space. HorizonOS doesn't care the amount of NAND space is available. Partitionning your EmuMMC to 32gb or 64gb is a complete waste of storage space.

AFAIK if DBI has access to your NAND, then it is making modifications to your NAND. Nobody who has responded has suggested any technical understanding. It is possible, that by using DBI to install and remove the title, that the system was never booted to account for it, though I don't use DBI to install anything because I don't want to even tease access to things I want to keep untouched.

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
AFAIK if DBI has access to your NAND, then it is making modifications to your NAND. Nobody who has responded has suggested any technical understanding. It is possible, that by using DBI to install and remove the title, that the system was never booted to account for it, though I don't use DBI to install anything because I don't want to even tease access to things I want to keep untouched.
I don't see how this is relevant. When installing games using DBI, install to SD card (5). I don't see the point of installing games to the emuMMC's USER partition (which is also on the the SD card).

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
H

The only issue is that you can only do that when initially setting up a new EmuMMC, since hetake's partition tool doesn't provide partition resizing.

I'll add to my comment a couple of screenshots that showcase my setup within a couple of hours.
Huh. I stand corrected then. Thanks for that information!

Reactions: zxr750j

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a level 13 poster, I would expect you to be more informed before responding. emummc resizing has been a thing for literally years. It pains me to see people who are easily perceived as being experienced, to not bother reading the changelogs or docs. I am guilty at times, but then I make it well known that I am not sure, or I myself am asking the question.

AFAIK if DBI has access to your NAND, then it is making modifications to your NAND.

Yes... but...
if you are using emummc, your nand is still in your sdcard..
YES. THIS. You give me hope.

Nobody who has responded has suggested any technical understanding.

Include yourself.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Include yourself.

What I meant by the comment is that there was no explanation or reference to as why DBI would refer to something within emummc to be "NAND". It would be prudent to assume that it is what it says it is and before trusting some post on a forum. There should be support behind it, which your comment also lacks. "Trust me bro" isn't it.

Last edited by tabzer,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which your comment also lacks. "Trust me bro" isn't it.
Ummm... what is it about EMUmmc that you don't understand? The emmc is emulated. ALL calls to NAND in this state go to your emummc files or partition (depending how you set it up).

If the quoted post "if you are using emummc, your nand is still in your sdcard.." and my response to it, isn't reasoning to you, then I don't know what else to say, other than simply RTFM. It will provide you with this information. In that sense, you're correct... you shouldn't trust a random post. But you should read the instructions before playing with things that you don't understand.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ummm... what is it about EMUmmc that you don't understand? The MMC is emulated. ALL calls to NAND in this state go to your emummc files or partition (depending how you set it up).

I understand emummc, but I, like OP, do not understand what and how DBI has access to.

If the quoted post "if you are using emummc, your nand is still in your sdcard.." and my response to it, isn't reasoning to you, then you should be demoted back to level 1 newb, and your mother should confiscate your computer and Switch. You clearly don't know what you're doing with them.

NAND is NAND. If DBI is limited to only viewing the emummc partition as the entirety of the data, and therefore mislabels partitions accordingly, then this should be emphasized--maybe even supported with a reference to the source. Not your feelings about my mother.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DBI has nothing to do with this. If you are using an EMUMMC, then any access to NAND is redirected to your EMUMMC. That's its whole purpose. If you are NOT using emummc, then of course you're using the onboard emmc. DBI will see and read from and write to whichever one you're using, and won't know the difference.

If DBI installed your game to the onboard NAND, and you're using emummc... how would the switch show the game you just installed (hint: it won't. They appear the same only at the moment emummc is created, then 2 different systems from then onwards)? Have you ever thought about this for a milisecond? I'm having a really hard time coming to grips with the fact that you've been around here since at least 2019, and you don't know these things.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/tree/master/emummc

https://nh-server.github.io/switch-...c.) are completely separate from your sysNAND.

Last edited by urherenow,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The question isn't about emummc, but the scope of DBI's access. I also don't know that OP saw the game after it was installed, only that they realized they did something using a certain method that would raise their concern.

There are many apps, and some do allow access to both physical NAND as well as emulated versions. This thread piqued some curiosity about DBI and I am not anymore enlightened to as why a modern Switch app would erroneously refer to something as NAND when it is not.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bad move. Your EmuMMC space is not wasted and your DLC, Save Data and Updates belong there. Don't resize. You gain nothing by reducing it and quite possibly create future problems. The only confusion is the noobs don't know if they are in EmuMMC,and they don't understand that once they are they effectively have no SysMMC.
This is incorrect. An unmodified EmuMMC is 32GB or 64GB but can be set to almost any size you wish. Lots of ways to do it. NXNanadManager works well. Don't modify it though. It's pointless for this use case.

I am rewriting my EmuNAND guide.(EmuMMC and EmuNAND are the same thing for all intents and purposes). Hopefully it will make it easier to understand for noobs and prevent these threads. As stated in a prior post in this thread, once in EmuMMC all MMC calls are rerouted to the EmuMMC. Infact., you could remove/write over the internal MMC and just use EmuMMC. I have seen people install Linux to SysMMC and use EmuMMC only for Horizon. While in EmuMMC any options to install to SysMMC in any applications will install to the EmuMMC on you SD.

What happens in EmuMMC stays in EmuMMC.

It's not wasted space. Don't shrink it. Use it. You can have up to 4 EmuMMC. The only time I'd shrink it is to have a SXOS compatible EmuMMC for USB loading. That's in my guide already.

The question isn't about emummc, but the scope of DBI's access. I also don't know that OP saw the game after it was installed, only that they realized they did something using a certain method that would raise their concern.

There are many apps, and some do allow access to both physical NAND as well as emulated versions. This thread piqued some curiosity about DBI and I am not anymore enlightened to as why a modern Switch app would erroneously refer to something as NAND when it is not.
There are no apps that allow access to both while in EmuMMC. The ones that access both are run in OFW and payloads. Once EmuMMC is active there is no SysMMC. Unless the Switch reboots to SysMMC first.

That said, DBI can be run in SysMMC. And whenever noobs tell me what they did I take it with a grain of salt. You can't know what you did if you don't know what you're doing.

Lots of bad information in this thread.

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Your EmuMMC space is not wasted and your DLC, Save Data and Updates belong there.

Do you mean the "internal storage" from the emummc? Because you can avoid installing updates and DLCs there, i install everything (including dlc and updates) in the microsd and keep the internal storage from emummc just for saves. DBI gives you the option to choose where to install.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto