Atmosphère version 0.8.3 has been released

37918415.png

@SciresM has just released version 0.8.3 of his Nintendo Switch custom firmware, thus marking its tenth official release. [prebreak]1[/prebreak]While the changelog itself is quite lenghty, one of the most noteworthy new features is being able to reboot from Atmosphère into Atmosphère without having to go through RCM. To put it briefly, if you're already into CFW and your Switch crashes you won't have to send your payload via RCM again as pressing one of the volume buttons will now reboot into your CFW automatically without having to send a payload once more. A simple NRO is also included in the update which will reboot the Switch into CFW when launched from the Homebrew Menu, however if the console gets shut down, either deliberately or if the battery runs out, or gets rebooted via the power menu you will still need to get into RCM to launch Atmosphère (this also applies to AutoRCM users). As such, even if this feature may prove useful to people who don't want to carry around a payload injector with them at all times, it should be noted that it isn't a coldboot solution.

Some other features include a new way to override system settings by editing an ini file in the atmosphere folder (used by default to disable error reporting and enabling USB 3.0 speeds whenever possible), a new custom warmboot firmware that doesn't perform anti-downgrade fuse checks (fixes sleep mode for users with a downgraded NAND), being able to override all apps with the Homebrew Menu rather than just a single title, bugfixes and a few other more developer-oriented features.

You can find the full changelog below:
0.8.3 is Atmosphère's tenth official release.

fusee-primary was last updated in: 0.8.3.

The following was changed since the last release:

• A custom warmboot firmware was implemented, which does not perform anti-downgrade fuse checks.
    • This fixes sleep mode when using a downgraded NAND.
    • This also removes Atmosphère's final dependency on Nintendo's encrypted PK11 binary; all components are now re-implemented.
  • The ExternalContentSource API was changed to not clear on failure.
  • Content override now supports an "app" setting, that causes all applications to be overridden with HBL instead of a specific title.
    • Note: because override keys are system-wide, using this setting will prevent using mods in games (as every game will be HBL).
  • A bug was fixed causing incorrect fatal-error output when svcBreak was called on 5.0.0+.
  • An extension was added to set.mitm to support customization of system settings.
    • These are controlled by atmosphere/system_settings.ini, see here for documentation.
    • By default, this is used to disable error report uploading, and enable USB 3.0 superspeed when possible.
  • An extension was added to sm, adding a new sm:dmnt service.
    • This can be used by a debug monitor in order to debug the registration state of various other services.
  • A bug was fixed in the MitM API that could sometimes cause a system hang during boot.
  • A change was made to the MitM API: in cases where sm would have returned 0xE15 when installing a mitm service, it now defers the result (following GetService semantics).
  • Support for booting into maintenance mode by holding */- was added to PM.
  • An extension was added to exosphere, adding a custom SMC that allows for DMA to IRAM.
  • In addition, smcGetConfig was extended to reboot to a payload in IRAM at 0x40010000 when ConfigItem 65001 is set to 2.
    • Fatal will now use this to reboot to sdmc:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin if present, when a vol button is pressed.
    • An example homebrew ("reboot_to_payload") was also written and is now included with Atmosphère.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
For information on the featureset supported by 0.8.0, please see the official release notes.

:download: Source: GitHub
:download: Releases
:arrow: Discussion Thread

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
OP is slightly misleading. fatal allows you to reboot into any RCM payload that is located in sdmc:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin . If you put the Hekate payload at this path, you can reboot into Hekate.

And this is just a personal note from me: DO NOT DISABLE THE ERROR REPORTING.

Like uh, don't. It's bad for several reasons:
  • If Homebrew crashes, you can't upload crash dumps to the issue tracker
  • Telemetry, telemetry. The error reporting is disabled due to creport. Disabling the error reporting means they get included into telemetry again, basically guaranteeing a ban.

Anyway, good release.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe i m stupid or blind , but why the release on github does not contains the full package with the kips and exosphere.bin ?
I know it is in Kosmos and other places but just wondering
They're all packaged in fusee-secondary.bin . You can get the KIPs and exosphere manually by building yourself (this is how Kosmos 'n co work).

I presume it's just done for ease of use.

Reactions: Cyan and recgame77

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OP is slightly misleading. fatal allows you to reboot into any RCM payload that is located in sdmc:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin . If you put the Hekate payload at this path, you can reboot into Hekate.
I've decided to word it that way simply because I wanted to give basic explaination of the feature so that everyone can understand what it does, afterall it's what it does with the default configuration and "rebooting from Atmosphère into Atmosphère" is what SciresM originally called it. However I always include the full changelog both for convenience and also in the hopes that if the summary & explaination is a bit too basic you can still get an idea about what's going on a bit better.

Still hey, I'm always up for positive criticism - if anyone thinks it's too misleading I can always change it!

t34p075

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get it to reboot using hekate 4.6 payload at the correct path. The reboot nro loads the payload but then says an error occurred.

What am I doing wrong?

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
So I copied everything to the microSD card, modified the loader.ini to open HBL with Zelda - Breath of the Wild as host.
Then I injected the latest payload fusee-primary.bin. Atmosphere boots up just fine.

But I decided to try the Reboot to Payload HB app, and when I press the minus button it crashes and I get "The software was closed because an error occured"

What gives!?

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I copied everything to the microSD card, modified the loader.ini to open HBL with Zelda - Breath of the Wild as host.
Then I injected the latest payload fusee-primary.bin. Atmosphere boots up just fine.

But I decided to try the Reboot to Payload HB app, and when I press the minus button it crashes and I get "The software was closed because an error occured"

What gives!?
It originally did the same for me. You need to update hbmenu, both the nro in the root of the microSD card and the nsp file in the atmosphere folder (don't install it via tinfoil, just place it in the atmosphere folder, overwriting the file if necessary).

For the record I'm using a dedicated NSP to launch hbmenu instead of a host game but there's no reason for this to not work with overridden titles aswell.

Still, rebooting to a payload after a crash works even if you just update Atmosphère and nothing else so here's a fun fact: if for any reason you don't want to update hbmenu but you still want a working reboot to payload NRO, you could just compile a homebrew that deliberately brings up the fatal error screen via fatalSimple() and then press a volume button. I don't recommend it for obvious reasons and you should definitely just update hbmenu instead, but it works!

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've decided to word it that way simply because I wanted to give basic explaination of the feature so that everyone can understand what it does, afterall it's what it does with the default configuration and "rebooting from Atmosphère into Atmosphère" is what SciresM originally called it. However I always include the full changelog both for convenience and also in the hopes that if the summary & explaination is a bit too basic you can still get an idea about what's going on a bit better.

Still hey, I'm always up for positive criticism - if anyone thinks it's too misleading I can always change it!
Yeah, I know my tone comes across as slightly accusatory, but it wasn't intended to be as such. I... have been told I'm a bit blunt :) . And yeah, that's what it was originally being called, so I suppose you're partially right in that regard.

Heichart

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, I know my tone comes across as slightly accusatory, but it wasn't intended to be as such. I... have been told I'm a bit blunt :) . And yeah, that's what it was originally being called, so I suppose you're partially right in that regard.

I don't know about others, but I always enjoy what you post. Somehow your avatar suits you mighty fine.

OT: Good job for everyone involved in this project. It's really fun to follow these updates to the homebrew community. Keep it up.

axiomjunglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason to upgrade to this version if Im on 0.8.2? My switch never leaves the house.

Also whats this for

• Content override now supports an "app" setting, that causes all applications to be overridden with HBL instead of a specific title.
    • Note: because override keys are system-wide, using this setting will prevent using mods in games (as every game will be HBL).

Wildcard option to use any title to open hbmenu vs using the album or a specific title ID. Edit the loader.ini file in the Atmosphere folder on the SD card and use "hbl_tid=app".

Just make sure to set the override accordingly:

"override_key=R" opens hbmenu when R is held
"override_key=!R" opens titles when R is held

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
This is really the best (a step closer to permanent CFW)!
Now I can swap SD cards all I want without reinjecting payload!
Heck I can even shut down properly without injecting payload a second time now!!

Would reboot to CFW work with SD card removal?
No unfortunately because then Horizon will force you to "turn off" the console.
But you can do it just fine from hekate menu.

Reactions: SaffronXL

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's useful for plenty of things. I used it 3 times today to restart Atmosphere in order to load themes.You could also reboot into lakka using this (though lakka still needs a way to do the inverse).

Skittyusedcovet

Gbatemp’s Favourite Skitty
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wildcard option to use any title to open hbmenu vs using the album or a specific title ID. Edit the loader.ini file in the Atmosphere folder on the SD card and use "hbl_tid=app".

Just make sure to set the override accordingly:

"override_key=R" opens hbmenu when R is held
"override_key=!R" opens titles when R is held

Oh! That makes sense. Thank you for letting me know. Thats a neat option if you take photos a lot(I had to give this up before for honebrew, but maybe I might update for this.).

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sx OS is better. Just kidding not gonna start this. I just realized that I was more excited in modding my swictch but I didn't touch it so far haha.

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So like if I played backups on my switch is it safe as long as I’m offline with atmosphere? Cuz ik atmosphere has that telemetry thing going on lmfao. Plus I wanna know if playing legit games online is safe with atmosphere and telemetry. Ik there is always a risk but I’m wondering how risky?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?