Hacking Atmosphere booting on 3.0.0 with latest commits

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything you boot via the recovery mode exploit is essentialy coldbooting.
"coldboot" = executing arbitrary code before the operating system boots
(a9lh/b9s/shofusel2 achieve this)
"warmboot" = executing arbitrary code within the running operating system
(savegamesploits/webkitsploits/anything else that executes arbitrary code after the os's boot is a warmboot e.g the hbloader)

what you mean is probably an untethered coldboot, which is not possible as of now.

Please don't invent your own definitions for what coldboot and warmboot means:

"Reboots can be either "cold" (alternatively known as "hard") where the power to the system is physically turned off and back on again, causing an initial boot of the machine, or warm (alternatively known as soft) where the system restarts without the need to interrupt the power." Source: Wikipedia and 20yrs embedded engineering experience.

The actual practical distinction between the two is that hardware peripherals can maintain "goofy configuration states" during a warm boot while a cold boot assures all peripheral systems are brought up from an un-configured state. It's actually quite different from what you are describing. Both warm and cold boots restart the SoC, processor, microcontroller from PC (program counter) =0x00 and OS, bootloader whatever is started from scratch in both cases.

sorry to needle you, I just don't want people to start picking up wrong definitions of terminology which happens frequently on enthusiast forums.

Last edited by gallymimu,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the definition of coldboot 4 me in the Switch case is just a non untethered full softmod that can boot into CFW from a power OFF state, the HOLY GRAIL of everything.

But no one still answered me, is this version of atmosphere shown on this thread actually loading everything from the M-SD already?

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I must be blind because I don't understand what exactly this video is showing that is new.
Does this even have any relevance to me being on 4.1.0 since OP is on 3.0.0?
If this is some sort of alpha/beta of Atmosphère, very cool just a shame nothing interesting is really shown...
Eh, maybe I'm asking for too much at such a short time, excited for the near future of Atmosphère though.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused about what is new here, I assume this is not the same as booting atmosphere through hekate to run homebrews on any firmware as we've been doing for a while now ? If someone feels like educating me that would be nice ^^ !
hekate is just a small section of atmosphere this is the entirety of it

Ric-Are-Those

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so will I still need a jig or not on 3.0.0?
I hear conflicting stories about the possibility of a softmod solution on 3.0.0 and I'd rather just buy the SX OS pro if I need a jig.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a brief video I created to show Atmosphere is now booting to HOS on 3.0.0. Not sure what can be done with it, but booting is awesome!

Neat, I had no idea this worked yet.

Anyway, still more to do before a "release" though, gotta get rid of remaining instability etc.

FYI I was right.

You're not actually booting Atmosphere here. Note at 53 seconds in, the Nintendo logo shows up -- that's because Atmosphere encountered an error, and rebooted into stock HOS.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI I was right.

You're not actually booting Atmosphere here. Note at 53 seconds in, the Nintendo logo shows up -- that's because Atmosphere encountered an error, and rebooted into stock HOS.
Lol all this waste of thread for nothing

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The time difference between when this video was posted, SciresM's initial comment, and his now realization that it never booted into Atmosphere makes me suspect he spent a potentially copious amount of time trying to debunk the video.

GraFfiX420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SciresM didn't send copious amounts of time trying to debunk the video, he just tested it himself and knew it wasn't working. I thought after I seen exosphere was responding it was booting, turns out I was wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter