Gaming ARMS first impressions

joyoshi

ICUP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Played for about 30 minutes, different character and arms every match. Feels like a very shallow rock paper scissors style fighting game, with some small variables like characters and different arms thrown in. Also motion controls seemed inaccurate, and button controls felt clunky. Had a little fun but I don't think I'll be picking it up. Might play again later to see if it can redeem itself to me.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im knackerd allready lol didnt enjoy it as much as i thoght maybe because i didnt win a single round and the vollyball is crappy!
I can agree that the volleyball is kinda meh, and it took me a couple rounds to figure out how to spike the ball. Once I figured that out I was UNSTOPPABLE! anyways, it kinda depends which way you played it. I have a feeling a lot of people used the motion controls, whereas I went towards handheld mode and used min min with the dragon hand and the big slow ball one (can't remember the name of it). It also takes a while to figure out strategies as well, such as blocking ASAP whenever someone tries to rush you.

Reactions: kingraa777

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love ARMS so much, I sucked at first but once I learned more about the controls and character specific abilities I was having a blast and it felt really great winning. Definitely will pre-order and I can't wait to go another round next testpunch

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id have to say I like it a lot actually. 4 player brawl and 3 player brawl kinda sucks... Volley ball has to be my favorite and 1 v 1's
Overall its a pretty nice game :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What, i missed the timed event? Whens the next one? O_O
Tomorrow at 8

Edit- tomorrow and sunday at 8 and then nect weekend as well. Its only for an hour

kingraa777

boom!
Trophies
XP
Country
i allmost missed it aswell lol

anyone else find it difficult to actually move left and right ? there should be a sensitivity option

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I loved it. The combat and volleyball modes were insanely fun to play and much like a Power Stone multiplayer experience like @sarkwalvein mentioned before.

There were at times 2 v 1 on combat and volleyball matches, that is just completely unbalanced because when you put 2 against 1 you're probably going to lose unless you're really good at it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i allmost missed it aswell lol

anyone else find it difficult to actually move left and right ? there should be a sensitivity option
I feel like it is a little difficult to adapt to the joycon controls.
Sometimes it was hard to avoid moving forward or backward involuntarily.
Also happened with left/right but no so often.
After I got used to it, it was easier to move around. And it was very dependent on learning how to grab the joycons correctly and avoiding losing focus and grabbing them the wrong way.

Anyway still it was more precise to use the Pro Controller and analogs, much more precise and with faster reaction. I played 30 minutes with each control method.

The joycons feel way more immersive though.

PS: I think it is a great game.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its ok. I liked it. I like the volleyball too, is a nice break from just matches. Theres nothing bad about it, Im just not as into as I thought I would be, despite me winning almost every time.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I feel like it is a little difficult to adapt to the joycon controls.
Sometimes it was hard to avoid moving forward or backward involuntarily.
Also happened with left/right but no so often.
After I got used to it, it was easier to move around. And it was very dependent on learning how to grab the joycons correctly and avoiding losing focus and grabbing them the wrong way.

Anyway still it was more precise to use the Pro Controller and analogs, much more precise and with faster reaction. I played 30 minutes with each control method.

The joycons feel way more immersive though.

PS: I think it is a great game.
For sure it's a great game. I got all sweaty playing it. :P

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

My thoughts:

• Those using motion-controls should be in a different lobby. This way it doesn't discourage that use by making it so those without it have an advantage, keeping the main focus of the game the main focus.
  • Use a rank system. This will likely be incorporated but have the player gain levels. That way, higher ranks are paired with higher ranks (usually)
  • Increase sensitivity moving in the four directions. I found myself sitting in the same spot the entire match because moving left/right would make me punch
  • Maybe make it so in order to grab, the player presses a button while punching (this is for motion controls). I found myself releasing a grab when I wanted to punch with one hand or punching with both hands when I wanted to grab.
  • Limit grab-spamming. Maybe some extra invincibility frames to let the player get out of the way of grab spammers. I found this particularly painful to deal with when going up against master mummies.
For sure it's a great game. I got all sweaty playing it. :P
Same

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Those using motion-controls should be in a different lobby. This way it doesn't discourage that use by making it so those without it have an advantage, keeping the main focus of the game the main focus.
I concur.

Using the Pro Controller is so much simpler and straight to the point whereas the Joy-Cons really take its time to get used to.

Xenoverse 2 is coming sooner than anticipated to the Switch. :P

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
It was pretty good, I really appreciate how you can train whilst waiting for an online match. Though im not sure if it was just me but I don't think the tutorial told you how to charge an ARM. I found out afterwards in the help guide that you need to hold down L to charge the left and R to charge the right, you would have a clear disadvantage if you didn't already know this, because some of the ARMs require you to charge them before being useful. They really should explain on the character select screen a character's special moves, because they can be unknown to the play unless they look it up in the guide.

InquisitionImplied

Two-cent DF
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Those using motion-controls should be in a different lobby. This way it doesn't discourage that use by making it so those without it have an advantage, keeping the main focus of the game the main focus

That will split the community. Call of Duty on the Wii/WiiU didn't feel unbalanced with Wiimote, Classic Controller, and WiiU Gamepad users in the same match

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-