ARMS first impressions

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by joyoshi, May 27, 2017.

1. joyoshi
    OP

joyoshi ICUP

Oct 9, 2015
    Netherlands
    Shoved up your nose
    Played for about 30 minutes, different character and arms every match. Feels like a very shallow rock paper scissors style fighting game, with some small variables like characters and different arms thrown in. Also motion controls seemed inaccurate, and button controls felt clunky. Had a little fun but I don't think I'll be picking it up. Might play again later to see if it can redeem itself to me.

2. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    im knackerd allready lol didnt enjoy it as much as i thoght maybe because i didnt win a single round and the vollyball is crappy!

rileysrjay likes this.
  3. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    I can agree that the volleyball is kinda meh, and it took me a couple rounds to figure out how to spike the ball. Once I figured that out I was UNSTOPPABLE! anyways, it kinda depends which way you played it. I have a feeling a lot of people used the motion controls, whereas I went towards handheld mode and used min min with the dragon hand and the big slow ball one (can't remember the name of it). It also takes a while to figure out strategies as well, such as blocking ASAP whenever someone tries to rush you.

kingraa777 likes this.
  4. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I love ARMS so much, I sucked at first but once I learned more about the controls and character specific abilities I was having a blast and it felt really great winning. Definitely will pre-order and I can't wait to go another round next testpunch

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    What, i missed the timed event? Whens the next one? O_O

6. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Id have to say I like it a lot actually. 4 player brawl and 3 player brawl kinda sucks... Volley ball has to be my favorite and 1 v 1's
    Overall its a pretty nice game :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Tomorrow at 8

Edit- tomorrow and sunday at 8 and then nect weekend as well. Its only for an hour

7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    How many hours until then?:mellow:

8. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Uhhh well its 9:25 pm for me. It was a hour and 25 minutes ago soooo about 10 and a half hours until then lol

9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay good. Then that what i'll have to do. Cortana, set my alarm! :p1ng:

InquisitionImplied likes this.
  10. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    i allmost missed it aswell lol

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

anyone else find it difficult to actually move left and right ? there should be a sensitivity option

11. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I loved it. The combat and volleyball modes were insanely fun to play and much like a Power Stone multiplayer experience like @sarkwalvein mentioned before.

There were at times 2 v 1 on combat and volleyball matches, that is just completely unbalanced because when you put 2 against 1 you're probably going to lose unless you're really good at it.

12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I feel like it is a little difficult to adapt to the joycon controls.
    Sometimes it was hard to avoid moving forward or backward involuntarily.
    Also happened with left/right but no so often.
    After I got used to it, it was easier to move around. And it was very dependent on learning how to grab the joycons correctly and avoiding losing focus and grabbing them the wrong way.

Anyway still it was more precise to use the Pro Controller and analogs, much more precise and with faster reaction. I played 30 minutes with each control method.

The joycons feel way more immersive though.

PS: I think it is a great game.

13. ceelo

ceelo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Its ok. I liked it. I like the volleyball too, is a nice break from just matches. Theres nothing bad about it, Im just not as into as I thought I would be, despite me winning almost every time.

14. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    For sure it's a great game. I got all sweaty playing it. :P

blujay likes this.
  15. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    My thoughts:

• Those using motion-controls should be in a different lobby. This way it doesn't discourage that use by making it so those without it have an advantage, keeping the main focus of the game the main focus.
    • Use a rank system. This will likely be incorporated but have the player gain levels. That way, higher ranks are paired with higher ranks (usually)
    • Increase sensitivity moving in the four directions. I found myself sitting in the same spot the entire match because moving left/right would make me punch
    • Maybe make it so in order to grab, the player presses a button while punching (this is for motion controls). I found myself releasing a grab when I wanted to punch with one hand or punching with both hands when I wanted to grab.
    • Limit grab-spamming. Maybe some extra invincibility frames to let the player get out of the way of grab spammers. I found this particularly painful to deal with when going up against master mummies.
    Same

16. Saiyan Lusitano

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I concur.

Using the Pro Controller is so much simpler and straight to the point whereas the Joy-Cons really take its time to get used to.

Xenoverse 2 is coming sooner than anticipated to the Switch. :P

17. Fluto

Fluto A potato in disguise

Apr 17, 2009
    The Moon
    It was pretty good, I really appreciate how you can train whilst waiting for an online match. Though im not sure if it was just me but I don't think the tutorial told you how to charge an ARM. I found out afterwards in the help guide that you need to hold down L to charge the left and R to charge the right, you would have a clear disadvantage if you didn't already know this, because some of the ARMs require you to charge them before being useful. They really should explain on the character select screen a character's special moves, because they can be unknown to the play unless they look it up in the guide.

18. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    The controls are so freaking fluid! Really enjoyed my time with it.

Xabring likes this.
  19. InquisitionImplied

InquisitionImplied Two-cent DF

Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Arizona
    That will split the community. Call of Duty on the Wii/WiiU didn't feel unbalanced with Wiimote, Classic Controller, and WiiU Gamepad users in the same match

20. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    i didnt realise the charge untill later in the testing :/