Arkane's Dishonored series will be going on a hiatus as dev looks to focus on multiplayer games

header.jpg

Arkane Studios is a development team with branches in both France and Texas, where they create popular Bethesda-published franchises such as Prey and Dishonored. Their latter series, Dishonored has seen critical acclaim in the three releases it's seen since its its inception in 2012. However, it looks like the studio wishes to move on from those games and focus on something new, according to an interview with VG247. Arkane's lead designer, Ricardo Bare, states that "I can’t say definitively what might happen down the road, anything could happen, but Dishonored is resting for now," meaning that the series won't be having any new entries for the foreseeable future.

Instead, the plan is to look into a potentially new IP, with a focus on multiplayer. "Being able to incorporate more online sharing or multiplayer type stuff, we totally might do that. It’s interesting because, for a while, there was this push with a bunch of big publishers to force teams to include multiplayer modes. I feel this was super destructive because you end up with a team that’s made a really compelling single-player game, but they were forced to tack on this deathmatch mode or whatever."

Their most recent release, the standalone DLC; Dishonored: Death of the Outsider was a critical success, but not a commercial one. The game prior to that, Prey 2017, was also loved by fans and critics, but failed in terms of sales.

:arrow: Source: Interview

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I assumed we were talking 1, which I still say is one of the best ports out there. 2, I'd say wasn't as perfect, but I still got it to work on low settings when I still played PC games on an iMac with bootcamp. It does look like a lot of people did have issues on launch, though, upon looking up some PC version reviews.

Ye. I can't deal with low when I got my NASA computer beside me y'know, really scared me away from this lol

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They can take a break. I just recently started playing Dishonored death to the outsider. Gotta say this is the most boring if not the worst entry of the series. I drppped it and maybe will pick it up if someday they decide to make a sequel.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And another fallen to the allure of multiplayer.

Anyway I am not sure what to think about Dishonored. Though I should probably start by saying I absolutely adored Thief and at least the first sequel, the third was amusing in its own way but clearly a victim of design for console. We do not talk about the reboot in polite conversation, it may be worth noting however that upon getting said title that some saw Dishonored as the "successor" series.

It was a fine and worthy game in its own right but never quite escaped the shadow of thief for me, or at least "if the thief people had done something in this sort of engine"'s shadow. There was also a lot I would have changed about it. I am told some of that was actually done for the sequel, though they started getting a bit too creative in other areas. Guess I shall have to sit down and go through it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1