• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Arizona supreme court brings back 1864 Abortion ruling

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget the prayer circle speaking in tongues before the ruling.
Out of context, the entire thing seems entirely counterproductive and bizzare. With context, it isn't much better.

When I still went to church one time I decided I'd try "speaking in tongues" and just started blurting out straight jibberish in the middle of my youth group sermon. Everyone in the room immediately assumed I'd been taken by the Holy Spirit, and that I wasn't merely conducting an experiment on the gullibility of others in a religious setting.
People in such high places of power doing stuff like this is irritating.
But props to those lawmakers for shooting their own party in the foot just before a major election, I guess.

Reactions: The Catboy and Xzi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't forget the prayer circle speaking in tongues before the ruling.
Out of context, the entire thing seems entirely counterproductive and bizzare. With context, it isn't much better.
Ngl, if I saw that shit outside of any place I am working, I am supporting anything they are against. American-Christian faiths are fucking insane cults

Reactions: Xzi

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ngl, if I saw that shit outside of any place I am working, I am supporting anything they are against. American-Christian faiths are fucking insane cults
Here, here. I'm baffled why religion should have any sort of grip on the people who reject it. So much for land of the free, eh? With any luck, it will continue to be a dying trend. Christian Nationalism is a plague on this country.

Reactions: The Catboy and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Arizona wasn't even a state when this law was first enacted. Thankfully Arizona's AG, a Democrat who won her election by less than 300 votes, has already declared she won't be enforcing it. Elections have consequences far beyond just president.

Reactions: KingVamp

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arizona wasn't even a state when this law was first enacted. Thankfully Arizona's AG, a Democrat who won her election by less than 300 votes, has already declared she won't be enforcing it. Elections have consequences far beyond just president.
The law was in place when women could not vote and you could own another person as property.
Let that fucking sink in.
The justifications to gain a tighter grip on women's rights are unbelievable.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here, here. I'm baffled why religion should have any sort of grip on the people who reject it. So much for land of the free, eh? With any luck, it will continue to be a dying trend. Christian Nationalism is a plague on this country.
Honestly, I can see places like the North Eastern states continuing to be pretty mild with their religious views and the West coast continuing whatever they’re doing. Unfortunately, American-Christian cults continue to have a lot of power and influence in the Midwest and Southern states. The biggest problem with many of these areas is isolation. When I was living in Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky, you literally can’t escape these groups without just straight up moving. Which only compounds the problems because people are moving away and only making these areas more isolated. Visiting my wife’s family and some of my friends down there, I am regularly seeing shit like this popping up
IMG_2209.jpeg

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's super interesting to watch them destroy their own party right before an election

https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/legaldocs/gkvldedzwvb/04092024arizona.pdf

I think you're right that this is will harm Republican candidates in the election this fall. But that doesn't mean the judges on their Supreme Court were wrong. As the court case file you linked states right at the beginning, it's a case of statutory interpretation and application, not questions of fact. The law is on the books. How many years did Arizona have a Democrat-controlled legislature that could've repealed this law? (I don't know the answer to that, but you know what I'm saying.) Neglecting what easily could've been done when Democrats had the power to do so is what led to this. But noone on the news will say that out loud.

lerpderp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're right that this is will harm Republican candidates in the election this fall. But that doesn't mean the judges on their Supreme Court were wrong. As the court case file you linked states right at the beginning, it's a case of statutory interpretation and application, not questions of fact. The law is on the books. How many years did Arizona have a Democrat-controlled legislature that could've repealed this law? (I don't know the answer to that, but you know what I'm saying.) Neglecting what easily could've been done when Democrats had the power to do so is what led to this. But noone on the news will say that out loud.
You can just say you hate women, you don't need to add that extra gobbledygook

Reactions: supermist

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really wish Democrats were as cool as Conservatives make them out to be. But instead, they do the bare minimum of caring and hot hunting homeless people for sport. Republicans make it seem like even the most basic of empathy is too much for society

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish Democrats were as cool as Conservatives make them out to be. But instead, they do the bare minimum of caring and hot hunting homeless people for sport. Republicans make it seem like even the most basic of empathy is too much for society

I don't know what "empathy" has to do with it. It's a legal question .. here's this law that was passed over 100 years ago, and nobody's ever done anything to take it down or change it. It's still law, and it's not "unconstitutional" so there's nothing those judges could do about it. I hope the AZ legislature does repeal it, but it would be stupid to ignore that Democrats (since they're the ones crying about this) had many years of opportunity to do so but never did.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what "empathy" has to do with it. It's a legal question .. here's this law that was passed over 100 years ago, and nobody's ever done anything to take it down or change it. It's still law, and it's not "unconstitutional" so there's nothing those judges could do about it. I hope the AZ legislature does repeal it, but it would be stupid to ignore that Democrats (since they're the ones crying about this) had many years of opportunity to do so but never did.
Laws that pre-date statehood and the greater US don't remain active, there are lots of stupid ones on the books. If it was already active, Republicans wouldn't have needed to hold a vote on its restoration.

Reactions: The Catboy

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laws that pre-date statehood and the greater US don't remain active, there are lots of stupid ones on the books. If it was already active, Republicans wouldn't have needed to hold a vote on its restoration.

How old's their statute re: murder?

Arizona was a US Territory when the statute was made effective. Statehood is irrelevant.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How old's their statute re: murder?
Definitely one that would've been updated at least once during the 1900s.

Arizona was a US Territory when the statute was made effective. Statehood is irrelevant
Arizona was a confederate territory from 1861 to 1865, not a US territory. Seems pretty relevant.

JGSHEW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would they repeal it? Did almost anyone in Arizona even know about the law's existence? The law was unenforceable during the Democrats' time of legislature control as that was before Roe v. Wade was struck down. The law's existence was both a moot point and I think probably largely unknown so why would they have spent legislative time on repealing an unenforceable law, even if they did know about it?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arizona was a confederate territory from 1861 to 1865, not a US territory.

Incorrect. Arizona became a US Territory in 1863.
Post automatically merged:

Why would they repeal it? Did almost anyone in Arizona even know about the law's existence? The law was unenforceable during the Democrats' time of legislature control as that was before Roe v. Wade was struck down. The law's existence was both a moot point and I think probably largely unknown so why would they have spent legislative time on repealing an unenforceable law, even if they did know about it?

It has been part of the criminal code there all along. It wasn't hidden from view. Anyone who worked as a prosecutor, criminal defense attorney, member of the legislature, or judge has seen it. Or else they've been negligent at their job. I find it pretty unlikely that EVERY such person in Arizona for over 100 years has been that neglectful.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Incorrect. Arizona became a US Territory in 1863.
Confederates had lost effective control of it by July 1862, but the area controlled by the Union only covered about half of Arizona as we know it today. The Civil War was ongoing until May of 1865, and so the confederacy was still claiming ownership of the territory until that time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol