Are you independent?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm 24 and I'm not independent, mainly because of that thing called "education" that sucks up my funds dry and removes any spare time I may have used for actually working and getting any form of salary. I wouldn't be independent even if I wanted to - I just can't at this point in time. :P

That being said, you can use public transport, y'know.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, I can take the bus. But the problem is what to do. I've never been "on my own" before. Without any friends, I don't see much to do

I have a very narrow opinion on life. Go school, go home, go on internet.
Find a girlfriend. All of a sudden you won't have time for Internet or money for the bus fare. :tpi:

I kid, I kid... but yeah, if you have nobody to talk to, find someone. It's not like you live on the moon. ;)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've lived a life of total freedom.
Meh, I can do whatever I want c:
Got me own car luckily.

Also OP, you might want change your font colour to the default.
It's kinda annoying to read on the black theme.

Reactions: Attila13

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 24 and I'm not independent, mainly because of that thing called "education" that sucks up my funds dry and removes any spare time I may have used for actually working and getting any form of salary. I wouldn't be independent even if I wanted to. :P

Education....i feel u. I am in the same situation and being dependent of parents when you are older as annoying as fawkes. Luckily, I am saving all my money from work and remaining scholarship $ to rent an average apartment and live on my own. This is still a big challenge because if I keep studying to become a doctor of some kind, my wallet will not survive.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
23, still in my parents house. Has a job, tomorrow a car, and women.

I live in America, id like to say im damn independent.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been relatively sheltered my whole life. I'm 16 years old, and able to drive, but I'm forbade to do so, because we only have one car that's barely functioning. I'm not allowed to walk anywhere past our street without parental guidance...Busses are strictly forbidden, unless I'm with my Dad.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
live with my father but he is rarely home recently so I've been hit with forced independence. to be honest it's daunting at first but I find using facebook to arrange a hangout with peeps from school helped. sometimes I go to the mall to just browse to see what is available these days, I recently bought a basketball so I could go to a nearby park to shoot hoops. I also go on random walks downtown to explore and find little shops and such (Yesterday I found a gluten free bakery. decided to try what is the most delicious brownie ever to pass my lips and even found a cereal thats no longer made in Canada {looove my cocoa pebbles you lucky Americans you})

the key is to just get out and find excuses to stay out there. it's been working great for me.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you don't have to drive to be independent. I've lived on my own away from parents since I turned 18 and I didn't drive till I was 25. still only relied on myself tho.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
I'm 21, and I'm still living with my mother.
Studying costs a hell lot of money, and I don't feel like being ready to move away with my husband and daughter, even though I love them.
He's studying too, so we need at least somebody to babysit (daughter is only 2 years old).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting topic with people in some interesting situations. Assuming you do not live in a warzone or are not properly ill being 16 and not able to beyond your block seems overly harsh. I just recall at 13 it was quite normal (funds allowing) to wander off to London for the day with a few mates to go skateboarding, go to a concert or some such all with no means of contact (being mugged for it or losing a mobile was worse than not having one for the day, not that anybody could get me to have one) and no set time to be anywhere. Granted the stay awake all night and come back the next day trick was frowned upon until we were about 16.
For the most part it was "come and go as you please though it is occasionally nice to see you, there will be occasions where Family Shit ™ needs to be done but advance warning will be given of those, there will be times when you will have to cook for yourself and others, you will be expected to sort a lot of things for yourself (clothes shopping, clothes washing, repair of your bike....) and if you are going to get drunk/have a few drinks then do it around here or at a friend's and not out on the street, however if you get in over your head or want some advice then just ask and someone will try to help". The only exception to that was "if you throw up, you clear up".

I lack motorised transport at present but that is because it is kind of pointless -- I can get anywhere in town within an hour on foot (at the widest it barely reaches 10km and I am usually based in the middle), less if I grab a pushbike or skateboard (and I hate walking so I usually do). If I am working away it is typically not a problem either (I often find the best way to learn my way around a place by sight is to walk randomly for 40 minutes and take the long way back). I have been thinking about getting a motorbike or putting myself on insurance for something but I am not sure I want the effort and expense of keeping an engine running on top of the electronics I already have. That is as much as I can not be bothered to charge properly for work so I am not so flush though.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Er, why so worried about going out to the mall and stuff without friends.
No point methinks. The mall and shopping in general is horrendously boring alone.

Anyway, i'm definitely not independent. I still live at home, and can't drive (i'm 21). Buut I can do things by myself if I have to, I just don't like to.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm 13 and I'm pretty independent. Of course, I need shelter, food and stuff like that, which my parents give me. But I can freely go anywhere in my town(even though it's really small) and use the bus whenever I want('cuz I have a card for free bus transport :lol: ). I also don't need money, because of scholarships in programming. To add to that, I'm going abroad when I graduate, so I'll be completely independent then. The reason why I'm so much at home, on the computer, is that I don't have enough time to go anywhere(school, extra lessons, table tennis training(everybody needs to have a sport :D ) and no time for other activities. This is especially apparent when I'm in second shift and I can get up whenever I want, which takes time away.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a license yet because it's so damn expensive and neither me or my mom owns a vehicle because of the same reason.
But it's not like I really need a car anyways, bicycling is more than enough, for longer distances I go by train. And in larger cities I use public transport.
When we go out in the summer for fun we usually go with family of ours anyway.
Only thing I would ever want one for is helping my mom with grocery. Hopefully that will come true within a year or two, I studying right now so there's only so much I can do.

(BTW you can only get a license once you're 18 in Sweden)

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 24 and I'm not independent, mainly because of that thing called "education" that sucks up my funds dry and removes any spare time I may have used for actually working and getting any form of salary. I wouldn't be independent even if I wanted to - I just can't at this point in time. :P
same as Foxi here... 24 and no money/time due to "education"
luckily, I'm finishing my college degree this year :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM