Are you independent?

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I live at home, but financially I'm independent, thanks to the wonderful Finnish system called student allowance. I use that money for clothes, games and jewelry and other nice things on top of stuff I need for school. I can drive, but don't have a car of my own, though I usually get to use either one of my parents cars if I need to get somewhere, or can take the scooter.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I live with my parents, but I am financially independent. I have a good job, a car I'm leasing, and money saved up. I still live with my parents because it's the best way to save money for my investment.

earlynovfan

Delusional
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 18, just about to graduate and moving in late July to go to college. Though I hope to be able to move out of my parent's house sometime in June for a short while. (Living 5 miles out of town sucks!)
I don't have a job, but I do have a license (with no vehicle to call my own).

So, I'm somewhat Independent, just not really financially wise :\

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I live at home, but financially I'm independent, thanks to the wonderful Finnish system called student allowance. I use that money for clothes, games and jewelry and other nice things on top of stuff I need for school. I can drive, but don't have a car of my own, though I usually get to use either one of my parents cars if I need to get somewhere, or can take the scooter.
Yeah, not only is education free but we actually get paid monthly to study. You can focus more on your studies without having to think about getting a job at the same time. Damn having to pay for university, can't imagine in what kind of situation I would be in if that was the case.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm 20 and still living with my parents, and that's probably not going to change before I finish my studies, and I don't have enough time to do a job on top of that.
Also, my school is 10mins away by foot, so moving away would bear only little advantage and burden my parents 'cos of the rent.
On the topic of moving around freely, I've been allowed to go around freely in town since I was 15, as long as I let them know beforehand.
I don't have a driving license but bycicling is more practical and generally faster where I live, and I tend to use the train for long distances,but yeah, I couldn't get by without my parent's support.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I am independent. I moved to Florida from up North.. 1,400 mile. Just for me and my bestfriend of 20 years. We have been here for 5 years now. We dont know anybody at first but now we have some of them. I love here! One reason: Tropical!!!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Things do sound different here in the UK (and perhaps Europe too) compared to the US - I'm.... not exactly a similar age hehe, but this is an interesting read concerning my kids: my eldest lad is now 13, and I've no problems whatsoever giving him the same sort of freedom/independance that FAST6191 had at that age too (as did I). He's no problems going out on the bus into town with a few quid he's earned buying things, with or without friends, and I've no problems letting him (beats me being a taxi driver hehe). Now if he comes home ratarsed or high as a kite then I'll bounce him off every wall in the house, but that's not a problem (or an issue here).

Think (over here at least) we reckon giving our kids this freedom allows them better footing into the real world for when they fly the nest: not wanting to sound disrespectful to the OP but if my lad is posting something like that on a messageboard when he's that age I'll be one upset dad....

But seriously, this 'get out there son!' attitude I started back when he turned 11, and he was scared of the whole idea at first, but then he's got the friends that will have helped. OP: good to hear you got out there anyway, aside from the slight transport problem (made me giggle that one, sorry!) I bet it wasn't that bad! The more you go out, the easier it'll get too I'm sure...

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Being independent might not be that fun. I'm 25, I have my master thesis defence in July, I'm also starting full-time corporate job on 3rd June. I realised it's pretty much one way road and it's kinda scary :D. Up until now I didn't have to worry about rent or money for food and stuff, my parents covered my primary needs. It's the end of my carefree life.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
wow
well im 23
have lived on own, but it sucked the big one, moved back home and sorted out an extension

Girlfriend & me and brother have one side of the home, parents have the other (shared kitchen, lounge and dining room, but we all have own fridges & Freezers bathrooms and everyone pays rent to mother)
would live with just the Girlfriend but shes in Uni so cost wise a lot cheaper in current setup and stuff takes up lots of space

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read, play video games, watch some shows. If I don't feel like cooking I'll hit up some ma and pa shop. If being at home bores me I hit up a hiking trail or put a boat into the river. I have plenty to do so I'm never bored, well should be if it wasn't for fact, I'm always bored.

And unless you're married or been together awhile, don't move in with your man/lady.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 17, I have a job as a secretary, I own my own car (which I worked and paid for), and I have money in savings. When I turn 18 I'm moving out, so yeah I'd say I'm pretty independent :D.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm 36 soon to be 37. I have a wife and a son. I own 2 cars and a house. I've been employed with the same company for 16 years soon. I've been independent since turning 18 when I joined the Army.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah, not only is education free but we actually get paid monthly to study. You can focus more on your studies without having to think about getting a job at the same time. Damn having to pay for university, can't imagine in what kind of situation I would be in if that was the case.
So Sweden not only has the fastest and cheapest internet, but treats studying as a paid job. What's up with your country? :creep:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The fuck am I still doing here in Indiana? I don't have the money for a car, college, ect. Why am I not there?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fuck am I still doing here in Indiana? I don't have the money for a car, college, ect. Why am I not there?
Normally I would have done something like
http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/indiana/indianapolis/index_centigrade.htm
http://www.holiday-weather.com/stockholm/averages/

But then I looked at the numbers.... temperatures are about the same, rain might actually be less and snow.... well people know how to handle it there and percentage wise it might not be that bad either.

GBAtemp Nordic commune?

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Indeed :D Sure, you'd get more money if you had a job (my allowance was 150€/month this past year), but it was enough for the school books and other things I need, and even bought a brand new laptop ^w^

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[study allowance was] enough for the school books and other things I need

By and large if you are buying school textbooks you are doing it wrong. Doubly so if you live in a country with one of the best library systems in the world.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast