Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dkelley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh yes, and I can't personally live without apple specific software like iMovie and iPhoto. I've never used anything nearly as effective and efficient on windows... and my career as a software developer is mostly focused on creating windows apps and working professionally with tools like this.

To the person who said that the concept of mac vs pc is wrong and it should be mac vs hp vs dell vs alienware etc... um, why? sit down and use an alienware box running windows, an hp running windows, and a dell running windows. can you honestly tell the difference assuming they're all up and running well? seriously, without checking the specs in control panels etc.

Now sit at a mac and use it. so you really think that your argument is valid?

while what you're probably trying to say is Windows vs OSX is really what people should be comparing, the pc is typically considered the standard windows box (which is wrong since macs can run and install windows legally and very effectively... it's actually supported and encouraged by apple to increase market share and make the "switch" easier), and the mac is typically considered the ONLY osx box (legally speaking, it's possible to hack-install osx onto certain pcs, not all though (I've tried it with various success)).

So the standard argument terminology of PC or Mac is quite correct. Arguming semantics is actually incorrect since what most people accept as the correct term typically ends up becoming the correct term, even if it's actually "wrong". That's a sad but repeatedly proven true fact about humanity, language and, specifically, english.

In the end I think you'll just end up confusing people with your argument...

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
The whole concept of Mac or PC just shows the person knows little about computers. It should be asked Mac or Dell or HP, or Alienware or [insert other company name here] that markets ready made computers.

Lol the irony in that statement is deliciously rich! Anyways a true geek should be proficient with all OS's, or atleast all OS's available to them. Anyone who argues about which OS is the "best" is a toolbag and probably suffering from buyers remorse (especially the apply fanboys).

Also: Linux FTW.

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was particulary satisfied with pc (xp on it) but since Vista I switched to Mac and I'm really satisfied with it, even if I do some xp from time to time (with BootCamp) to play games or do XP specific stuff.
What I particulary like in MacOS is the UNIX legacy, and that's why I also like GNU/Linux systems too but I prefer Quartz (MacOS) graphics to KDE or Gnome.
I find MacOS GUI always extremely clear and simple (compared to windows xp or GNU/Linux distros).
What I dislike in Mac is : the price, the vendor lock-in which is a good sh*t.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PC, due to cheap customisable/upgradeable components. Linux, too.
happy.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dkelley said:
Why the hell would anyone need a pc except for the cheap price? since mac's run windows just as fast as pcs run windows with a quick reboot and even if you run windows apps within a window on a mac using parallels or vmware fusion it runs at virtually full speed, there's absolutely zero reason to own a pc unless you can't afford a mac.

that being said, the price factor is a real problem for many people and I totally agree with the idea of buying a nice pc for $500 rather than having no computer at all. but I'll take the ability to run mac osx with it's 10000 times better command line (for us power users) and it's far more responsive and quick to use gui PLUS the ability to run windows apps perfectly within a window on my mac. There's zero reason not to do that if you can afford it.

learning osx is dumb simple, and taking advantage of it's incredible configurability thanks to scriptable folder actions makes OSX a far FAR more customizable and powerful gui based OS for us power users than windows will ever be.

when OSX came out, windows xp trumped it for configurability and power user stuff (other than the amazing osx bsd-based command line). but these days with EVERYTHING in OSX being modifyable with simple scripts that you can create visually or download from all over the internet, I repeat there is zero reason why anyone, newbie or power user would prefer windows once they take 4 or 5 days to actually thoroughly sit and learn to use OSX properly and go past the obvious basics.
I can probably think over a thousand reasons why a person should buy a PC over a MAC even if they had the money

but I will start with an obvious one
market share
MS still dominates the market with over 90% of all PC runs windows, and the general PC market share windows or linux / whatever is around 94-96%
where ever you go, you will most likely see PC's

now as too why someone would buy and use a system with very little market share is beyond me, its fairly pointless (since you most likely will never encounter OSX in almost all lines of work) and a waste of money, whats the point if you are just gonna run windows on it almost all the time?
why buy overpriced, propitiatory hardware when you can just buy a PC to do the exact same things
and PC can run OSX also with OSx86 packaged with latest OSX ver, and most packages are n00b proof (if you really wanted OSX)

now I myself have many reasons
custom built PC, ease of upgradeability and tons and tons of hardware to choose from, weather it be CPU, gfx cards, motherboards, cases, ram, PSU, theres really nothing stopping me where as there would only be able 2 choices on a mac hardware prebuilt

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a PC. Why? Because I don't really like Mac's. Nor their OS. That, and I own a Zune(not complaining, I love my Zune, and if possible, am gonna get the ZuneHD), and I love Windows 7. Plus, everything is on a PC.

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer Windows XP to Macintosh (except those really old version, like vMac for DS sort of, so version 7) and it's much easier to use compared to Macs. And I take it apart every 2nd week or so for school, just to remember if I can put everything back together again. No probs there!

PCs are epic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.