Are these the greatest games in the history of the video game industry?

The Strong Museum in Rochester, New York, recently introduced a self-proclaimed "Official World Video Games Hall of Fame", coming with a series of first-class video game legends. This list includes the following games:
  • Pong
  • Pac-Man
  • Tetris
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Doom
  • World of Warcraft
What do you make of this list? Do you feel other games would deserve a place in this list?

Source: http://www.museumofplay.org/press/r...orld-video-game-hall-fame-inductees-announced

Super-Mario-Bros-Title.jpg

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
At the very least, space invaders should've been there. Arguably street fighter 2 and league of legends as well. And agreed that everquest or ultima online deserves the MMORPG spot more than WoW.

But I gotta admit it's a pretty decent list. Doom may not have been the first FPS, nobody will deny its influence in gaming is much greater than any FPS that came before it*.

*man...I've played catacomb 3D. I honestly thought it was a wolfenstein clone. Never knew it predates that game. :P

Reactions: Deleted User

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*man...I've played catacomb 3D. I honestly thought it was a wolfenstein clone. Never knew it predates that game. :P
Understandable. It was made by iD one year before they made Wolfenstein 3D, so there was only going to be so much difference in the game engines and such.

On the topic of Wolfenstein 3D clones, though, there's always Super 3D Noah's Ark.

D

Deleted User

On the topic of Wolfenstein 3D clones, though, there's always Super 3D Noah's Ark.
That sounds... Interesting? I actually don't know what I think about it just from hearing the name and the fact that it's a Wolfenstein clone.
I'm gonna have to go look up gameplay footage of it once I have the chance to.

Mondegreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As for Pac-Man and Tetris, I know they were massively popular but did they really revolutionize gaming? I don't think so, but if I lived at the time I guess I might think otherwise.

Pac-Man was the first game with a marketable character that could be used on merchandise and stuff, so it's important for that. Tetris got so many people that had never played video games before into games, and the fact that it was a pack-in with the Game Boy contributed to the system's success, which is pretty important too.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A lot of games could replace those in the list. It's mostly a matter of personal flavour.
When it comes to impact, there are also a lot more to choose from. Think about Dune for RTS for example or other games that started a whole genre.
Also I don't like lists.

D

Deleted User

+1 for MGS - you do mean Metal Gear Solid and not the MSX game, right? I think it's a little obscure for the hall of fame. Like I guess Resident Evil will end up there at some point but probably not Alone in the Dark.
Yeah, Metal Gear Solid.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the subjects it touched on as well. Most devs at the time wouldn't have considered going near what FF6 did.

And yes, I agree 100% that it needs a 3D remake. The Android and iOS ports didn't do it justice, they look like someone tossed it together in RPG Maker XP or something with its cartoony look and whatnot.

Don't get me started on the phone abortion that SE considers a "remake" of FFVI. The only way a 3D remake that would do it justice could ever happen is if SE goes under and a more competent company acquires the FF name. Any company that would take a beautiful game like FFVI and take a big slimy shit on its art is incapable of doing it any justice. Real passion needs to be put into remaking it, although I'd rather see Chrono Trigger remade myself. I wish more games would emulate CT's battle system because it's nearly flawless imo. Somewhat turn-based but no separate battle screens, battles are very fast paced and double & triple techs kick ass. Also yes I know Phantasy Star IV had combination attacks too.

Also, sorry Robfozz, didn't even notice that you preempted my post mentioning MGS. Can't say I like the aimng in original MGS1 after playing the shit out of 3, though. I kinda like to get spotted on purpose sometimes in MGS3, lure the guards to an enclosed space and CQC throw all of them; it's fun and good for gettign extra ammo when you shake the bastards down. Also if you don't mind killing people, lure them to a storage shed, CQC throw them, then blow the shed up with TNT :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1