Homebrew Question Are someone skilled enough to make a xci mounting homebrew ?

Temaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Well... I don't know how to ask my question without launching a war. I'll try to be as neutral as possible. Please be aware that my question is just intended to satisfy my own curiosity. No war intended, no bashing, nothing bad, just curiosity.

We know we don't have an open source/closed source software to mount XCI (as SX OS does without installation) except SX OS from team executer (at least as far as I know). Recently we had Reacher17 who made a post about hacking SX OS.

I know my question would sound like "use your magic ball to answer my question" (no pun intended), but maybe someone knows if switch homebrew developers are skilled enough to make a software to mount XCI. Please notice that I am not asking if someone will make one because I know that a lot of homebrew developers are against piracy and I've read a lot of times on gbatemp that XCI mounting is mainly for piracy.

I am asking that because I know nothing about the complexity of XCI mounting and I wonder if team-xecuter are the only ones that did it because they are (were) a lot and they are very talented or if it is just because nobody else wants to do it.

Thanks

Again this is not against homebrew developer nor to promote team-xecuter nor to begin some war about something I would not expect ! Pure curiosity as I am not aware of the skilled involved

edit : sorry for the mistake in the title... And other ones in the post...

Last edited by Temaps,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be child's play for any skilled Switch homebrew programmer - it's just that they don't want to get sued by Nintendo for millions, because mounting XCI would definitely include using their copyrighted keys. And that is why it will never, ever, ever happen.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there are skilled ppl who can do that. it will never happen because it will have to involve Nintendo copyrighted code (like xecuters method did) and i doubt someone will take the afford to create it from scratch

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It would be child's play for any skilled Switch homebrew programmer - it's just that they don't want to get sued by Nintendo for millions, because mounting XCI would definitely include using their copyrighted keys. And that is why it will never, ever, ever happen.
beside sx

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't appear to be worth the trouble or risk to those who could reasonably do this. Even if it were accomplished after a lot of time and hard work, it would likely require more time and hard work for compatibility updates each time a new Switch system version is released. In other words, nobody (who doesn't make a profit) wants to do this, particularly when convenient backup loading already exists.

TX did it because it was good for business and because they were willing to take the legal risks (and the latter didn't go well for them).

Reactions: Hayato213

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't it be fairly easy to release it anonymously? I mean, maybe something posted on usenet, or anywhere through a proxy, and the link posted on reddit or here, also through an anonymous proxy (first and only post ever). Once it's posted, it would spread quickly. Why would it be required to post a method of xci mounting and tell everyone "Hi, my name is X, I live "there", this is my IP address, please come knock on my door, Nintendo and sue me?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Temaps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well you got the answer to your question, the answer is it is not happening.

Again I'm not asking if it will happen. I'm sorry if this has not been clear in my first post but english is not my main language and I might have written something that could lead to some wrong interpretation.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You don't need to hack the cart firmware.... it's just the way TX did. It's possible to make a legal XCI but it would be to open pandoras box.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doing it now would be a lot of hard work (heavily patching the FS module is apparently the most obvious way), and the people with the skills have no interest in doing so.
In the future, when Atmosphere has an open source reimplementation of the FS module, it will probably be more straightforward and maybe someone will do it.

Reactions: mathew77

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong