Hacking Are DS Game .sav files region interchangeable?

Garo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I started a file with the japanese Fire Emblem DS game and then switched ROMs to the US version (whenever it comes out), will it go smoothly?

What if I used the english patched version for the first ROM?

Is there a general rule or is it game by game?

Also, is it possible to alter the ROM by switching out game songs with other songs? Such as removing the title song of a game and instead putting in the Super Mario Bros. theme (for example)? (I would like to know for DS roms and SNES roms...)

Also, where can I find what the DSi store has available in japan? I would like to know because I want to intercept a release I think could happen.
ohmy.gif

Also, is game coding difficult? I don't know anything about it, but I'd like to do a lot of things if it was reasonably simple... But why would I think it is?
(Examples include translating ROMs, modifying snemulds, and other stuff)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Garo said:
If I started a file with the japanese Fire Emblem DS game and then switched ROMs to the US version (whenever it comes out), will it go smoothly?

What if I used the english patched version for the first ROM?

Is there a general rule or is it game by game?
It depends on the game. Some games use compatible save data for the different regional releases, but most don't. The only way to find out if the saves are compatible between releases it to try it.

Language patches generally do not affect the save data at all, so that would not have anything to do with the save being compatible with different regional releases.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experiences, unless a game was changed significantly between regions, usually a save will work for all regions. You should be cautious with specific barriers, such as inputted names and other things, especially if the English release doesn't allow for Japanese user names, etc. Having said that, however, it's always worth a try, and if you backup your original files, you have nothing to lose.

As for coding, resources like http://www.romhacking.net and ROM hacking forums on sites like this are useful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...