Update for original Xbox emulator on Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by contezero, Feb 20, 2019.

1. contezero
    OP

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2016
    Italy
    A new update for the original xbox emulator (the one running on xbox 360 for playing original xbox titles) is out. It's the Backward Compatibility title update 200. It's not clear what it does, probably enhance compatibilty for the original xbox games available also on the xbox one backward compatibility program.

This update IS NOT compatible with the hacked xbox emulator running on RGH consoles (and it doesn't seems available on xbox unity...yet) so it is useful only for people with a non rgh/jtag xbox 360.

edit: of course you can run the update on RGH console but you will lose the bigger compatibility of the hacked version.

Someone is working on it to have a combined version with the best features (for jtag/rgh consoles)

Source: not me, I am not the one working on it, just passing the info becouse could be of interest.

Last edited by contezero, Feb 25, 2019
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    That is great news!
    Somewhere I still have hope for Hello Kitty Roller Rescue to be playable on retail machines.
    The hacked emu runs it pretty much flawlessly.

3. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    I would get stoked if they added support for the Kingdom Under Fire series to the Xbox One, unfortunately I don't think they ever will, there is no support for either title, where as the 360 at least had support for Crusaders, Heroes is pretty much non existent unless you own an original Xbox. Sucks that the franchise has died considering how great the Crusaders, and Heroes titles were, Circle of Doom on the 360 was trash in comparison, and KUF 2 pretty much died before it could make it out of beta.

Last edited by TheRealNGB, Feb 20, 2019
  4. JustinCredible

JustinCredible GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2018
    United States
    ToeJam & Earl 3 and Tao Feng Fist of the Lotus please. Then I can get rid of my original Xbox finally.

5. Orbiting234

Orbiting234 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2004
    United States
    Do you know how to trigger this update to download? Just popped the original Ghost Recon into my 360 and it didn't prompt for any update. Game just fired up like normal.

6. JustinCredible

Dec 15, 2018
    United States
    Did Microsoft make a new update or did hackers? I'm confused.

7. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Ive searched but cant find any word on this.. Is this legit? If so, Lets hope it fixes the frame rate of GTA3 BC on 360 :hateit:

8. JustinCredible

Dec 15, 2018
    United States
    I'm sorry but I'm calling bs until given proof. No source was given. What's the big secret it's not hacking the Xbox One or PS4 it's just backwards compatibility on a dead system. I don't see Microsoft even bothering I mean they gave up on it while Xbox 360 was in it's prime why now maybe hackers but why not give a link?

Even sites like Realmodscene (makers of Aurora) have nothing about this that I could find. OP says it's out, where the hell is it?

Last edited by JustinCredible, Feb 24, 2019
  9. contezero
    OP

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2016
    Italy
    The update was discovered buying "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy" from the Uk marketplace on xbox 360. It's on games with gold right now.

It's an official Microsoft update

It is legit, from the deep darkness of the web is surfacing on gbatemp :bow: but it's safe to assume they are only improving emulation for original xbox backward compatibility on xbox one. Improvement on xbox 360 BC are probably only a side effect.

Now GBAtemp is not a reliable source anymore? :wink:

The info came up from a respected member of the internal forum of a site focused on...ehm...digitally preserving videogames related media. They are still releasing stuff for Xbox 360 and no, it's not true that Microsoft doesn't bother about Xbox360 piracy. The focus against piracy is reaching new heighs; sites, torrent servers and online repositories are disappearing and the rarest material is very difficult to find.

Have a look at this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/romshepherd-is-gone-other-sites-followed.525986/

Everyone is able to download an .iso of halo3 but what about that obscure DLC released only for a limited time in some forgotten region of the world? Anyway linking to piracy is against GBAtemp rules.

Realmodscene is about... modding. This update is not for modded console. I mean, you can run on an jtagged/rgh console but you will lose the wider compatibility of the hacked version (and it appears you cannot have multiple BC version installed).

Last edited by contezero, Feb 25, 2019
  10. JustinCredible

Dec 15, 2018
    United States
    I didn't say they weren't trying to stop piracy. I said that I thought they weren't interested in backwards compatibility on the 360 for original Xbox games because they haven't done an update for it in like 10 years. Nothing about that statement has anything to do with piracy. No a random person on gbatemp is not a source sorry anybody can post anything here I don't know you are you connected with the scene or something? In your original post you really didn't even make it clear if it was hackers that did the update or Microsoft itself. If Microsoft did an update it shouldn't be a mystery that some random person on gbatemp has to post it should be on IGN or some legit site but nothing so sorry but I'm still skeptical until you prove it which you still haven't. Saying "trust me it's legit" doesn't change anything. Some of what you're saying makes no sense like linking to piracy is against gbatemp rules no one asked for piracy we asked for proof that the update which you said was a real update is real how is that piracy? I trust you even less after this post because half of it makes no sense. You still didn't prove anything and what you gave a link to has nothing to do with Microsoft giving an update so we're still just supposed to take your word for it.

This is a waste of time I'm not going to bother any more I think this is a troll thread even because OP can't or won't prove what he's saying so I consider it a rumor with no source until he does.

Are they trying to improve original Xbox compatibility on Xbox One that I would believe, but Xbox One and 360 have different architectures so improving Xbox One compatibility would NOT help 360 so you made that up.

Last edited by JustinCredible, Feb 25, 2019