Hacking Arduino to provide button inputs

Emptora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am beginning a project with an arduino, the first steps of which will be controlling a nintendo 3ds via the arduino's code. I have read a little into it and experimented on my own with some luck but no solution.​
I have seen where somebody has simply soldered a single wire to a contact for each button (A, B, up, down, etc) and control it with pwm. My understanding is that 1.8 volts is the necessary voltage level. Can anyone provide some tips from prior experience? I am afraid of just throwing an attempt at it and destroying my 3ds in the process.​

Reactions: Celice

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you not have a multimeter with which you can measure this sort of thing?

It occurs at this point I do not actually know the Voltages of the 3ds controller/mainboard logic and I am not inclined to search right now, I do not recall seeing a mess of resistors or something similar previous attempts at controlling a 3ds though. However you have three main options

1) Get an acceptable Voltage in there (and hope/make sure you do not have a relative Voltage issue), whether you get lucky and have the Voltage (or at least one it can take -- it may switch on/use 1.8V but it may be able to handle up to 5V) or actually step things down is up to you.
2) Use a transistor or something similar (optocoupler, relay... the idea remains the same). Here you use the 3ds' own power supply/voltages but have it triggered by the external source, I would really only consider this sort of thing when I have actual Voltages/currents to deal with or if the item being switched sends some kind of signal/pattern I can not be bothered to replicate when connected.
3) Provide the ground instead. Quite often these things are pulled down to ground by the switches being contacted, you then get to pull them low. I do not know if it is the case here but it could well be.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kind of stuff is way out of my league, but I hope this kind of research will help people like my disabled brother potentially control the 3DS using a second device.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am beginning a project with an arduino, the first steps of which will be controlling a nintendo 3ds via the arduino's code. I have read a little into it and experimented on my own with some luck but no solution.​
I have seen where somebody has simply soldered a single wire to a contact for each button (A, B, up, down, etc) and control it with pwm. My understanding is that 1.8 volts is the necessary voltage level. Can anyone provide some tips from prior experience? I am afraid of just throwing an attempt at it and destroying my 3ds in the process.​
Remember to connect the 3DS' GND and the Arduino GND together.
Also this should be of help: https://github.com/dekuNukem/3xtDS (arduino code)
Provides code for controlling every regular input: buttons, dpad, circle pad and even the touchscreen.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a video where someone hooked an arduino up and automated hatching eggs at the daycare in Pokemon X/Y. He has a link to his code in the description if you want to look at it.

EDIT: Nevermind, his link is dead... you may be able to find it if you look around. His name is dekuNukem

matt123337

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is a video where someone hooked an arduino up and automated hatching eggs at the daycare in Pokemon X/Y. He has a link to his code in the description if you want to look at it.

EDIT: Nevermind, his link is dead... you may be able to find it if you look around. His name is dekuNukem

See:
Remember to connect the 3DS' GND and the Arduino GND together.
Also this should be of help: https://github.com/dekuNukem/3xtDS (arduino code)
Provides code for controlling every regular input: buttons, dpad, circle pad and even the touchscreen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P