Archos selling a handheld/tablet/thing

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Archos makes quality stuff, but they were always a bit on the expensive side. This tablet is relatively cheap; makes me wonder what's wrong with it. :ph34r:

Because Hardware is dead. :creep:

Seriously though, this seems like the future in the sense that the hardware side of tablet like computers isn't expensive anymore.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This was announced way back in October. And sadly videos are around of it. The mark-up is the final design.

And JXD has their own gamepads in the works as a rival. the s5600a/b and the s7300a/b. A models are single core and Bs are dual core.
Yeah I've been looking at this and the JXD models. The JXD S7300's look better than this but the Archos supposedly has a higher clock speed. It also supports the same gamepad style, dual L and R buttons(for real psx emulation) and of course all the other crap. I think the JXD's go for $150 as well.

Seems the screen has some angle issues. Not sure about the JXD though.

The actual performance of the archos cpu and the 7300b are estimated to be the same. The GPU differences however from what i have been reading is being debated. Those fallowing android SoC chips won't know witch one is better til both are out. The 5600b also has the same internals as the 7300 but with a smaller screen size and lower resolution. The lower resolution is believed to be better for emulators performance (less stress on the processor) but it will keep the s5600 from having the newest android games. At this point it's a toss up. I'm keeping my eyes on all three.
JXD needs to burn in the deepest flames of hell.

They don't KNOW how to do a kernel. Their tablets are unstable as heck, have absurd bugs (like the sound slowdown in UAE4All-SDL, which only happens on JXD devices) with some emulators, and love to crash, corrupt themselves (had to reflash mine at least 8 times) and whatever they want at the most random times.

Oh, and their support is non-existant. The S7100 has been a year on the market and only got ONE important upgrade. I bought one because they promised Android 4.0 for it, and guess what? Still nothing, and NOTHING will ever get released. I'm still stuck on 2.3 and emulators are starting to not support 2.x anymore.

If you guys value your money, DON'T EVEN take JXD into consideration.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have several of their handhelds, and while I agree with you their stock firmware are terrible, if you flash a custom rom it's quite good considering the price.

This a thousand times. What idiot outside of china sticks with the stock firmware and emulators?

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
after a lot of thinking i am tempted to sell my old archos 80g9 to buy this as a retro game console mainly and ditch my digoo to my brother
time for an upgrade :yaypsp:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There was a thread about this before. It looks nice and all but my previous Archos Android device (Archos 70) was sluggish. Granted it had far inferior specs but I'm just worried that the sluggishness could be due to their OS modifications or drivers and that it might exist on their newer devices too.

I like the design of that JXD one better.

However both of these look like they can make the center of the touchscreen harder to reach in landscape mode.

Personally I'll just be getting one of these and using with my Nexus 7: http://www.levelupgear.com/universal-products/universal-products/ROAM-Mobile-OS-Game-Controller.aspx
It's not as convenient since I can't hold the tablet while gaming, but it is rather small and saves space compared to permanently attached controls. Plus, I can use it with my laptop as well, so that's nice.
Also, my N7 case has a stand, so I can easily use the controller anywhere with a table. Placing the N7 on my lap though would be rather inconvenient, so for frequent gaming, a tablet with controls built in is definitely the most convenient.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This a thousand times. What idiot outside of china sticks with the stock firmware and emulators?
Looks like I'm not the idiot around here ;) Good job on making a fool out of yourself assuming stuff you don't know about. I'm using a Custom ROM (Bitrider) since day one.

I have several of their handhelds, and while I agree with you their stock firmware are terrible, if you flash a custom rom it's quite good considering the price.
Read above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0