Homebrew Apps/games requiring RAM expansion slot work on DSi?

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick question:

Do apps like dsLinux and games like Quake2DS run on the DSi even though they require a RAM expansion cart?

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm this? No offense Gay Little Cat (ok... that was weird to type), but wana make sure before I post back at Lifehacker (Short story: Article posted there about DS Homebrew. Someone said they work on the DSi, I disagree; wanted to double check before going back and saying "you are incorrect").

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, NO cart has been made to utilize the DSi's ram. It's not possible as of now. That's why the DSTWO is so popular; it has it's OWN extra ram for GBA emulation on DSis, with out expansions.

Some hackers have made DSi homebrew, but they haven't utilized any of the features. They're now focusing on the upcoming 3DS.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Umm, NO cart has been made to utilize the DSi's ram. It's not possible as of now. That's why the DSTWO is so popular; it has it's OWN extra ram for GBA emulation on DSis, with out expansions.

Some hackers have made DSi homebrew, but they haven't utilized any of the features. They're now focusing on the upcoming 3DS.
I know, but I just wanted to make sure I was right before posting there. I already made comments about how the guy who wrote the post/article didn't do his research ("The DSTWO is the only flash card available that can play videos" is a prime example) so I didn't want to make the same mistake.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, they will not be able to use the DSi's internal RAM to make up for the missing slot-2 RAM because they will be running in DS mode, which has no access to any of the DSi's extra hardware.

Like SifJar said though, few programs actually require slot-2 RAM to run. SNEmulDS can function with or without it, as can Quake DS, and a few others. DSLinux will *boot* without slot-2 RAM, I think, but you'd be severely limited as to what you could do with it before it crashed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +2