Hacking Apps freeze up after installing cIOS36r10, can't get r14 back

Vegan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I hope someone here can steer me on the right path towards figuring this out. I don't think I did anything wrong per se, but things are really jacked up. I'll try to be as clear and concise as possible, but if there's any questions just ask.

For starters, I'm softmodded using the guide here: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...od-any-wii.html and I'm on 4.1U. bootmii is installed as IOS because it's a newer Wii.

Anyway...
Things were great but I was having trouble getting NeoGamma to read backups even with Verbatim discs burned at 1x, so I installed cIOS36r10 and NeoGamma R6 because I'm told that on some Wiis that works better. cIOS36r10 was downloaded directly from Waninkoko and installed (selecting IOS249 in the installer).

This didn't work (NeoGamma gave a black screen at load) so I figured I'd cut my losses, go back to r14, and just load games via USB hard drive. However, the installer for r14 is freezing as soon as it starts (Wiimote permanently loses sync). I've also tried using WAD Manager to put it back the manual way, and that actually lets me select IOS249 and a source to load from... but then it freezes at "Mounting SD card..." I've also tried an app called Pimp My Wii that's supposed to show you a list of outdated files and let you install the up-to-date ones; this app freezes as soon as it starts making the list.

1) What the heck did I do to my Wii to cause all this app instability? I'm fairly certain I installed r10 correctly but obviously something went wrong.

2) How can I fix it? Is there any way at all now to get r14 back? Will that even fix the problem if I manage to do that?

Not having NeoGamma and WAD Manager isn't an option because I kinda need those. I was using NeoGamma to run Gamecube games since for some reason even originals wouldn't load through Disc Channel but they would through NeoGamma. Not having it also cuts me off from out-of-region games. And without WAD Manager I'm cut off from a lot of apps and cIOS updates. I don't want the day to come when some new game comes out and I can't play it because I need to update some IOS and can't.

I'd be happy if I could just get back to the way it was before messing around with downgrading the cIOS. I can deal with burned discs not working. I just can't find any way to actually restore the Wii to that point. I know there are ways to restore the Wii to a virgin state using AnyTitle Deleter but I'm worried that even that is going to freeze up and I really don't want to get halfway through that process only to find that I can't continue and I have a brick on my hands.

Anyone have any ideas?

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I suspect you installed a non-LU64+ compatible cIOS on a LU64+ Wii. You should be aable to recover using Trucha Bug Restorer and, of course, cIOS rev14 installer.

Vegan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of trying that, but I didn't want to break anything further until I was sure it was safe. I've seen it stated that when changing cIOSes you don't need to do TBR over again, but maybe it's a special case. Since I'm running out of ideas, I might as well give that a go when I get home.

Btw, it's an LU39 that was bought a few weeks ago and had 4.0 installed out of the box.

Of course, NOW I'm reading that LU39 has a newer drive that burned media won't work on, so I probably shouldn't have even bothered changing the IOS in the first place.

Vegan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I fixed it. What I had done wrong was installing to IOS249 when I should have been installing to IOS36. Oops!

Redid TBR process and then was able to run the rev14 installer the proper way. Thanks!

Daunteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Were you having problems with other apps aswell? The following apps go into black screen for me: FTPii, ScummVM, MPlayer, and Super Mario War Wii.
Might be more too.

I think I might have got the same problem with cIOS38 r14, is that possible?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)