Apple Lawsuit Bans HTC Android Handsets In U.S.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i c both sides of this i understand that this hurts competition of andriod v ios and it seems silly over little thing like that to get them banned although apple did give them ways to fix the infringement issue

however they infringed on copy rights that apple obviously had rights to and HTC came in and stole the idea, would u like it if you made something patent it and then someone comes and makes a copy and competes with you in the market

where i stand is in the middle this sucks but also this is right based off laws and such thats my thoughts

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Okay...so what is everyone freaking out about? I take it apple patented a certain way to search for data on an unstructured document, and HTC has been using that feature in their phones. This is one patent suit that I think may be justified. It's not like they are saying Android itself is infringing on the patent, just that certain feature.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Okay...so what is everyone freaking out about? I take it apple patented a certain way to search for data on an unstructured document, and HTC has been using that feature in their phones. This is one patent suit that I think may be justified. It's not like they are saying Android itself is infringing on the patent, just that certain feature.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Basically you're right, but HTC only used the feature in a few phones before changing it. Apple hasn't used the patented idea and are attempting to set a precedent in order to sue any and all Android devices for various other small similarities. At least that's what I think they're attempting to do. It's bullshit and unfair.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
fukk apple, they wanna make uber expensive phones, with uber expensive contracts & limited bluetooth(headset only) & limited user interface thats not customizeable & where you gotta sync to itunes just for pictures, music, & videos(which you cant delete without syncing again)(unless but camera) & no external storage. & no 4g.
but wanna ban any other phone that does all that & looks similar.
how about nintendo ban iphones/ipod tough/ipads with front & back facing cameras since there DSi had it 1st.

Reactions: 1 person

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
God...for all those that think Apple will become a Monopoly for this:

Monopoly: A person or company whom is the ONLY supplier of a commodity or good.

Apple would have to physically REMOVE all of Android, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Blackberry and any other mobile phone/tablet/media device.

Reactions: 1 person

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dislike apple for their cockiness but i must say, they do have the best products compared to anyone, in whatever they make.

Lets see:
OSX: Unable to open a simple .exe file without extra programs.
iPhone: Untill iPhone 4, you had to HACK your phone to give it easy-to-access settings. You can't get much freeware. And it costs more than a lot of other smartphones.
Macs: OOOOOh look. You can pay 2000 dollars for something you can build yourself for 600. What are you missing? just a nice looking case. What to you get instead? a PC.
You can:
Have more customization options
Run a larger variety of games
Run a larger variety of programs.
Run emulators for more consoles.
You are free to add/remove hardware to/from your computer to upgrade or to remove and replace broken parts.
Upgrade your computer whenever it falls behind, instead of paying 2000$ for a new one.

Oh boo hoo windows gets viruses.
Viruses take resources to create. No one wants to give the worse OS a virus. Its like going to war with Canada.

The ipad2: Lets see. What can it do that a tablet can't? not much. They even *Downgraded* it from the ipad 1. (seriously it has worse specs)

i don't favour windows because i am a biased person. I favour non-apple products because apple is, in no way, the best.

And back to phones: Can you give your iphone the option to call or text with a google number without going out of your way to get to the menu? I dont think so. With an android, you can make it so whenever you make a call, something pops up that says "call with google number" and "Call with mobile number" as your options.

Anyways, thats my rambling for now.

Reactions: 3 people

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So Apple's reasoning for not releasing the iPhone 5 is because they had their entire staff investigating everyone of HTC's devices for patent infringement?

Apple really does stifle the advancement of technology by keeping down other companies with better ideas.

coolo2sky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So apple pays a judge to rule in the favour of them to get a entire company out of there only business.
This is why I don't like the usa even if they payed the judge 10 million dollars eliminating a company of the entire market
is huge. Microsoft I no I don't like you but please ban Mac OS.

D

Deleted-236924

So apple pays a judge to rule in the favour of them to get a entire company out of there only business.
This is why I don't like the usa even if they payed the judge 10 million dollars eliminating a company of the entire market
Apple computers had a graphical user interface before Microsoft OSes did.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
...Are you stupid? A few phones =/= an entire company. As much as I hate the way this lawsuit turned out, I loathe even more the stupidity that is going to come out of this thread.

EDIT: Damn me and my word mix ups...

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Are you stupid? A few phones =/= an entire country. As much as I hate the way this lawsuit turned out, I loathe even more the stupidity that is going to come out of this thread.
THIS.

HTC having some products removed from there lineup is not going propel Apple into monopolizing the industry. HTC is going to continue making phones and devices and still be viable competition for apple.

coolo2sky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There never should of been software patients

Also Add this to the front page:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/19/2647362/apple-wins-ban-of-htc-devices-itc
Update: HTC just revised its statement on the case, saying that Apple's patent covers only a "small UI experience" and saying it will be completely removed from HTC phones "soon." We'll see how quickly that happens; any changes would have to first be deemed compatible with Android by Google and then approved and pushed to customers by HTC's carrier partners.
We are gratified that the Commission affirmed the judge's initial determination on the ‘721 and ‘983 patents, and reversed its decision on the ‘263 patent and partially on the ‘647 patent. We are very pleased with the determination and we respect it. However, the ‘647 patent is a small UI experience and HTC will completely remove it from all of our phones soon.

Basically the 647 patient one there being sued for note the patient was made in 1999 it woulda been big then but it isint now it basically a device that scans through a text file and find a phone number then allows you to instally say call the number basically how skype on web pages allows you to do that.

The 647 patient (A system and method causes a computer to detect and perform actions on structures identified in computer data. The system provides an analyzer server, an application program interface, a user interface and an action processor. The analyzer server receives from an application running concurrently data having recognizable structures, uses a pattern analysis unit, such as a parser or fast string search function, to detect structures in the data, and links relevant actions to the detected structures. The application program interface communicates with the application running concurrently, and transmits relevant information to the user interface. Thus, the user interface can present and enable selection of the detected structures, and upon selection of a detected structure, present the linked candidate actions. Upon selection of an action, the action processor performs the action on the detected structure.)

coolo2sky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...Are you stupid? A few phones =/= an entire country. As much as I hate the way this lawsuit turned out, I loathe even more the stupidity that is going to come out of this thread.

You're the stupid one a few phones you say? So if Google happens to sue apple and ban iPhone 3gs , iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s you saying a few phones aren't gonna make an impact then you're an idiot.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beat me to it

To avoid total disruption to its U.S. business, HTC said it would remove the feature found to violate Apple’s patent. It seems HTC won’t have to make too many drastic changes to its current process, as Apple won this round by a narrow margin. The ITC’s decision trimmed down an earlier finding that HTC was infringing multiple claims of two separate patents, instead finding that only some HTC smartphones using Android violated just two claims of one Apple patent. The patent in question is related to extracting information such as phone numbers from emails and taking an action with the information, such as making a phone call.

Essentially some lines of code that takes phone numbers out of your emails to be used.

You're the stupid one a few phones you say? So if Google happens to sue apple and ban iPhone 3gs , iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s you saying a few phones aren't gonna make an impact then you're an idiot.

This post is asinine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember me and friends would pirate movies at local libraries
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am super blessed 2 fiber runs to my house with competing companies lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lucky, I can't get yet in my hood
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got one friend that can't get fiber four houses down because of city lines
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Would be like $400 for them to install it
    Technically for a month there I had Frontier FIOS 500Mbps and Spectrum 1Gbps (they got me on Spectrum because it was a little cheaper for double the speed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speedcum
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I mean what would you really need that fast for tho, 500mb streams 4k fine. 1gb should be fine for 8k eventually. That's what I just switched to Spermrum.
    I was funny to have both networks running lol
    It was cheaper lol
    The only reason I switched was $$$
    Might have only been like 7 bucks but thats like 84 dollars at the end of the year lol
    840 dollars after 10 years
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope I can be rich enough to pay all bills annually someday
    +2
    Not that I will save the money, rather I will just spend it on other crap lol
    lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 tell uremum to start charging, then you keep the money
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I charge your wife rent at this point
    +1
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Gotta give my fans what they want...